HOW TO GET RPG MAKER 2003 DO THINGS OTHER THAN RPGS.

Pages: first prev 123 last
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
KingArthur you seem to have some a lot of foolish anger towards me.

My anger for you is justified by the very example this topic has shown multiplied by the number of topics you've derailed.

And if you call me sending you a message that said "No" is harrassment then I need a dictionary.

While I personally don't view your PMs as harrassment so much as failed attempts at sounding smart, there's plenty of reports that people dislike your usage of the PM system.

I have never said anything bad to you.....you have just found it comfortable to jump on the "Hate AFrenchDreamer" Bandwagon.

Your continuing ignorance to the fact many people find you annoying, that you keep stressing your shit is awesome without proper facts to back it up, and the fact you've managed to derail every topic you've posted in without fail fuels my annoyance for you. There being a "Hate AFD Bandwagon" and my thoughts coinciding with it is mere coincidence.

Thats just insecurity in yourself. It is you Kingarthur that is harrassing me.

You have no right to pull the "I'm the victim!" card.

You just replied to my peaceful message with a hateful rant that doesn't help the situation at all. It just makes you seem like the little child you are. You need to mature. That childish message was uneccessary.

My post was neither a hateful rant nor a childish message, I have simply picked apart your statement with the argument that what you continue to argue is clearly contradicting with what you are doing. Is everything the opposite of the globally understood definition where you live, or are you really just that dense?

WIP but that just adds to the problem. Kingarthurs obviously a troll.

So wait, me picking apart your statements with logic and facts is detrimental to you? Who would've guessed!

I just explained my honest intentions but he still foolishly persists to come at me.

Refer to my third paragraph in this post.

He knows I don't care about anything he says and hes mad at that.

You obviously don't know how to communicate with people if you think saying whatever you want and ignoring everything that has a negative impact on you is going to garner you support.

So he comes at me every chance he gets. I've never even said anything to him.....he just decided to jump on the bandwagon because he's probably a weak minded person.

The fact that you've repeatedly tried to escape your way out of a discussion that is heading towards your loss says something about your lack of honor, determination, and iron will. I suggest you look at yourself before you judge other people.

Watch and you'll see that i'm right. He'll be back again trying to troll me. Watch and see.

Hai.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
afd what are you talking about WIP is a comedic genius
just fuuuuuck ooooffff
Why do people bother trying to make an ABS in RPG Maker 2003 anyway? I've written Server/Client network applications that were much easier than a good RPG Maker 2003 ABS. Hell, that seven digit score display I wrote last summer was a bit of work compared to my point-of-action cube system I just got up and running in my latest engine (it's a cube aligned to a fixed grid that makes people solid and lets you examine/talk to events). I knew how to do it but it was sooooooo teeeeeeddddiiiiioooouuuuusssssss...

And you have to realize there's a limit to how good an ABS you can really make in RPG Maker 2003, sure there's ABSs on the NES that use only 8 sprites a scanline (compared to 50 total in RPGMaker2003) and the scripting language is close enough to Turing Completeness (but so is Brainfuck) to process something fun, but planning and doing it takes an insane amount of work- do you really want to spend a year or two to make a mediocre action game when you can learn Game Maker (or something else, anything else, it's actually kind of fun in RGSS) and actually make something to be proud of? Or at least write an equivalent ABS in half a month or so.

I mean, if you're so interested in taking programming in your own hands you might as well learn new things and gain skills.

I mean, there's being an amazing and resourceful programmer who "breaks through walls" and then there's just self-torture. It's easily arguable that the scripting language inside RPG Maker could suffice as another Turing Tarpit for video games- you'd do it because you like hurting yourself.

Hey I love that quote, how fitting "Beware of the Turing tar-pit in which everything is possible but nothing of interest is easy."

Alright everybody back on topic......I sense the troll spirit coming with a quickness.
But now at least you guys know my intentions.

You sure post a lot for someone who doesn't like being criticized both constructively and destructively, flamed, berated, or whatever you want to call it.
Rockin post Wolf! Throwing in my similar 2 cents:

post=117044
And you have to realize there's a limit to how good an ABS you can really make in RPG Maker 2003, sure there's ABSs on the NES that use only 8 sprites a scanline (compared to 50 total in RPGMaker2003)
Great point, on another note though it's funny that Crystalis has more fluid real time combat than any ABS 2k3 game I've personally tried :P

I mean, if you're so interested in taking programming in your own hands you might as well learn new things and gain skills.
Totally agreed, coding certainly isn't for everyone, but if you have a knack for it, it can literally be one of the most satisfying pursuits on EARTH. Even if you don't have the time/interest/mindset to learn to write programs "from scratch" in a compiled language, expanding your knowledge enough to work with scripting systems such as GML will open a ton of doors for you and learning more about programming and game logic will likely improve the quality of any games you make regardless of what tools you use.

I mean, there's being an amazing and resourceful programmer who "breaks through walls" and then there's just self-torture.
Years ago (like 1997-ish) there was an active community of coders who made games (mainly RPGs, coincidentally) and such in QB, a DOS implementation of BASIC made by our beloved Microsoft. It was slow, extremely limited, and some versions were broken in several ways, but we took pride in accomplishing what we did under such tight restrictions and many were afraid to venture beyond it because it was just so damn easy to learn. It was a great stepping stone to kindle my interest in programming and game development but ultimately I would have been better off if I'd given it up sooner and moved on to more viable languages and technologies! The point: Wolf is right, if your game ideas exceed what can be comfortably made with whatever flavor of RM, it might be time to move beyond it.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Totally agreed, coding certainly isn't for everyone, but if you have a knack for it, it can literally be one of the most satisfying pursuits on EARTH.

I have to state my agreement here as well. There's something mystifying about coding something up, running it, and seeing it come to life before your eyes.

Of course, there's bugs a plenty to kill in the process, but debugging is great fun in its own right.
Looking at the first few posts in the thread, I have a standard response to make:

As the maker of Aurora Wing I encourage anyone considering a project of similar complexity to use something with better scripting capability.
post=117093
Looking at the first few posts in the thread, I have a standard response to make:

As the maker of Aurora Wing I encourage anyone considering a project of similar complexity to use something with better scripting capability.

Thank you, DFalcon, for your honest and knowledgeable opinion. It's good to hear that, based on the concerns addressed in the op, you have used your own experience to offer an informed suggestion.

In short, it is by far more reasonable to suggest that an ABS can be created much more easily (and competently) in a scripting-capable engine. This information is much more useful than suggesting someone can replicate the Mona Lisa pixel-by-pixel in MS Paint, merely because, "I did it, so you can too."
post=109824
Hey guys, late to the party, but I just wanted to share: I built this awesome trampoline.

All I've done is taken my car, ripped off the top, pulled out some of the seats, removed the wheels, drilled holes for some hooks, and added a kind of stretchy tarp thing to hold it all together with.

Oh, and my car was never actually registered or licensed, but I don't think that's really important.

Sure, I could have just bought a decent trampoline, but this shit is so much more fucking awesome anyway. AM I RITE?!
post=109826
I like the old school flavor of your carampoline. Good work! It's good for a carampoline!
Pages: first prev 123 last