IN REGARDS TO THE SCREENSHOTS TOPICS

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=118482
IT'S ALL COMING OUT NOW (sorry craze this is insensitive ;D)

Whenever I get PMs I dislike I tell WIP instead of hiding it under a rock, so really it came out when I dealt with stuff properly.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
I announced this in the OP of the topic in question.

I concede on this point, then. It still stands to reason however that an official announcement of some fashion would've suited it better than a single paragraph in a post that people may or may not read with much interest.

I won't have him tarred, feathered, and sacrificed to the RMN Gods to appease your anger because you'd all rather point the blame at someone else than have to consider the fact that you yourselves might be at fault here as well.

Personally, I'm more than happy to face the music if I'm guilty of the same things AFD has done if that's what it takes to get AFD's face out of this place. Justice doesn't favor one person over another, after all. All it cares about is the law (the ToS in RMN's case) and its interpreters.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Sol pointed this out, but I would like to reiterate.

This is posted in the OP of the last screenshot topic:

Please note, in the near future WIP has plans to implement a new feature for screenshots linked directly into the site itself. When that happens, there will no longer be any need for a screenshot topic. Until then, you have this one.

KA, it was going to be announced like the majority of RMN stuff: either right before I post it live, or afterwards. With this kind of feature, there wasn't any reason to give people heads up to change things as it will be automatic.
looks like there was a reason to give us a heads up (this topic)
post=118489
Personally, I'm more than happy to face the music if I'm guilty of the same things AFD has done if that's what it takes to get AFD's face out of this place. Justice doesn't favor one person over another, after all. All it cares about is the law (the ToS in RMN's case) and its interpreters.

unfortunately this would probably result in a round of bans for the top hat brigade
Anything but that

I do agree with the closing of the screenshot topic, and I'm sure that the "screenshot repository" or whatever will be much better. I have full confidence in WIP.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
post=118491
looks like there was a reason to give us a heads up (this topic)

Incessant whining about me RUINING YOUR RM WAY OF LIFE is easily ignored, so don't worry about that part.
this four page incessant whining is your community. we're not going away!
post=118494
I do agree with the closing of the screenshot topic, and I'm sure that the "screenshot repository" or whatever will be much better. I have full confidence in WIP.

Basically this. I have continuously trusted WIP's direction of the site and the way it has been going has had good results.

Screenshot topics, not just this last one have a tendency to devolve into one of three things, at least in my experience, and I've been around for a bit =P
1. People posting their screenshots and not commenting on others
2. People posting one-liner comments that aren't truly constructive, just "looks cool" or "needs work"
3. Dumb arguments that do not involve posting screenshots

I honestly can't recall a screenshot topic that was truly constructive. I am not saying everyone is at fault and there are the members who do give good feedback. I always felt frustrated when receiving comments that are just "looks cool," without any real feedback. (Which would be: "I like the way you did this part, but this part could use some work," and then going into a detailed explanation about how they could improve.)
The real issue with screenshot topics is that people do not post their screenshots to receive feedback, but rather to show off something they have made, and the screenshot topic (and the whole game design forums) should be to IMPROVE your game, not really "lol look my game is so cool." This is the issue with AFD's posts within the topic--he merely was showing off, instead of accepting the criticisms he were given. There are other places you can show off (like on your gamepage--that's what it's for.)

Another horrible thing is when someone does give constructive criticism and someone gets oversensitive and blows up over the matter.
SIDENOTE: it's gameprofile people. Gamepages are any of the custom tabs you create.
I really wish that forum could just be for improving your game. That would be magnificent, sort of like people that are just visiting the site can look at the finished, ready stuff on the gameprofiles, and wont have to worry about seeing the "workshop" if you can call it that.
post=118501
I hate to contribute to the bickering, and I don't agree with everything Geodude said, but this is very true.

As with everything else, I really hope that if you're going to pull this out from under our feet that you have something pretty substantial to replace it with. Despite whatever has recently happened, there's no denying that the screenshot topic(s) have always been a pretty invaluable resource to many developers, and they're going to resent that loss. The game-pages were quite a success, so I don't doubt your ability to, but!

Also, c'mon, are people really even attempting to advocate AFD's quality as a member? Hahahaha.
Look on the bright side, AFD only posts in the screenshot topic. Where else is he going to display his youtube-ego-dick? RRR?
Be quiet, work on your games.

This would be a viable topic if WIP locked game pages instead of some ss thread, though!
I mean gameprofiles.
AFrenchDreamer
plz send msg for internet grl shmoozing tipz
Alright well it looks like this thread has turned to a try to get AFD banned topic......which I expected and knew was going to happen.

First, the only reason I PM somebody is when I get bashed first and I disapprove of it.

I PM so I don't have to post on the original topic, because whenever I post my thoughts they are usually bashed. I PM so nobody will try to start a arugument with me over the internet.

Alright now let me address these people saying i'm harrassing them.

That is complete falsehood, I never start any arguments.......everybody knows I just defend myself.

Which I will stop doing because it makes me look just as low as the person who started the argument.

You people are trying to hide the fact that I am harrassed almost everytime I post a message.

I can post up many examples......look at the "Get these words off my avatar" topic......read all the random trolling on that page.

Even when I left that topic people were still trolling....I had even said I accepted the words under my avatar.

There are many more examples that can be shown.

Even Karsuman has seen the trolling I receive.

I have stated my purpose here and it's peaceful.....I want no arguments with anyone....I just want to make my games.

I don't see why you people continually try to get me banned and keep on arguing about me.

That is the problem.....

Just leave me alone and the problem will be stopped......

Stop trying to insult me everytime I post a message.

You guys have even went after me over my TYPING.......thats pretty low.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just leave this alone.....I have done nothing wrong here and you guys know it.

When I first came to this site I must admit that I was bad.....but then I APOLOGIZED and stopped my arrogant ways.

But that still didn't stop people from trolling me and constantly trying to argue with me.

Lets just all grow up and stop this foolishness.....I am over it, I don't see why you members aren't.

EDIT: Lets just have fun on RMN....like its meant for it to be!

Like WIP said.....just kill it.
post=118486
B/c it's rare to hear from the other side of the table, I'll just say I'm all for removing the screenshot topic and seeing what transpires. WIP probably knows what he's doing.

Blogs are made for this actually, the problem is that some still don't have a gamepage and stuff. Guess it's time to make one? To be honest, the loss of screenshot topic didn't affect me at all because it makes everything too forum centric But maybe if they're just starting that's going to be a problem where to post I guess.

Just my two cents *throws it into the puddle*
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
First, the only reason I PM somebody is when I get bashed first and I disapprove of it. I PM so I don't have to post on the original topic, because whenever I post my thoughts they are usually bashed. I PM so nobody will try to start a arugument with me over the internet.

So basically, you use PMs because you can't hold a decent discussion out in the open? I'll have to note to actually respond to your (literally) 1-line PMs, then.

Protip: Your thoughts wouldn't be bashed if it wasn't about inflating your ego and carefully guarding your latest youtube video.

Alright now let me address these people saying i'm harrassing them. That is complete falsehood, I never start any arguments.......everybody knows I just defend myself.

By clearly lashing out at people who are trying to give you humble, constructive criticism, you are at that point creating an unneccesary argument. Even worse, you then proceed to flaunt your ego and staunchly defend against or ignore any negative comment.

Which I will stop doing because it makes me look just as low as the person who started the argument.

You just contradicted yourself by coming out and defending yourself in this topic.

You people are trying to hide the fact that I am harrassed almost everytime I post a message.

Rather than whining that you are being viewed as a pest everywhere you go here, I suggest you reflect on why people view you as a pest. For the record, it takes a whole lot to annoy most of the people here.

I can post up many examples......look at the "Get these words off my avatar" topic......read all the random trolling on that page.

I agree that topic has met the end of its useful life. However, its initial purpose of telling you to fix your ways seems to have fallen on deaf ears and blind eyes.

Even when I left that topic people were still trolling....I had even said I accepted the words under my avatar.

You never really understood what everyone in that topic was trying to tell you, did you?

There are many more examples that can be shown.

As I'm sure. The number of topics you managed to derail in one fashion or another is countless.

Even Karsuman has seen the trolling I receive.

I'm pretty sure he has, and he probably doesn't pity you if that screenshot topic was any indication.

I have stated my purpose here and it's peaceful.....I want no arguments with anyone....I just want to make my games.

Please do, nobody's stopping you from making your game; we just want you to stop flaunting your ego, stop posting youtube videos that never really change, and stop advertising your game as revolutionary. People might take you more seriously if you actually released something playable as well.

I don't see why you people continually try to get me banned and keep on arguing about me. That is the problem..... Just leave me alone and the problem will be stopped......

The fact that you derail topics and annoy people with your ego won't change even if we left you alone.

Actually, we would be leaving you alone to do your thing if it weren't for you derailing topics and annoying people with your ego.

Stop trying to insult me everytime I post a message.

There's a fine line between insults and constructive, negative comments. You seem to have a problem distinguishing between the two and I really suggest you learn the difference between them.

You guys have even went after me over my TYPING.......thats pretty low.

Nobody is going to deny that the way you write English is hard to read and/or understand.

Just leave this alone.....I have done nothing wrong here and you guys know it. When I first came to this site I must admit that I was bad.....but then I APOLOGIZED and stopped my arrogant ways.

You've clearly PMed people to a point that they view it as harrassment, that alone is clearly breaking section 6, line 7 of the RMN ToS.

You also clearly lie if you're saying you've stopped your arrogant ways, that RM2K3 topic in which you bailed out shows your arrogant side quite well.

But that still didn't stop people from trolling me and constantly trying to argue with me.

Some of those people, such as WolfCoder most recently, were trying to have a social, constructive discussion with you. You labeled them all together as "trolls" and lashed out, though, so you really brought this on yourself through your ignorant actions.

Lets just all grow up and stop this foolishness.....I am over it, I don't see why you members aren't. Lets just have fun on RMN....like its meant for it to be!

You do realize that you consistently disrupt the forums everytime you post and lash out against people who are trying to help you or otherwise have some sort of decent discussion with you, right? While you're far from the only one to blame, you have quite a career in killing that "fun" you speak of so highly.
All I really have to say is this;

Honestly I think too many of you give AFD too much attention. Really, it's not hard to just ignore what he says and let the mods and administration deal with it if you think he's really stirring up trouble. If you see AFD, or any other member for that matter, breaking a rule(s), or if you think they're breaking a rule, the people who run this place are just a PM away. Report it, instead of trying to play Internet Sheriff and ruin topics by arguing back and forth.

This quote caught my eye as well. This is true, for better or worse. Keep in mind I don't really feel strongly one way or the other about much else being discussed in this particular topic, but I want to echo that the above quote rings true for whatever comes RMNs way now or in the future.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Somehow I knew some heat would stir up in this topic.

Well, WIP, if you plan for something better to replace the screenshot topic, then I guess I have no real complaints. I'm entirely aware of the blog system, and I didn't mention it because often times I don't really see anyone even looking at some of the game pages that are created on this site. Also, why create a game page when you have not really developed your project enough to have a demo ready of it? I just thought some people have enough work they would like to show, but not enough to really start a game page for it, but I'm going to trust you guys on this.

Also, can we stop talking about AFD?
I'm entirely aware of the blog system, and I didn't mention it because often times I don't really see anyone even looking at some of the game pages that are created on this site. Also, why create a game page when you have not really developed your project enough to have a demo ready of it? I just thought some people have enough work they would like to show, but not enough to really start a game page for it, but I'm going to trust you guys on this.

Almost every single blog I make I encourage others to hop on the wagon and make blogs as well. Gamepages, blogs, and the related work around here the same way any product works anywhere else; if you present it well, looks good, has substance, etc, they will come. While there are hidden gems here, generally, if a game page isn't getting any attention, its either because the creator isn't putting in the work to make it stand out, or his game just doesn't straight up look that good.

Like I said before, I encourage everyone to blog their progress and to keep up with their games, because doing the opposite (sitting on your hands/nothing), does absolutely no favors for you or anyone else.

Also, if you feel your game isn't far enough to make a game page, don't sweat it. Just keep working on it until it is. Make it a goal, and even then, you DON'T need to have a demo ready to make a game page. Take a look at all of the promising and popular game pages that don't have demos yet. Worst case scenario, you can just put the barebones of your game on a gamepage and build it from there, with all of the RMN community there to watch it grow.