FREE RPG ENGINES?

Pages: first 12 next last
I wanted to know if there were any such things as a "Free RPG Maker Engine"??
I would pay for one to make my game but I need to use all the money I have for college...
But hey, if there isn't a free engine thanks anyways and be looking forward to playing yall's games!!
I don't know of any free engines that are geared towards RPG's specifically...I know Sphere and ika are geared pretty well for it, but are not specific to RPG's. Check the engines section above for more information.
Wasn't there RPG Toolkit? It kind of sucked but I remember it being free.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
http://www.toolkitzone.com/index.php

It's still going strong from the looks of things.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=118344
Dungeon Craft
http://uaf.sourceforge.net/

I am glad this finally has combat.
woah a remake/upgrade of the FRUA engine??? HECK YES I'M IN! Thanks for the linkage Station
RM2k was never officially released, as was RM95, so these can be considered freeware, for those whom find the downloads. As all rpg makers, these are staples and the first.
KingArthur
Incorrect. RPG Maker 95, 2000, and 2003 are all commercial software that you have to buy to use legally. They're like anime fansubs: No one really cares that much about them being available for free, but what you are doing is illegal and if legal technicalities come into the picture you're undoubtedly on the losing end.
Oh really? I was under the impression that ASCII was at a state of bankruptcy, but maybe that is just me.

Last second edit: Oh, so when enterbrain got involved, they took the entire franchise with them. But something still reeks about RM2k. It was only a ASCII property in 2001, so what happened? Did it trade hands or something?
Enterbrain still distributes Rm2000 in Japan, under the "RPG maker Value Plus!" label. It's now owned by them. They don't distribute Rm2003 anymore though.

This is going by their site anyway. They offer a purchase of RM2000.

And yes, you can get RPG maker 2000 for free (you can get VX for free too somewhere no doubt) but it is pirated software. Just be aware of that.

I payed 60 bucks for my VX and I'm happy with it.
Okay. Back in the early 2k, the first version I was acquainted to was the engrish of Rm2k, Don Meguil's version. Apparently, it was a Russian engrish translation that was pirated. Had no idea back then, and now I am using my VX software happily, legal mind you. Scratch what I said about those being legal. However, at the time Dark Gaia, I had no way of reading japanese, nor was ASCII willing to translate their ownership copyrights at that time. Come to think of it, the first real legal version of rpg maker for the pc must have been XP. Oh well, times have changed.
Yes, well I also started RMing with 2k and I had Don Miguel's version as well. But just throwing it out there that since the program is still commericially available, it is indeed illegal.
don't let the illegality put you off, however! it's also virtually unprosecutable
Well at least Don's version was released in a time where their were no real marketing in the english speaking community. On the other hand, stuff like Postality Knights XP ver. was clearly an unwarranted outing made against the commercially released version. Well, nice to know you and I share the same roots at least.
Yeah, it's kind of like Mp3s. Nobody cares really if you download and use them. Besides RM2000 is great for begginers to learn the event commands of RPG maker.
post=119765
Yeah, it's kind of like Mp3s. Nobody cares really if you download and use them.

Interesting you brought them up. The Mp3 filetype by law used to be illegal to use in freeware applications, commercial applications had to acquire a license to use it. This is why RM2K never utilized the .mp3 filetype, it would have been unconstitutional.

Today the law still stands, but most companies now have the license (think rmxp/vx has .mp3 support), and for freeware applications? The courts let it drop. :)
KingArthur
On the other hand, stuff like Postality Knights XP ver. was clearly an unwarranted outing made against the commercially released version.

As far as I remember, Postalitiy Knights' translation of RMXP was released before EB came out with official word on an english version of RMXP. It's been a while though, so I might be wrong.

Yeah, it's kind of like Mp3s. Nobody cares really if you download and use them.

Say that again after you take a look at the amount of unjustified bullshit the RIAA, MPAA, and similar money-hoarding organizations are giving to BT trackers and the like (read: search engines).

RM2K(3) isn't being brought up in court (worst I've heard is something along the lines of a C&D letter, I think?) because the entire issue is negligible as far as ASCII/Enterbrain care and because it gave them free publicity with the RPG Maker series of programs in the end.

it would have been unconstitutional.

Sorry to be picky, but the word you're looking for is "unlawful" or "illegal"; patents have nothing to do with any country's constitution.

Postality Knights ver was released about one month after Enterbrain announced their translation, thus was technically an obvious breach of the law. Then again, Enterbrain's translation was released a year after the announcement, so postality was the only one up. I remember how the scripts were split, as some would only work on the enterbrain release and others on the postality version.
Pages: first 12 next last