AN RMER QUESTIONS HIS "PROGRAMMING" IDENTITY

Pages: 1
Hello! I am a long time rm2k3 user and I'm looking at switching to VX (Maybe XP, but probably not)
I'm one of those folks whose knows that program up and down. I can make mini games and menus and all kinds of stuff, but I don't have much of an eye for sexy design, so must of what I make is pretty generic looking.
I haven't used VX yet, but I wanted to see what other people's experiences are.
I am considering this switch over for the obvious reasons that VX is capable of doing more, and doing it sexier.
I am considering against this change over for many reasons (Including petty one's like pride and loyalty). I was curious to see some of the input other members have, being that I'm sure many of you had similar reservations.

1. Graphics. Map limitations being the biggest one. Why in the hell did they decide that five chipsets was the limit? Bah! I'm a big fan of using panoramas for maps (basically building maps then making a bitmap representation of it) Does anyone have any experience with Panorama maps in RMVX? Or prehaps any input on getting around map limitations? I genuinely enjoy the rm2k3 graphics. I haven't even tried this yet, but I was wondering if anyone has played with 2003 maps in VX. I know the screen resolution is larger in VX, so everything will be tiny, but maybe you could increase the picture size without being too blocky looking?

2. Battle system. I kinda like the DBS in rm2k3, and there's a good amount of room for workarounds, but it's limitations are obvious. I need a sideview ATB system. Sure, you can add scripts to the game to make it do, but I'm worried that even with technical prowess, the system will be very plain looking. I'm very open to learning Ruby, but the battle system seems somewhat overwhelming. Is there a lot of room for "workarounds" within these custom scripts? What is the middle ground between DBS and pure Ruby system? What do you guys think of the battle systems out there?

I'm downloading the trial version now, and may pay for it with my delicious tax refund. (Yes, delicious is the adjective I went with) Haven't played many VX games either, so I'm gonna continue doing research.
Well, I didn't put my VX trial to good use(ah, back in the days when VX was shiny and new), so I'm going to have to steal other people's opinions for this post.

The tileset thing has heaps of workarounds, and it a nonissue if you like panorama maps. I have no experience with panorama maps but I've heard it said that they work well in VX.

As for 2k3 in VX, you can put the sprites in at double the size and then use a script to make the window half the size. To my knowledge this is fairly easy.

I can't tell you much(anything) about VX's battle system other than I don't like the fact you can't see the battlers(having said that if I was using VX instead of XP my main characters could have original sprites instead of recolours.)
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
This thread is going to explode any second now. Though in your case it's worth noting VX has a fairly popular and functional side view battle system script.
My two cents about using the battle scripts available.

Soli's right, Tankentai is a very popular side-view battle script, and there is also an ATB script that you can get to work with it. Now, the functionality is in there, and these scripts are very solid. All of this stuff exists beyond what you see when you get into a battle, which is where the real concern is (the "look and feel"). No matter what script you use, the "look and feel" will probably always seem plain to you, because, like Soli said, they're so popular and no one wants to bother with it. If you decide to go this route, familiarize yourself with RGSS, then go straight into learning how image display and updating works, as well as how the battle flows in terms of function calls.

That is, the system will take care of itself, just get it looking as unique as you'd like it. There's a lot of customization built-in to these scripts, but you may feel the need to work more with UI design, window management, and battler placement/animation.

Then when you feel better about how it looks, talk to Craze and get some tips on how to make the engine WORK how you want it to =)
I can't seem to find any scripts that use Agility for ATB.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
The limit of 5 chipset files isn't as limiting as you may think it is on first glance. In total, it's somewhere equal to 6 or 7 RM2K(3)-sized chipsets; maybe more if you allocate chips efficiently and relegate some smaller chips to charasets. Even then, though, it's still limiting.

Many workarounds for the problem exist, but almost all of them are clunky and annoying to use in one way or another.

For battle systems, you have a few choices. Two prominent names come to mind however with sideview battle systems: RPG Tankentai and Reedo's Simple SBS. Both are strong, very well coded and very customizable SBS scripts and you can't go wrong with using either of them if you put a little thought into their use. Be prepared, however, to dabble a bit in Ruby coding if you plan on using an SBS script (or any equally complex script) of any kind.
post=117969
The limit of 5 chipset files isn't as limiting as you may think it is on first glance. In total, it's somewhere equal to 6 or 7 RM2K(3)-sized chipsets; maybe more if you allocate chips efficiently and relegate some smaller chips to charasets. Even then, though, it's still limiting.

Perhaps not... This is worth pursuing...

I'm totally comfortable learning this R'sandG'sandS's thing. Looking over it, it seems to make sence. (I have a small degree of experience with other programming and scripting systems) I'm just worried about the default systems fighting with the complex ones and sabotaging something irreparably.

Since posting this thread, I've been dabbling with the Tankentai system. (still haven't managed to get any ATB action going) but it still seems like it's missing too much.
Like in the battle event commands window, for instance. Where are the complex battle comands? Like multiple magic commands (A divison of white and black) or special A,B,C Percent based elemental sensitivity.

It seems like they've removed a lot of functionality unnecessarily to seemingly force you to learn the RRGGSS.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Tankentai is primarily meant to display and manipulate player (and in some cases the enemy) battler graphics, with mild customizations in the actual flow of battle like the ATB add-on. What you're looking for (multiple magic commands and the like) can probably be found in other, more suited battle-altering scripts.

If all else fails though, yes, you'd probably have to code it in yourself via Ruby and RGSS.
Pages: 1