PIXELS

Trying out random pixel art, for a sidescrolling game.
Wow, you guys are talented!

I've only started pixel art myself very recently, as I made the dubious decision to sprite everything in my RPG from scratch. When I started, I had the notion that pixel art would actually be somewhat easier than the regular painting I do-how naive! In many ways, pixel art is actually much more difficult than more 'traditional' art forms, as there is absolutely zero room for error!

I will now bend the rules by posting pics of maps that are not technically in-game to show some of the sprite work I have done. I'm learning new stuff every day, and many of my improvements are due to the input of the talented people on this site.

Edit: Unfortunately, for some reason I cannot link to the proper files at this time. My apologies!
^ With an attitude like that, you're bound to learn fast. Keep it up.

I've also made a rpg game with everything from scratch, and I have to say it's not easy. However, it was "my world" so it motivated me to finish, and you learn more things that way.

First thing that ever took me a long time to finish. I'm not good with animals at all.

Still need to shade and in a way that adds a texture feel to it and make things stand out more.
Thanks xeilmach! I feel the same way about my game. The more pain, the greater the reward after all!

Since I can't link to the files I was going to, and to avoid cross posting with the screenshot topic, I'll post some sprites from a new area I'm working on (though some of it is texturing, which might be considered 'cheating' ;))

Ketsumio
I guess he's an Xbox and I'm more Atari
Fan-Art of Red Riding hood...Endling!! <--link

I have always wanted to see a Pixel Hack N' Slash Game with her... I can dream. LOL

Archie wanted me to put her hood up, to make her look more sinister. She still looks cute though. <3

update!...I am now going to make a running animation!

Time to kick this thread to life.

Something more recent. Its a super villain called Atomic Mantis.

Something newer. A mock up of a sidescroller, did it for a challenge, I was short on time, so please excuse the choppiness.
hey so i just went through this whole topic and there's a lot of great stuff (plenty of bad stuff too but hey).

for the sake of contributing here's something that i made earlier this year (with magical nonmoving rose):

more recently, i'm working on a modern graphics pack for VX. you can expect to see more in the future; here's some interior objects.

This page is filled with awesomeness.

@Despain: Where were you when I needed modern chipsets huh?
@Despain: A non-moving rose? Sweet! The character style is lovely! The tiles are also good.
@Bonehead: Hahahaha! Meme reference. I like your style too.
@Ketsumio: With some antialiasing, it will look better I think, but as it is, it's good.
--
Oh well, as supremewarrior said... page filled with awesomeness.
Now to post something...
RM2k3 Ahriman revamping!

And my version (now made from scratch)

Do I love to do Ahrimans? Who knows,
Orochii Zouveleki
author=GameOverGames Productions
My pixels are quite interactive.

Also pretty much the only pixel "artwork" I have ever done is where the pixels form "art" based on my coding and how the game is played.

Edit: Oh and
I don't get the first image but I liked Blocks.

just a garbodor. isnt he cuddly

probably gonna animate soon.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year

Palette is pretty awful but I'm not changing every colour in the game just so this one sprite can look better. Even if the quality isn't consistent, at least the colours are >.>
hey krysty—my biggest advice for you is to start with FORM and then add detail. creating an outline first and then coloring it in leads to all sorts of problems that make it very hard to present visual depth. i approach pixel art like a painting, starting with blob forms and then refining them. it will probably help you a lot.

also you could really try some AA to smooth out the girl's hair. the jagged lines on it are really jarring.

anyway, here's some stuff from me. if anybody hangs out in irc they've probable seen it.

author=despain
creating an outline first and then coloring it in leads to all sorts of problems that make it very hard to present visual depth.

That's really a matter of preference though. Both have their pros and cons, I really prefer 'forms' in animation but outlining for stills.
author=orochii
And my version (now made from scratch)

"Oh you little rascal!"
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
orochii, the wings, claws, face, hood, etc. on the Ahriman are terrific. My issue is with the body; the highlighting looks like an afterthought, and I have no idea what material that's supposed to be just by looking at the (lack of) texture. It's unfortunate, because everything except the twisted body looks great.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
author=Darken
author=despain
creating an outline first and then coloring it in leads to all sorts of problems that make it very hard to present visual depth.
That's really a matter of preference though. Both have their pros and cons, I really prefer 'forms' in animation but outlining for stills.

In response to this, normally when making characters I do a skeleton frame, block colours and then fix it up. When doing machines, however, I do outlines. I struggle with machines and I find doing outlines helps me a lot.

In the sprite I posted, I actually did both. Miri and Kumo were blocked and shaded, the motorbike was outlined :)

Just sprucing up some of the item icons to match the intended style.
There's so much talent here! I need to start on something so I can contribute too...
Despain, your character sprite looks great as well.