HOW TOLERANT ARE YOU TO LEGITIMATELY DIFFICULT BOSSES?

Pages: first prev 12345 last
My two cents: I think your party is going to be either really smart or really strong. What I mean by that is that you could implement a tactical solution to defeat a boss and a power grind solution to appeal to more sides of the audience.

How difficult to make your boss should rely on the means to defeat him. If you have plenty of ways to defeat him, then make him more difficult. If there's only one or two ways, then make it less so difficult or make it easier to re-engage the boss with a new tactic or more information.
I try to maintain a philosophy that games are meant to be beaten, so I would rather have an encounter that is too easy rather than one that is too hard. Even if the difficulty seems fair; if the player can't beat it and progress then they still can't beat it and progress, and that still stinks for me because that means I will have worked hard on a bunch of shit he'll never see.

With that being said I do like strategy so I focus on making the encounters different and unique so even if the player is super skilled and the game is a cake walk then at least the experience is still somewhat entertaining.

it helps that I tend to eliminate even the slightest possibility of being able to grind for levels. So they are really never able to OHKO a boss. This of course means that I often unintentionally make bosses too hard, and have to go back and nerf thier HP or attack.

From a player's standpoint I tend to give up on a game if I find it to be too difficut, even when I don't find the difficulty to be unfair or the difficulty being due to sloppy design. I just don't see the value of games that go out of thier way to be challenging, i guess I'm just a casualfag at heart.
I don't like it if a boss is too hard now if the hard boss is the finally boss that's ok as long as there is a way to get stronger or something special to do to beat it. though I tend get "mad" if I can't find the way to beat it .
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Fairly tolerant. The situational factors- like the convenience of retrying the fight if I die- make all the difference here.
I could fight such bosses all day - the only things that ruin a boss battle for me is forced level grinding (as the Elite 4 rematch in Pokemon Fire Red) or huge amounts of luck (Although I haven't seen a clear example, Ozma from Final Fantasy VII is often reffered such)
Ozma is from IX, homie.
post=126853
the only things that ruin a boss battle for me is forced level grinding , (Ozma from Final Fantasy VII is often reffered such)

Wrong. It's the total OPPOSITE. You could beat Ozma even if you were Level 1 with the right equipment and strategy. So Ozma is pretty much a "legitimately difficult boss".
post=126957
post=126853
the only things that ruin a boss battle for me is forced level grinding , (Ozma from Final Fantasy VII is often reffered such)
Wrong. It's the total OPPOSITE. You could beat Ozma even if you were Level 1 with the right equipment and strategy. So Ozma is pretty much a "legitimately difficult boss".

Hence I said I only heard of it - I didn't see it on my own, I just heard of it.

One example I've seen for a luck-based boss was in "Speak no Evil" from this site - while not really a boss, There were six enemies I could only KO with five-six hits or a low-accuracy spell, while they have a low chance to use an attack that is a one-hit kill (No revive items available at that point)
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=127044
(No revive items available at that point ever)
You're supposed to buy Physical Resistance and Defense enhancement. ;(

(also you have no way of knowing this but they only Suckerpunch when there are three or less of them remaining.)
post=127079
post=127044
(No revive items available at that point ever)
You're supposed to buy Physical Resistance and Defense enhancement. ;(

(also you have no way of knowing this but they only Suckerpunch when there are three or less of them remaining.)

Plus, there were no items available at all at this part. All I could do is attack, speed buff and do 1k damage shots with terrible accuracy. So either I get huge luck and beat them or I restart at the horde of enemies and beat all of them.
LouisCyphre
There are no items in the game. The game has no items. Stop relying on items and try using planning instead (like Physical perks and defense enhancement).
post=127089
There are no items in the game. The game has no items. Stop relying on items and try using planning instead (like Physical perks and defense enhancement).

This is why I am working on a love shrine for this game. New Xbox360 RPG?Yes?Fuck yeah?
There was one in The fourth battle network game, where right before the last boss you had to fight your evil part.The game had been recording your tournament fights, boss strategies, folders,custom sets, and the form changes.It was an A.I compiled of how you had beat the game, and then your had to fight the final boss, making you have to have a specific set to get through both. And there were NO stats other than HP. And the final boss triggered several adrenaline rushes, but I'm kind of a jumpy guy.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
The game I just released, To Arms! consists entirely of one such fight. A boss so difficult you need fifteen characters to stand a chance, was the idea. I am curious how different peoples' standards of "Legitimate" difficulty will apply to it.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=127134
The game I just released, To Arms! consists entirely of one such fight. A boss so difficult you need fifteen characters to stand a chance, was the idea. I am curious how different peoples' standards of "Legitimate" difficulty will apply to it.

You know what, damn it all.
@ChaosProductions how am I supposed to use these perks if they aren't available to me in this battle?
LouisCyphre
Go buy them from the Save Point with your AP. Then open your menu and equip them.
I like tough boss battles, to a point though. I want the bosses to keep me on my toes enough that I am worried that my party will fail, after all you can't have an adventure be so easy that it bores the player. What I really hate are boss battles that are super insanely hard and only by luck can you beat them, for example if he has a attack that devastates the entire party to near death and he always uses it two or three times in a row. The only time you beat him is when he uses it only once, it was all luck that you didn't get your ass kicked but it also meant that he could have killed you but for some reason didn't. If I've consistently lost to said boss and then finally beat him due to chance it kinda makes me feel like I didn't beat him, but rather lucked out(which of course is what happened)

Although I also think that a boss battle should be about skill and strategy rather than stats and equipment(although I do like having nice equipment cuss its shinny)
Damnit, I love em. I get a higher feeling of satisfaction. Also, it makes me feel like the shit.

The only thing that annoys is if there is a very long cutscene or anything else hindering me from quickly retrying the fight if I lose.
Pages: first prev 12345 last