WOULD REAL LIFE MUSIC BE DISTRACTING

Pages: first 12 next last
I'm just wondering because while I work on my current game, I listen to music. And a lot of the time, I think to myself that that current song would be great for the scene.

By real life music, I mean like music you'd commonly listen to, Beatles, Daft Punk and Styx. Stuff like that, in a game that doesn't take itself seriously to begin with, would it still be distracting to be hearing this?
IMO, no. Unless a game has a solid soundtrack I haven't heard a thousand times before, then I've usually got it turned off with Winamp going anyway. "Real Life" music can be an excellent compliment to a game :D

\/ \/ \/ I think what we can take from these two replies is "make it turn-offable to be safe" XD
it really depends on the songs...if its balamory over and over again then my lord...
but if you choose a great soundtrack then yes, it would work :) there can't really be a solid answer. obviously it'll be a bigger risk because you'll get players who won't like some bands.

when i read the title i thought you meant if songs played in scenes of our lives - would that be distracting hahah. for the record that would be brilliant
I think what we can take from these two replies is "make it turn-offable to be safe" XD

Or just don't use rip songs.
What is "real life music," exactly? If you mean, like, mainstream radio, then yes, it may be jarring. But if you're referring to the endless plethora of songs that aren't GENERIC VIDEO GAME BACKGROUND SONGS, then it couldn't hurt, honestly. In fact, I recommend doing this, if it effectively adds to the game's sense of ambience. People should learn to be a bit more creative with their soundtrack choices!
post=117130
Or just don't use rip songs.

Oh man how come nobody has thought of this before
Depends on the game.

Any RPG, at all, whatsoever? Yeah, I'd probably be distracted, and mute it if I could still find the game playable.

Any commercial game you see out there today that uses licensed music you'd hear on the radio, then no (racing games, what have you).
Midi versions are rad however.
Heeheehee!

That just sounds really funny when you say 'rad' with the kid wearing 3D glasses holding a squirt gun from Zombies Ate My Neighbors.
post=117135
Depends on the game.

Any RPG, at all, whatsoever? Yeah, I'd probably be distracted, and mute it if I could still find the game playable.

Any commercial game you see out there today that uses licensed music you'd hear on the radio, then no (racing games, what have you).

Well the game itself isn't very serious, under just about everything there's a bit of sarcastic humor, mostly about RPG cliches and stuff.

And since most of you like this idea, what some bands you'd like to hear? If some of you told me what kind of bands you like, I'll try to find it and add it to the game.

Current List of Bands:

Beatles
Daft Punk
3 Inches Of Blood
Metallica
Led Zepplin
Motley Crue
AC/DC

Edit: Also, the music will have to sort have relevance as to what's going on in game. For instance, say your fighting a lightning based boss, Thunderstruck by AC/DC would play.
post=117142
Edit: Also, the music will have to sort have relevance as to what's going on in game. For instance, say your fighting a lightning based boss, Thunderstruck by AC/DC would play.

Your game is now completely awesome.
post=117145
post=117142
Your game is now completely awesome.

Thanks, exactly what I want people to feel when they play it!
post=117142
post=117135
For instance, say your fighting a lightning based boss, Thunderstruck by AC/DC would play.

Relevance? Yeah, right! How dare you stereotype those poor lightning bosses!!
Not gonna lie, it's pretty weird if I hear it willy nilly, and if its out of place and 'there just to be there', then it just gets awkward. I'm not saying it can't be done right, but you HAVE to do it right or else, its gonna be bad.
post=117125
"Real Life" music can be an excellent compliment to a game :D

COMPLEMENT

yeah don't do this
It depends on the game, I guess. I played some games that used a few "real life" tracks, but those songs really decent and most importantly they fit the scenario, so I didn't mind.

It could work.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
I swear to god if I ever played a game and the intro started with "crawling in my skin" I'd punch my monitor and rip out my soundcard.
If the music really does fit the scene, it'll be good no matter what song it is. But it REALLY has to be a damn good fit. And then you also have to consider whether or not people will like the song, too. If it's one of your guilty pleasures.... might not want to.

But yeah, I'd say go for it if you think it'd be a really good idea. Have a backup song just in case though.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
In all likelyhood you probably don't have the skills yet to choose the correct music for the correct scenes so I would just leave it alone unless you know really know what you're doing.
Pages: first 12 next last