INTENTIONALLY BAD GAMES.

Pages: first 1234 next last
What is everybody's opinion on intentionally bad games? I'm talking about games designed to brutally mock other games, horrible cliches, or other aspects of the RPG community?

I'll hold this game up as an example

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1398/

I'm just asking because I'm sarcastic, bitter and having difficulty coming up with a concept for a short good game. So please try to talk me out of making a short bad game which would probably involve ninjas.
If there is one thing I can appreciate about un-intentionally bad games, is that no matter how bad the game is, the person who made it: tried. There was a thought behind it all, no matter how cliche and badly executed, there was some kind of effort that made it happen. So any sort of feedback placed upon it has some weight towards improving the author's abilities so he can make a better game, or at least understand what he did wrong.

However, some game a person farted out because he was bored and therefore doesn't give a shit if someone calls it shit (because that was apparently the point)? Those are a complete waste of time and energy. The author knows what mistakes he did, because they were intentional. The author has nothing to improve upon, because there is no need to. Shit, would be the right definition for this, because you take a dump in the toilet, flush it, and never come back to it. Why would you? Unless you work in the sewers (which is the same as forever making intentionally bad games).

Please try to make a good game.
Most games that describe themselves as intentionally or ironically bad are just shitty games with "i meant to suck gimme ur lolz" overtones. Even if done well, there's really only room for a few of these games before it becomes horribly played out.

However, YOU could be one of the exceptions, so I'm not going to tell you not to try. Good luck to you sir!

All fun games are good games to begin with, the lampoons just have intentionally bad/cliche paint jobs.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
You walk into a door.
YOU DIE.

Damn did I hate that game, although it was funny for a minute. I didn't mind the game that much since I knew it was going to be bad going into it, and it amused me. For a few seconds. Then I deleted it and never thought about it again.
I guess... I didn't mind it too much, since I did actually try to make it through the game and reloaded a few times, but then I got bored. So, I don't hate it since it amused me for a few minutes and wasn't taking it seriously to begin with.

Then again, I would probably hate the person who made it on principle, for the reasons Darken stated.
post=121624
You walk into a door.
YOU DIE.

Yeah, if a poor game mechanic is implemented due to lack of design competence or for satirical/clever/lolz purposes, then I don't see how it can add to the fun at all (if there was any).
post=121627
post=121624
You walk into a door.
YOU DIE.
Yeah, if a poor game mechanic is implemented due to lack of design competence or for satirical/clever/lolz purposes, then I don't see how it can add to the fun at all (if there was any).

Ok I would definitely not be going that far. I was thinking more along the lines of having a city called Johnsontown shaped like a dick and balls, retarded six-grader sort of humor.
I can't stand them, people think they are being ironic and funny by producing trash and it's sad that its what the majority of rm games have become, and more sadly the rm community.
Yeah, surely the standard for RM games is way too low.
post=121628
a city called Johnsontown shaped like a dick and balls

approved
Intentionally or not, bad games are bad, and I wouldn't play it. Simple as that.
I would guess that people who intentionally make bad games are too scared to try and make a good one.
I play enough unintentionally bad games.

Why would I need to play intentionally bad ones?
Intentionally bad games are worthless and stupid. A satirical or comedic game does not have to be intentionally downgraded on standards to be funny or make its point. In my opinion they should have just as much effort put into them as anything else.
Yes, Ratty made a bad game on purpose. but he also has other good stuff: http://rpgmaker.net/games/1317/ So it wasn't just a copout, he was just joking around with it, and the way that it combined concepts from different games in a manner that parodied them, actually made it entertaining to read through. And the way it was presented as if it were a serious game that kind of parodied the way some community members have sometimes sounded overly serious about their FF fangame or whatever. To me, it was a reminder of that making the game itself needs to be an enjoyable experience. It also felt like there was a bit more effort than just "LOL SHITTY GAM HERE WE GO" but rather, he thought out ways to make it funny for players.

Read the review! http://rpgmaker.net/games/1398/reviews/597/
post=121643
I play enough unintentionally bad games.

Why would I need to play intentionally bad ones?

This and if you want to be satirical, I *think* if my memory serves me pretty well, Earthbound is a parody done well, feel free to correct me if I mixed it up with another game I know ._.

What's the point of wasting energy over an intentionally bad game if you can use that time to make a good one :<
Well, as someone who has created an intentionally bad game, I'll have to say that I really enjoyed the experience of creating something really awful on purpose, but it apparently wasn't very well recieved. You might want to keep that in mind when you work on your project.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I think there needs to be a distinction between satire and shit. Healy's game was satire. Phylomortis: Quest for the Golden Brassiere was shit.
Ok, I guess the answer is "don't even fucking think about it". Fair enough.

Actually Darken won me over with his first post. Tempted to play devil's advocate mind you.
@Healy, I actually liked that to be honest, it's actually hilarious and not just plain shitty game make me rage quit or what a waste of time :X
No.

The charm of bad games is that, at some point in the game, somebody said "This is good enough" when it only meets the quality standards of, at best, the NES. The myriad of issues or poor decisions by people who don't grasp what it takes to make a good game is why people play these pieces of shit. However they still tried to make a not-terrible game. When your goal is 'a terrible game' it will be a terrible game devoid of the charm, effort, and wonder how something like this ever got finished and approved.
post=121658
I think there needs to be a distinction between satire and shit. Healy's game was satire. Phylomortis: Quest for the Golden Brassiere was shit.

post=121660
@Healy, I actually liked that to be honest, it's actually hilarious and not just plain shitty game make me rage quit or what a waste of time :X

I am actually sort of shocked that you two like that game. What would you say, then, is the vital difference between my game and other bad-on-purpose games?
Pages: first 1234 next last