IN REGARDS TO THE SCREENSHOTS TOPICS

Pages: first 123456 next last
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Yeah... Seems the latest one got closed on short notice due to the actions of a few dolts...

Anyway, I'm concerned. The last post of the latest screen shot thread was WIP stating "Consider this the last", and well... I'm going to be honest in saying that I don't think that is justified.

The screen shots topic is, in my opinion, one of the best ways for game makers to get immediate critique on their work. Even though some of us, including myself, just make games for fun with no intention on making it a profession, we are still making these for people, otherwise what would be the point of submitting them to the site? Critique is important in that aspect

I believe what happened in some of the past few screen threads was more of a case of "one rotten apple spoiling the whole batch." It's really unfair for those who are using those threads properly to suffer from those who don't (names I won't mention because you know who you are...). Another aspect to take into account is that this is the internet. There are always going to be half-asses who try to ruin threads, but I still don't think that's a reason to flip and get rid of the thread entirely.

So what I'm asking is to reconsider getting rid of screenshot threads, because I don't think the majority of the members here deserve what just happened.
i literally have nowhere to post what i do
Maybe if there was a legitimate replacement for the function that the screenshot thread provides it wouldn't be as big an issue. Maybe something like the Blogs tab at the top but for newly posted images?

EDIT:
And geodude brings up another point - what about people who don't have gameprofiles yet? Where do they post images/videos?
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
1) I had enough of people abusing the topic.
2) The topic was already skirting the RMN rules as people are not supposed to post their game stuff on the forum.
3) There will be a far superior system implemented in the near future. One that actually integrates with the site and isn't some arbitrary forum topic.
4) Nevermind that I find the screenshot topic to be a relic of over-reliance on forums.
5) We have discussed for a long time, the removal of the screenshot topic. I was letting it slide until the new system was in place, but decided I'd rather there be less drama earlier at the sake of not having a replacement.

kentona, they don't.
post=118373

This is probably a good time for you to make a gamepage.
Maybe if the screenshot topics actually had screenshots in them instead of just full pages of debating or talking about one screenshot. Why should people have to deal with that if they just want "immediate critique"?

Ness seems to be doing a good job on keeping all her screenshots/graphics in her blog. It also means people are more likely going to actually comment on her stuff directly. Not saying the blogs are the best alternatives, but they're certainly better and do generate interesting blog posts. The only downside really is that you have to have a gamepage.

I'd like something better than the screenshop topics, not them coming back.

edit: oh damn 3 posts late
post=118379
post=118373
This is probably a good time for you to make a gamepage.
welcome to my rancor trap. since i don't have a game yet this is difficult

i guess no one will know what happens to the railway from hell...........
guys we already have a screenshot system on rmn just refresh the page until you see what you like and post a comment (ps subscribe so you can see replies)
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=118407
guys we already have a screenshot system on rmnjust refresh the page until you see what you like and post a comment (ps subscribe so you can see replies)

This is what I do.
still can't post anything ::)

better idea: instead of accomodating for a shitty member by removing a valuable source of critique for those of us who can't post gamepages just ban the source of the multiple thread deaths

give me any reason why you cannot or should not do this

welcome to the end of my tether
Just post your screenshots in IRC.
yeah it is actually really efficient to post it every five minutes because people are joining / it falls off the page ::)
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
post=118422
still can't post anything ::)

better idea: instead of accomodating for a shitty member by removing a valuable source of critique for those of us who can't post gamepages just ban the source of the multiple thread deaths

give me any reason why you cannot or should not do this

welcome to the end of my tether
Exactly what I said in IRC last night. It was pretty much ignored though.

Also, again: Why are we accomodating for the lowest denominator and letting people with an honest reason to use the screenshot topic suffer? There's a thousand better ways to have handled that debacle yesterday.
post=118428
yeah it is actually really efficient to post it every five minutes because people are joining / it falls off the page ::)

How is this different from the regular screenshot threads? :D

(at least what little I've seen of them. I haven't ever really read screenshot threads until after the fact when people have said that there was heavy drama going on in them)
post=118427
Just post your screenshots in IRC.

IRC as great as it is, it's really situational for certain people at certain times. If you're rarely at the computer or at work/not home/school/etc and you come back or w/e, you're rightly fucked. It's great for real time responses and convo but it's not great at all compared to the site/forums where you can come back and comments/thoughts are posted for posterity for everyone to participate in.

i know this wasn't actually a seriously considered option but still
thanks that was what i was trying to explain :)
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
post=118429
Exactly what I said in IRC last night. It was pretty much ignored though.

Also, again: Why are we accomodating for the lowest denominator and letting people with an honest reason to use the screenshot topic suffer? There's a thousand better ways to have handled that debacle yesterday.
This is less in response to what happened yesterday than you might think. Imagine a car teetering on the edge of a cliff and then a small rock hits it, causing the car to topple over.

I had decided a while ago to remove screenshot topics. Members' actions of late made me act for a quicker death.
so you punish the majority rather than the minority. good work i am giving you a round of applause

honestly i am seriously calling you out on this because it is a microcosm of a series of illogical decisions
WIP
You obviously have a reading problem, geodude. You should focus a bit more on understanding words than posting uncapitalized witty remarks.

You can seriously call me out all you want. The decision to remove the screenshot topic was done many months ago so I could replace it with something else. Of course, you must not have read the post I made above explaining part of my decision to do that, but must have missed it somewhere.
Pages: first 123456 next last