SIDE SCROLLER ONLINE?

Pages: first 12 next last
I am trying to make a:

- Side-scrolling
- RPG
- Multiplayer-Online (peer-to-peer type servers)

It may remind you of Maple Story but think about it as more of a Gang Garrison 2 rip off

What kind of engine can I use to create the online multi-player element? start from scratch using C++?

any kind of insight would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest starting from scratch. If you're intent on starting with a project such as this - I'm pretty sure the game "Soldat" can be another point of reference.

what programs would you suggest I write this game with?
Game Maker
Ika

You might want to go to this website for more info on Game Maker.
Construct is also worth checking out. I don't know if it can do online multiplayer, but it's definitely capable of making side-scrollers.
The "online" part of this might really kill you. Even with all the object network handling done for you in an engine like Acknex, it might still be tricky to do.
post=113342
The "online" part of this might really kill you. Even with all the object network handling done for you in an engine like Acknex, it might still be tricky to do.
Online is capable in Game Maker.
the online part is just the final goal... I'd just be happy to have a running game with some or most of the ideas I have to be in the game.
post=113346
post=113342

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it will be easy.
post=113388
post=113346
post=113342
Yeah, but that doesn't mean it will be easy.
Of course not. Nothing in GM is easy, unfortunately. However, GM is capable of doing it, making it a good tool.
Well, having an engine with those capabilities does not necessarily mean it's a good tool for the job. No no, I actually like Game Maker myself too, but I'm just saying that you can make an online game by writing lines and lines of ASM machine code- doesn't mean that's a good way to do it.
Flash/Flex would probably work. Flixel makes setting up a side-scrolling platformer pretty easy. I remember Flash Player 10 had some new peer to peer stuff, but I don't remember the details on how it works. Unity would also work, it's 3D though which might be a steep requirement for creating art assets. It's a little easier to use for making games than Flash is since that is what it was built for though. Always a trade off :/
"It won't be easy" isn't a very good argument against any engine or tool because online multiplayer games in general aren't known to be easy to make.

GM's multiplayer functionality is pretty well documented and more than adequate for what teh Focks here wants to do (also GM has a large community that I imagine could offer good support), I'd say someone who isn't afraid to get their hands dirty scripting in GML should be able to pull it off.

I dunno what your coding experience is, Focksie, but I wouldn't recommend going from scratch unless you already have experience writing desktop apps/games from scratch; a game on its own can be quite overwhelming to write from the ground up, and you might find yourself in over your head before you can even worry about the online part of your game, which would entail a whole new set of challenges.

I hear Flixel is nice to work with but having no experience with it myself I don't know if it'll help you out at all with the multiplayer side of things.

Working with Unity would probably mean more work overall than starting with Flixel or GM or something. Unity rules, but seems like it'd be overkill.
I have experience writing scripts and viruses in autoit v3, and I have experience writing .cfg packs for TF2 also editing HUDs for that game as well.
post=113603
I have experience writing scripts and viruses in autoit v3

Remind me not to download your game =)
Holy Jesus, Statistic, have you played Fathom? It is so beautiful. It is the epitome of that style of simple pixel-driven game. The music, the ambiance, the ease of control, the graphics, the sounds... it's all so reminiscent of Cave Story in the absolute most perfect way. Cave Story was such a well-crafted game, largely in part due to the music and sound, and this Fathom picks up the torch amazingly. Well done, AdamAtomic.

all of the wonderfully gripping feelings I had while playing Cave Story are returning... ;_;
post=113603
I have experience writing scripts and viruses in autoit v3, and I have experience writing .cfg packs for TF2 also editing HUDs for that game as well.

I just lost all hope in you ever succeeding.
post=113678
post=113603
I just lost all hope in you ever succeeding.

I'd write something about you being an ass, but that would just bring me down to your level...
post=113572
"It won't be easy" isn't a very good argument against any engine or tool because online multiplayer games in general aren't known to be easy to make.

...Except for that maybe my argument has nothing to do with any particular engine. I just got done explaining that multiplayer networking is horrible to a newcomer, period.
Pages: first 12 next last