SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: STRANGE JOURNEY

Pages: first 123 next last
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
We've been patiently waiting for Atlus to announce the DS game Strange Journey. The next in the line of Shin Megami Tensei games looks...well, strange, and we dig that in Atlus games.

It just came out in Japan last month, so hats off to Atlus for working on this so quickly. For those that missed the earlier talk on the game, it's a sci-fi first-person role-playing game that has you exploring a hole that opened up in from the bottom of our planet. Inside? You guessed it: Weird-ass demons (over 300 now!) you can summon and use against others.

We're thrilled that the release date is set some time in the Spring of 2010. The word from Japan is that this game is awesome.

http://www.atlus.com/strangejourney/home.html

I will be the first to admit I have a raging boner for this game.

What do you think? I like the concept - it's something fresh for sure, even for Atlus. It's basically Shin Megami Tensei IV. As in, the true heir of Nocturne. And yes, that is Shoji Meguro you're hearing. As awesome as ever. Oh, and you can choose what skills are inherited during fusion, like in Devil Survivor.
What the, I must get this :O
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I'm a fan of journeys that are strange without the aid of Masamune-esque modifiers. I am interested.
I'll probably end up buying it, although I still need to finish Devil Survivor, Persona 4, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, and Devil Summoner 2. :\
I am looking forward to it! I liked Nocturne a lot and have been looking forward to a sequel.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Persona 4, the only shin megami tensei series game I own, still wrapped, unopened.

I always did want to play Nocturne though.
The only SMT game I've played is Devil Survivor, so I'm not a huge fan of the series, but considering how much I love that game, I'm definitely going to pick this up.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
this game's creepy. Everything from the "weird-ass demons" to the sound effects and music screams creepy.

Cool stuff
Devil Survivor was great (on my first playthrough) then I started to hate it. Strange Journey looks more of the same but I'll play it anyway.
LouisCyphre
Strange Journey is basically this for DS:

Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
The main thing that keeps me from getting into the SMT games is that I hear they can be crushingly difficult. That's all well and good when I was a kid, but I don't have that kind of time. unless I had a gameshark...

Also, sine demons aren't really expected to level up, you have to keep catching new ones instead, and I guess It's just a weird thing of mine, but I hate having extra unused characters, or completely ignoring characters. I feel bad for some stupid reason - probably the same reason I feel bad when I haven't played Animal Crossing in a month. They care!!!
LouisCyphre

ATLUS DIAGNOSED WITH TRISKAIDEKAPHOBIA, REVEALS EXTENSIVE TREATMENT PLAN: ALL LAUNCH COPIES OF SCI-FI RPG SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI®: STRANGE JOURNEY™ FOR NINTENDO DS™ TO INCLUDE BONUS SOUNDTRACK CD, AND RELEASE DATE MOVED TO MARCH 23rd

Also, plenty of rest and fluids

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA -- DECEMBER 15, 2009 -- Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today revealed it was undergoing treatment for Triskaidekaphobia, outlining the steps recommended by physicians in order to overcome the common affliction. The extensive treatment program mandates that each and every launch copy of Shin Megami Tensei®: Strange Journey™, the upcoming first-person sci-fi RPG for Nintendo DS™, include a soundtrack CD featuring tracks from the game's haunting score, all packaged within a collectible outer box. From master composer Shoji Meguro, of Persona 3 and Persona 4 fame, the Strange Journey soundtrack is an ambient experience, combining elements of synth and electronica with ominous Gregorian-style chanting to heighten the sense of desolation and apprehension that the player experiences exploring the mysterious void.

The most direct treatment for the condition involves a slight alteration of the game's release date to March 23rd, 2010, which takes the greatest strides towards addressing the publisher's Triskaidekaphobia.

"We like all sorts of numbers here at Atlus," commented Tim Pivnicny, Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Atlus. "One, two, three, four... I could go on and on, really; they're almost all fantastic. Recently, one number has caused violent illness and nausea around the office. After consulting with our medical staff, we've decided to immediately begin treatment for our condition. We're excited to reveal that all launch copies will feature a bonus soundtrack CD, even though the game will release slightly later than originally planned."

http://www.atlus.com/strangejourney.

About SMT: Strange Journey
When the black spot appeared in the Antarctic, mankind became nervous; when it began to spread, that anxiety turned to panic. The Joint Project, convened to discuss how to deal with the expanding anomaly, decided to send in four ships carrying humanity's finest soldiers and most cutting-edge technology. The mission: to investigate what lay on the other side of what had been dubbed the Schwarzwelt and find out if there was a way to stop it from eventually covering the Earth.

You are an elite soldier hand-picked for the Strike Team, outfitted with a Demonica environment suit and posted to the Red Sprite under Commander Gore. Upon entering the Schwarzwelt, the crew finds itself forced to deal with harsh conditions, supernatural interference, and throngs of demons populating the bewildering world. What exactly is the Schwarzwelt? What awaits at the end of this strange journey? It is entirely in your hands to find out...

So, it's looking like demons level at a reasonable pace now... interesting.

I don't have much that isn't in the copypasta above, so I'll ruin your day with this.

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Q: Does this look awesome?

A: Yes, yes it does.

Boss music is great, as is the animation, and the layout, and the icons, and the -
I really love the 3D dungeon crawler aspect they're doing like in EO.
A new shin megami tensei?! I'm going to be watching this one... After I meet Louis C. Siffer from the first one, I've been hooked ever since.
Same here. Just listening to the battle music from it on Youtube and it sounds pretty awesome, which is probably one of the things that I enjoy about the SMT games, other than the challenge in the battles.
LouisCyphre
post=120208
Louis C. Siffer

Louis Cyphre
Ah, that was the spelling. Sorry, Shin Megami Tensei was trying to kill me at the time, by lining up both high angels and the big bads from hell. Piece of crap neutral path, always turning the world against you.
On a different note, Louis Cyphre had the most fascinating appearance in that game. Way to go with finding the picture, by the way. It makes him look even more creepily sinister.
Pages: first 123 next last