PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS 7

Pages: first 1234 next last
I didn't know where to post this, at it's not related at MAKING games, but at PLAYING them. Well, as it's related to games anyway, I hope that it will fit here.

I've been given a new computer lately...with Windows7 family Edition pre-installed. It replaced my old one, that had Windows XP Pro installed on it. All the RPG Maker games worked fine with that OS, even if VX and XP lagged so much.
This new comp is very powerful, but Windows7 doesn't like RMXP and RMVX games, though I have absolutely no problem with the RM2K and RM2K3 games.

When a setup program isincluded in the .zip file, the game can be installed, and most of the time can be played without any problem.
When there is none, when I try and run the game, I get the message "RGSS (or RGSS2) player stopped working" (I hope that I translated it fine)...a well known error message, isn't it?

First of all, I changed the parameters so that every game was executed in compatibility mode with Windows XP . No result.

I tried to switch out the DEP for the RTPs and RSS files I'd dowloaded, but it didn't work. So I had to. open every game file andun-active the DEP for any .exe file I could find there.
Some games worked, mostly RMVX ones, but others didn't.
I downloaded the RGSS3 file made by RPG Advocate, but got no result. I tried to:
- simply add it
- add it and remove the RGSS1 or 2
- when there were two or more different RGSS files, remove only one of them and replace it with the RGSS3 file.
No result at all this time, but I must admit that I was fed up and tried only for two games.

So here is the bilan:

RMXP:

Working:
Exit Fate
Exodus
Fate's Defenders
Sleepers
The Serpents Eye

Not working:
Knight Templar
Phylomortis
The New Earth
Last scenario, (made by SCF) ,Symphonic Rhapsody and Mists of Naladia, (made by Darkhalo) , 3 games that are not available here.

RMVX:

Not working:
Demon tower
Versus Xerxa
Visions and Voices

Working:
Avarice
Harper
Magic quest Series
Mokensen
Power quest Demo
Rhukaat plus
staff of Cyrenia
The Cartographer
The Contract
Thief VX

The strangest fact is that during the two or three days after I got the comp, it was able to run "Visions and Voices" properly. Seems that one of the updates I got for Windows7 messed it all.

My post is rather long, but I wanted to give all the details, just in case.
I'm out of ideas, and merely getting mad!
Please help!
XP to Vista was a pain as well. Let me explain quite simply. Windows 7 was designed from scratch using some of vista's already derelict hardware. As such, these games may work on a laptop that was designed for vista/or designed for windows 7 itself! However, when it comes to the transfer of programs on an XP based hardware, results will vary to extreme degrees. This means you may have lower ability than not. Personally, I am going to wait till the first SP1 or SP2 comes out.
Ready for completely unhelpful anecdotal observations? I got Windows 7 Home on two computers and both XP and VX work perfectly fine on both. I built them and put use an OEM disk instead of any sort of preinstall headaches ("Family" edition? Windows 7 comes in Home, Professional, and Ultimate flavours but no Family). On my old Vista Home Premium I somehow broke RMXP completely to the point that I could only get XP games to play using an old outdated RGSS dll made to crack encryption and I couldn't even get the editor to run. Never figured out what caused it; Un/Reinstalling RMXP and its RTP did nothing and it only went away when I upgraded to Windows 7.

How long have you had the computer? Did it originally play all XP/VX games or was this a recent development? And what on earth is this RGSS3 by RPG Advocate?
Try hacking rmvx to make it run on vista basic. As far as my vista home premium, it worked on boot up, but now I get updater messages from apple in japanese and in my file dictionaries, I get ¥ instead of \. Face it, windows sucks. Back to my trustworthy free dos on my mono-chrome screen.
if you were me you'd use a virtualbox and a pirate copy of XP, but that's me!
I've not had any problems with Windows 7 and I've had it for about 6 months now. All RMs seem to work, though XP lags like a bitch.
post=119860
XP to Vista was a pain as well. Let me explain quite simply. Windows 7 was designed from scratch using some of vista's already derelict hardware. As such, these games may work on a laptop that was designed for vista/or designed for windows 7 itself! However, when it comes to the transfer of programs on an XP based hardware, results will vary to extreme degrees. This means you may have lower ability than not. Personally, I am going to wait till the first SP1 or SP2 comes out.

I seriously wish I had done that. It took me two freaking weeks to get windows 7 working in a way I'd like.

OH LOOK Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 dead 2 stutters to shit! BUT WINDOWS SEVEN IS SUPERIOR! I had to download Gamebooster and set an exception in my antivirus just to get games to run properly.

OH LOOK, NO WAY TO DISABLE MOUSE ACCELERATION! Had to dick around with ease of use bars, install a registry fix, add commands to games, and finally install razer software and new firmware to get the mouse to act the way I wanted it to (Ironically It feels better than it did on XP)

HEY! A random freeze. RESTART

Ok restarted... OH HEY ANOTHER FREEZE

OH HEY ANOTHER

ANOT...

Safe mode - restart

IM FINE NOW FOR NOW

@ facesforce: I would have stuck with Windows XP, but the present was a complete surprise, so I didn't have any opportunity to give my opinion. I think that the ultimate (and most expensive) versions of Windows 7 allow you to switch to Windows XP in order to be able to run some programs, and that you can too switch from 64b to 32 b and back to 64 again.
Well, I guess that W7 will improve with time...but right now, I have to find ways to make it work.

@GreatRedSpirit: "Family edition" is the name given to the French version. ( changing names, what a stupid idea...) I've read somewhere that there were problems with the non-English versions of Windows Vista and 7, due to the use of special characters in the translated texts.
My previous computer was very old: to give you an idea, it was sold with Windows Millenium (Windows Me in english) pre-installed, so I fast changed it for Windows XP pro.
RGSS3 is the (wrong) name I use for "RGSS103J.dll", that is supposed to fix problems encountered with Vista. If it really works, then it could work with Windows 7 too, or at least I think so.

The new comp is a Packard Bell imedia S3720
Processor Pentium (R) Dual-Core - CPU E5300 @ - 2.60 Ghz
4.00 GB RAM
OS 64 bits.
I've got it two or three days before Christmas.
And no, your comment was not "unhelpful anecdotal observations". :)

@Geodude: yes, it could be the solution, but it will take a lot of room, so I will do it only if it's the last available solution. Also I don't like much hacking for myself, "but that's me!" ;)

I transferred all the RPGMaker and RTPs programs from my old PC to the new one and installed them, including RMVX.

And yes, Windows doesn't worth anything.
Nightblade, I couldn't agree more with you. Except that I'm not fine for now. :P

not really. 3-4GB for XP SP3 and however much else for whatever you want to run! no 'hacking' required either
post=120100
no 'hacking' required either

Really? Well, maybe I should have used the word "pirate" instead, because I don't have the Windows XP installation disk anymore. silly me.
Or is there a legal way to get Windows XP back?
yeah, i didn't think you meant hacking. you would have to get a pirate copy of XP, but by their nature they're free and widely available if you know where to look ;)
post=120106
you would have to get a pirate copy of XP, but by their nature they're free and widely available if you know where to look ;)

...and as we are good citizens respecting the law, we won't use them, will we? :P
Even if I got one, I would have to part my HD, what I already did in the past with all the the problems that it implies.
Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice. :)
Extract this to the folder of an RMXP game that doesn't work and change Game.ini to use this RGSS dll. This is what worked when XP and Vista decided to hate each other and I'm curious if this let's you play the games that doesn't work.

Also can you open the XP/VX editors at all?
post=120109
post=120106
you would have to get a pirate copy of XP, but by their nature they're free and widely available if you know where to look ;)
Even if I got one, I would have to part my HD, what I already did in the past with all the the problems that it implies.

not if you use a virtual machine, it creates a virtual hard drive as a file on your existing hard drive. the virtual hard drive also has a rolling storage capacity, meaning instead of being a full-size hard drive it will only be as large as the files present on it.
OH! I almost forgot about the wonderful new Black Screen of Death.

YES, sometimes Windows 7 says "I DONT FEEL LIKE BOOTING" and instead of loading your desktop; loads a black screen and your mouse cursor!

If you're lucky, windows restore will save you. If you're not so lucky, you'll have to install some crappy third party EXE, if the world hates you - youll have to reinstall windows.

FUN!
post=120201

YES, sometimes Windows 7 says "I DONT FEEL LIKE BOOTING" and instead of loading your desktop; loads a black screen and your mouse cursor!

If you're lucky, windows restore will save you. If you're not so lucky, you'll have to install some crappy third party EXE, if the world hates you - youll have to reinstall windows.

FUN!

Actually, this happened to my Vista Home Premium before the release SP2, so it seems to run in the Microsoft family.
post=120201

FUN!

I haven't had that one - actually Windows 7 is by far the smoothest Microsoft Upgrade I've ever had so far. :0 Vista would install the bootloader on the wrong drive on one of my machines. I'd chalk it up to me just having a little bit strange hardware setup on it, but XP never had an issue figuring it out. Two steps forward one step back I guess.

You should grab yourself a Linux distro just as backup (I like Ubuntu myself). You can boot up and run the entire OS off a CD/USB Stick without installing anything. It won't save you from Windows crapping out, but handy to have around if Windows does get to a point it can't boot. You can boot entirely into Linux off the CD/USB, and access the hard-drive to backup files or whatever before formatting and reinstalling Windows. I've saved several friends stuff with it.
post=120216
post=120201

FUN!
I haven't had that one - actually Windows 7 is by far the smoothest Microsoft Upgrade I've ever had so far. :0 Vista would install the bootloader on the wrong drive on one of my machines. I'd chalk it up to me just having a little bit strange hardware setup on it, but XP never had an issue figuring it out. Two steps forward one step back I guess.

Gee golly jeepers! You not having an issue makes it all better.
you having apparently unrelated problems makes it all worse ::)

(no issues over here aside predictable compatibility of old old software)
post=120217
Gee golly jeepers! You not having an issue makes it all better.

Sorry man. I thought since you explained in your post how to fix the problem you were having meant you didn't need help and you were just bitching about your problems. I was just having conversation by sharing my horror story involving the bootloader in Windows Vista. I wasn't rubbing shit in your face or whatever you seemed to have misconstrued from my post.

I don't know how to solve the problems you're having, but if I were you I would just switch back to Windows XP if possible. Way I figure none of the new stuff Windows 7 offers is worth the headaches it seems to be causing you.
Pages: first 1234 next last