WHERE DOES YOUR STUFF COME FROM?

Pages: first 12 next last
I was playing back one of the RMNCasts for background noise when I heard McDohl criticizing Anime and Video Games for being all some of these people "take in". It's an interesting point, but there is something everyone gets inspired by and it reflects in everything they make.

Where do your ideas come from? What kind of things do you watch/read/etc. for this?

Personally, I'm a big fan of Japanese style Games and Animes, except for the fact that 70-90% of my ideas I actually take from my own dreams. I don't really like reading books for the sake of reading books that often, I watch more movies and things, but I always find my dreams interesting, crazy, disturbing, and vivid. My dreams are always lifelike enough and I am able to remember them. The other 30-10% would be from the 1 out of 10 Animes that are actually interesting and enjoyable, things I've seen outside, movies, lots and lots of music, and very rarely books.
My stuff comes from a variety of sources. Usually an off-hand comment about something. "What if" is a common phrase. So naturally a lot also comes from everything Science Fiction.

When it comes to gameplay I'm mostly inspired by role playing games (of the tabletop variety) or boardgames. Occasionally another video game will inspire me, usually in the context of "what if we took this system found in this game and put it in a completely different setting?"

But it's the small things that inspire me. I see a snowflake melt on my skin and I think "what if snow was some kind of alien assimilation virus so that whenever snow melted on you, you became converted into one of the hive mind?"
I don't watch anime and haven't really played that many video games since, oh, 2003. Most of my ideas come from old NES and SNES RPGs and fantasy novels I've read like the Shannara series, Wheel of Time, Runelords, and a handful of other fantasy and sci-fi books. I also read (and wrote articles on) Swords & Circuitry, a helpful RPG design theory book. Lastly, my last source of ideas come from the many many many (many) hours playing with wooden swords and Hockey Stick Scythesâ„¢ when I was a kid.
I listen to lots of music and usually some game ideas get thrown up for whatever reason. at the moment i want to make a game about rich stockbrokers resorting to cannibalism on an exotic caribbean resort so i can use 'bossa cubana' by los zafiros http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv2p7VQKgrw

I don't like tv or watch too many movies, I like reading a lot but a lot of the ideas there are hard to translate to games (although my plan for 2010 is to finally get around to making the Myra Breckinridge Dating Simulator). also there's a lot of holdovers from stuff i liked as a kid like corny stopmotion shows and bizarre childrens tv.
Well, I don't watch anime or stuff like that at all. When I get inspired it is usually from reading novels (right now, mostly philip k. dick) and pen & paper roleplaying. Games can very easily give me ideas or inspire me but never enough for a larger effort. just that intiating spark.
My biggest inspirations are a mix of various anime and manga and a plethora of commercial games; usually RPGs and Fighting games.

With anime, it's the stories that inspire me. It's particularly the epic feelings of some parts in the stories that I mostly want to accomplish myself. With games it's mostly the system mechanics. I draw from both sources and mold them into something I can use myself.

Clearly my style doesn't appeal to everyone as the past has dictated, but I enjoy what I do anyway, so whatever.
I watch a lot of movies, play a lot of fighting games (Street Fighter and King of Fighters mainly), RPGs of course (Japanese ones and stuff like Fallout) read a lot on history (especially military history) and of course, real life.
I get attacked by dragons a lot, too.
Haha, what I mean was, I find that real life and the people in it and all of the relationships and interactions people often find themselves in often provides better fuel for things such as character interaction, character development, and personalities better than fictional media.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Current affairs, stuff I made up while playing with action figures when I was 8, some RPGs but mostly strategy-RPGs, some anime (Legend of the Galactic Heroes is inspiring me to do some amazing things), the music I listen to, and my day-to-day life and views on things.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I asked Karsu if his story ideas came from boobies and he said that they did not come from boobies.
If karsu's ideas came from boobies where would yours come from then :o
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
If I ever make anything, most likely it'll be inspired a lot by my neverending love for anime.
A few good movies and books also give me things to think about, but not as much as anime.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
My ideas all come from THE VOID. I'm inspired by music and many of the video games I play, but when I'm actually coming up with stuff, it's completely out of the blue. Some of my most random ideas have been my best ones, and I don't know where they come from. It usually happens like "You know what'd be really interesting? {Brilliant idea here}!" It's weird, too, because I'm a very logical person. Logic and randomness don't usually go hand in hand.
Actually it's logical. A random idea is a result of some form of mutation, and then you apply selection to use the ideas that work and improve them. This is a process that is similar to Biological Evolution or a general form of the emergent algorithm that enables you to come up with new things from seemingly nothing. It's like brute force engineering.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
When it comes to stories, mine are always highly character-based. I base aspects of them off of situations I have seen in my real life or something similar.
I've been heavily influenced by jRPG's, other video games in general, and some anime as well.

My current brain child is most heavily influenced by jRPG's in terms of setting and some story content, but I'm trying to take a much more conservative approach (perhaps something you'd more likely see in American cinema?) by making characterization much more subtle, and meaningful. I guess you could say, Japanese ideas driven by American characters. I think it works better that way, I hope my peers can relate much more closely with the characters by doing so.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=116823
I've been heavily influenced by jRPG's, other video games in general, and some anime as well.

My current brain child is most heavily influenced by jRPG's in terms of setting and some story content, but I'm trying to take a much more conservative approach (perhaps something you'd more likely see in American cinema?) by making characterization much more subtle, and meaningful. I guess you could say, Japanese ideas driven by American characters. I think it works better that way, I hope my peers can relate much more closely with the characters by doing so.

I'm a fan of this. As much as I enjoy some wRPGs, I think that jRPGs (well, the ones that I bother to play) on the whole are more entertaining... but wRPGs have less, well, jRPG-like characters. =P

My inspiration comes from D&D 4e, mostly. Karsu and I reference it fairly often, and I followed a lot of its ideas in Diablocide. Arian Wild is even more like it, with what are effectively paragon paths, minor actions, and daily powers/daily magic items.
post=116665
If karsu's ideas came from boobies where would yours come from then :o

D:D:D:

wanted to mention about earlier; inspiration from pen & paper games usually involve rules and systems that I find interesting. I did implement some primitve ideas from this (and classic boardgames, here in sweden at least, like talisman) in dungeon quest and I intend to work hard on it for interesting game mechanics when I've started developing more for arbiter (which is kind of p&p based really)
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Most of my games are inspired by other games, and sometimes movies, anime, TV shows, books, etc.

Sometimes I also get inspired from events that happen in life, those are one of the best to get inspired from in my opinion.
Pages: first 12 next last