HOW TOLERANT ARE YOU TO LEGITIMATELY DIFFICULT BOSSES?

LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=115780
You know, I finished both DDS 1 and 2 - but I still hate the fact that I have to restart my game everytime I encounter a new boss and realised that I didn't have the correct weakness equipped for that one fight (you have 6(?) elements to choose from, and only one is correct most of the time whoope). Especially after a long FMV.

There are seven. I don't see why you don't just put each party member on their weakness, though, like teaching Serph fire mantras.. That's all that's really necessary. And maybe Void Death/Void Expel.
post=115781
post=115780
There are seven. I don't see why you don't just put each party member on their weakness, though, like teaching Serph fire mantras.. That's all that's really necessary. And maybe Void Death/Void Expel.
Sorry, I mean not having correct mantras equipped for boss fight (i.e. not having the boss's weakness).

Cause you know, the way the game works, if hit weakness = extra turn kind of thing, and sometimes you just need to utilize that.

Of course by the time you got the almighty grid, it's just a matter of power up and spam ragnarok (DDS1). The final boss got me though (wasted a lot of time to beat it), because I thought this strategy is perfect (hahaha).
Not too tolerant... I hate to admit it, but it's true, I'm kind of a wimp in terms of game difficulty.

Now, I don't like it when a game pretends to have a strategic fight, but they just wave the answer right in your face, like "Hey idiot! See that big glowing spot on the Invincible Enemy? Attack there, dummy!"

Having legitimately difficult fights can be really fun. But I prefer the really difficult fights, the ones that require 4+ tries or a quick trip to GameFAQs, to happen only in optional parts of the game, giving you really powerful rewards in return. Having a lot of high-difficulty boss fights that require detailed, specific planning and strategizing, beyond the mere suggestion of "use the spell that takes out the most hit points," spread all over the main story just isn't fun for me.

I'll be the first to admit it, I'm not an elite Power Gamer. I'm not in the XBox Live "Pro" category, and I stopped playing with power... Nintendo power around the 100th issue or so. Soo... for example, I bought Shin Megami Tensai: DS, played for about five hours... then stopped. It's just not my cup of tea. Same story with Etrian Odyssey and most of the DQs. But more power to the more strategic or persevering gamers who can play through this stuff and knock the crap out of these games. Rest assured, I will be watching your Let's Play videos on YouTube.
I expect them. However, please refrain from self healing bosses.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Station: You can make self-healing bosses work (Diablocide), but it's lame when it's a boss like FF1's Chaos that is just like WELL OKAY YOU JUST DID NOTHING. I guess it's a half-decent gimmick, but it undermines the player. The only "strategy" it adds is USE MORE NUKES LESS TACT
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
I love my bosses where I have to stragetize and I end up with one party member left, and I'm desperately trying to to heal while getting some hits in. I've really been enjoying playing Skie's SEB for that reason.
Just recently I was playing several Final Fantasies, namely FFIX, and I was really disappointed at the lack of hard bosses. Though Gizamaluke still almost wiped the floor with me -.-. Besides him I found my bosses ended up being relatively easy despite me keeping the same sort of party for almost the entire game.
I try to make bosses in my games difficult and challenging, requiring at least a couple of fights with it before you can figure out its weakness.
I do enjoy those fights buuut I do get rather frustrated. In SEB I ended up going back and grinding for about an hour and a half before returning to the fray =/.
I hated that boss in one of the Xenosagas that, once you beat him, pulled a LOL YOU THINK THIS IS OVER HAHAHAHA and rejuvinated :( Controller met the tv screen at that point. Idk why I was even playing it in the first place.

So yeah, not very tolerant at all :(
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
Kaps's post reminded me of that one boss in Evolution Worlds- that general asshole or whatever. The guy who looked and acted like the guy from Castle in the Sky. His name escapes me. Eugene, that was it. You work your ass off fighting him in his 'normal form,' only to be confronted by him minutes later IN HIS MECH. He then proceeds to machine gun you to oblivion. It's not that he was that hard, the fights were just pointlessly tedious and if you were underleveled, could kill you pretty easily.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Also, he had a full heal he could use at will.
post=116055
Kaps's post reminded me of that one boss in Evolution Worlds- that general asshole or whatever. The guy who looked and acted like the guy from Castle in the Sky. His name escapes me. Eugene, that was it. You work your ass off fighting him in his 'normal form,' only to be confronted by him minutes later IN HIS MECH. He then proceeds to machine gun you to oblivion. It's not that he was that hard, the fights were just pointlessly tedious and if you were underleveled, could kill you pretty easily.

haha man, I remember this too! I think my GC almost took a trip out the window because of this.
Station
I expect them. However, please refrain from self healing bosses.

Omega!
/

I remember some boss (damned if I remember the game) where halfway through he'd start regenerating health to the point that I could barely damage him on tuns when I could afford to keep the guns blazing. I totally loved* that fight, wasting all that progress on a boss that pretty much turned invincible halfway through

post=114792
I wouldn't mind refighting Seymour Flux if it wasn't for that unskippable cutscene right before him

Jesus LORD, do not remind me of that crap. That was SO annoying. Sorry.

I like bosses that are challenging, but possible. If you want to, sure, ridiculously friggin hard bosses are cool, but only if you're given some time to prepare and the proper warning, etcetera. What's not cool is expecting the player to grind for every boss battle because you felt like making them seem extra cool and badass by making them killer hard.

Now, "legitimately" difficult. If you ask me, this means it is required to use strategy, and not mash the same repeated battle actions. But even this gets to a limit. There is only so much you can do with a standard battle system without over-complicating things by adding this and that, and this and that. Which is why I like games (like the Mario RPGs) that have available skills with action commands that test your timing and whatnot. It's pretty creative, and can seriously make the battle more difficult if you have a good move that's hard to do the action command for. I'm not saying the Mario RPGs are the best RPGs ever made or anything, but come one, some of those bosses were pretty hardcore.

So, "legitimate" bosses. You want legitimately difficult bosses, the first thing that comes to mind for me is implementing another system into your game. I would much rather play this kind of battle system against a "legitimately" hard boss, because I'd probably have better chances, sanity, etc.
Craze
To compliment Booseter Seat's post, make sure that you capitalize on any systems you add onto the game. If you have a toilet malfunction script, make sure that it's used - maybe make a boss that makes characters wet their pants if they don't urinate before the fear attack.

In Arian Wild, I'm mixing things up - Diablocide was good, but those bosses were built around having fourteen heroes available to die on a whim. One of the core boss/mini-boss/Elite Mook mechanics is Hate attacks. Basically, your Threat bar tells you the chance that an enemy will target that character for a basic/special/artifact attack. Each enemy also has Hate, an invisible counter that builds as a character repeatedly attacks a target (or more rapidly/slowly with certain status effects and skills). Every few turns, the enemy will unleash a Hate attack on the target that has developed the most Hate. These are ZOMG FKKKKKK U moves that make you make sure you balance support and minion/boss attack choices (note that many boss battles are going to have some sort of minion(s) present so that the prissy mageboi doesn't die immediately if you don't have a Hate-manipulating party).

Some people would say that this mechanic is far too unbalanced (Hate attacks are meant to be the equivalent of 250% normal damage, whether though status effects, damage, or whatever). My defense is that the entire game is built around Threat/Hate manipulation (Threat moreso, but still). Hate attacks were something that Karsu and I decided to include very early in Arian Wild's production, which brings me to my next point of capitalizing on systems:

To make legitimately hard bosses that don't seem ridiculous/hard to understand/whatever, you need to decide upon your systems/mechanics/etc. early on in development. As Booseter Seat said, it's more fun to fight bosses that use/require a certain type of mechanic to defeat... but in addendum, you have to make sure that this isn't a Giant Space Mechanic From Nowhere. Let's look at an infamous commercial example!

The Dark Elf's cave in Final Fantasy 4 paralyzes characters that have metal equipment. While you can use metal equipment during the boss battle itself iirc, this still applies because it's a serious power decrease for your party - but it's not a sudden, random effect. This "rule-changing" gimmick is basically metagaming, and it works because you know about it. Let's pretend that no NPCs mention the metal thing, and the characters don't talk about it. Ew.

IN SUMMARY:
THINK BEFORE YOU MAKE GAMES PLZKTHNX

(also, somebody talk about SH2's sanity points and wheel of critical hitz/shopping please)
post=116247
What's not cool is expecting the player to grind for every boss battle because you felt like making them seem extra cool and badass by making them killer hard.

Yeah, true for me too. It just takes me out of the game and it's story, because typically the characters won't even know, in the context of the story, that this killer-hard boss fight is coming up, so it doesn't make sense why they're hanging around in one place for what must be a week in game-time fighting the same stupid regenerating monsters for gold points, and for the wisdom of how to swing a sword a little better. But then I'm arguing that level grinding should somehow be realistic when it's required, hehehe...

Speaking of level grinding, that Garuda boss from FF3 DS? That guy was a huge jerk. After he lost half his hitpoints, he'd just keep lightning-ing me every round to death. I ended up killing him with a sole surviving White Mage using a Fire Bomb on him, even after I grinded to level 29. Plus, the boss came after a cutscene that was at least 2 minutes long. But when I did finally kill that bastard, I felt pretty good about it, ha ha.
Craze
Was that the boss in the mountain range on the starting island? If so, saknflsangkldfsanglksfdnjklndshlndlsfhnlkdsfnh;sdfh

btw I beat that game on my first try! As in, I did the four-hour final dungeon/penultimate bosses/final boss stuff where you can't save on my first try. I might have purchased the shiny strategy guide.
Garuda was the boss of that four screen city
Craze
Oh, right. I remember now.
Can you beat the boss in a fist fight, no spells, just fists, blades and shields? NO?! Well, IF there is no other way, lets do it...

Considering Legitimately difficult bosses, the ones that you actualy fight (not just hit-hide) and do have weakpoints, not just 9999 in everything... And please, no more then a 5 minuts battle...
Some of the best boss fights I have ever encountered have been from Legend of Legaia and the Grandia games. These bosses can really turn things around, and yet are never TOO overbearing. And often times, grinding does not make it any better!
post=119968
Some of the best boss fights I have ever encountered have been from Legend of Legaia and the Grandia games. These bosses can really turn things around, and yet are never TOO overbearing. And often times, grinding does not make it any better!

Legend of Legaia oh man, fun times.

Battle with two electric type monster in the monastery's forest (?), Battle against Songi, Battle with a mino-centaur, The swordsman on top of one city/tower thing still give me a shiver just thinking about it.

Basically there is a lot of magic grinding in that game (use it more, it gets stronger!) good idea, but there NO SKIP BUTTON (enjoy 45+ second animations per magic). Also, one time you SHOULD reset a lot just to get one of the best early magic (Kemaro) which can deal 3K damage at level 10 (pretty long guys). Honestly, without that knowledge and resetting, I don't think I would manage to beat the boss in that dungeon.

Funny thing is, the final boss ain't actually that hard but I guess that's because I did most of the sidequests by that time.

Actually you know, I think it's the long animation and grinding that makes me hate the game a bit. Other than that, it is a really rad game.