CUSTOM SKILL TARGETING INQUIRY

Pages: 1
This is for Rm2k3.

I'm using custom skills for some monsters that don't use any of the database skill functions beyond turning on a switch. Now what I want to know is; Is there a good way to determine which player character has been targeted? This is in relation to single target skills. That's a problem that I've been mulling over for a while now.

My current method is to run a variable from 1-6. Each number represents a character, Once a number is chosen, it then checks to see if that character is actually in the battle party, then it checks to make sure the character isn't dead. If not, then the custom skill will damage that character. If not then it will rerun the character targeted variable and then go through the process again and again until it comes to a live and in battle character to target.

...This is tedious and massively inefficient. I want to know if there is a better alternative out there for handling custom single target event code for when a monster targets the player. I know my theory will work but I want to make sure there's something better before I subject myself to doing it.

inb4usermvx
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Use a status effect. If the enemy inflicted a PC with it, damage that PC.
Thanks a bunch Craze. I got a much less headache-worthy setup working right away with the target status effect method. :D

Potential problem solved.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Raising this topic from the dead to bring up another inquiry.

I've run into one silly problem that I can't seem to pinpoint; Character's cannot target themselves with this method allegedly. I've set up a spell that targets allies and will inflict a targeted status effect on the selected character. It's works fine except when the caster target's themselves. It doesn't respond. D:

I've made sure all characters are completely vulnerable to the 'Targeting' element, and the common event that checks who has the status and assigns variables seems to be in order. But for some reason the battle event 'spell' won't activate when the caster targets themselves, I tried it with three characters and they all can target everyone but themselves.

This is what the targeting common event looks like.

And this is what the battle event spell looks like. And no it's not the variable 19. I'm using multiple targeting status effects and common events to prevent skill overlap.

Is there some workaround to this? Or have I hit a wall? Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong?
Pages: 1