FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS

Pages: first 12 next last
Depending on your knowledge/fandom of the Fallout universe, this trailer could either raise a lot of questions or none at all.

Around a year of its announcement, Obsidian (!) finally gives us a tidbit on New Vegas with this new trailer. Supposedly, this trailer is only the beginning of the news we're slated to get, but it alone is pretty exciting. Not only am I psyched that Fallout is going back to its roots (Obsidian Entertainment), but the setting is too, back on the West Coast. I'll update this topic as we get news, but so far, the trailer alone has me pretty excited!
I always knew the NCR couldn't be trusted

Obsidian = great news. But Bethesda still royally fucked up, and Obsidian has a lot to make up for.
Sister's response to trailer: "No wonder you're always broke you keep spending your money on video games godda-...wait, why is New Vegas all lit up?"
I was underwhelmed by the teaser. I mean I like Obsidian and all but the teaser wasn't even much of a tease. Compare the teaser to the Bethesda Post Apocalyptic Elder Scrolls Teaser.

Bethesda Postapocalyptics Elder Scrolls

New Vegas

They are essentially copies of each other and somehow that really put me off.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Wow. They're not just copies, they're the exact same thing flipped on the horizontal plane.
I have no idea how different this is going to be from Fallout 3, which was pretty cool, but I can't really stand Bethesda's "battle system": I'm a much bigger fan of the old style, like in Fallout 1 and 2.

I wonder if Obsidian is going to alter this somehow; if they do, that would be stellar.
I am a fan of the Fallout "theme", not necessarily it's battle engine. I liked Fallout 2, just as much as I liked Fallout 3, they both gave me the lone wanderer feel, in a dark post-apocalyptic setting with open world exploration. I mean, I never put much thought into the battle system. I still felt immersed in both games, and this must count for something.

I don't care where obsidian goes with New Vegas, heck even if they decide on a completely new battle system. I'm just looking for that dark humor, and if they can still keep the theme intact.
Fallout 1 and 2 are my favorite PC games. However I don't really agree with the old fans that think Fallout 3 screwed everything up. I suspect that Obsidian would have made Fallout 3 exactly the same way Bathesda did.

As far as I am concerned, Fallout 3 is probably closer to the vision that Black Isle originally had when they developed the first two. The first two games were obviously designed to be THE MAD MAX EXPERIENCE, but current PC technology made an isometric RPG the best realization of that. I think that the first-person, comically-violent version of Fallout that Bathesda made is closer to the Mad Max experience than Fallout 1 and 2 ever were.

That said, I have faith in Obsidian and I am looking forward to this! I always love Obsidian's games - even though they are always sequels and they are always really buggy and they are never finished.
I strongly doubt Obsidian would have made Fallout 3 like Bethesda did. Fallout 3 under Obsidian's watch would have been similar to Neverwinter Nights 2 (which was not very good compared to the first one and not very good at all compared to any game that wasn't full of bugs), only filled with post-apocalyptic tropes instead of fantasy cliches. Don't get me wrong! I enjoyed NWN1 and 2 a lot (until 2 stopped working completely for no reason) and I have really enjoyed every Fallout to date that I've played.

If Oblivion had made Fallout 3 it would have been very forgettable. Why? Take everything people don't like about Fallout 3 now- the vast swathes of world that are nothing but empty countryside, the missed opportunity for content, the relatively short single players game- and add in Obsidian's track record of releasing unpolished games. What you have left is a game that would more than likely become unplayable ten or so hours in.

Obsidian isn't Black Isle. There are parts of Black Isle there, but there is some cohesion that is sorely missing from the old team. When Obsidian releases a game that I really enjoy without having to casually overlook gamebreaking bugs every few minutes I'll start getting excited about their upcoming projects.

Like I said, I liked NWN2 quite a lot, but it wasn't anything ground breaking and it wasn't anything memorable, which is exactly what is needed in a Fallout title. I'm certainly not writing off New Vegas; chances are I'll pick it up soon after release, but I don't think that Obsidian is a company that automatically merits excitement.

Bethesda's biggest problem is their incredibly generic art direction (Oblivion is a good looking game aside from the mono-colour dreariness, but it's pretty exactly what you expect; I could have thought up the locales and I have the imagination of a stump. Compare to Half-Life 2, Fallout 2, and so on. Megaton was pretty awesome to behold, though), so hopefully the marriage of Bethesda's technology and ex-Black Isle art direction will end up giving us a beautiful baby and Obsidian will finally live up to its distinguished pedigree.
post=122002
They are essentially copies of each other and somehow that really put me off.

Like I said on IRC, what the New Vegas trailer implies is a bigger deal than anything that actually occurs in the trailer. The fact that New Vegas is all lit up, and the presence of the NCR flag is the big deal here, not "WTF IT'S JUST A GUY LOOKING OFF OF A CLIFF WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL HERE"

You could argue that the New Vegas trailer doesn't really offer anything to people who aren't fans of the franchise, but to those who are fans of the Fallout setting and know a lot about the setting, that trailer alone is causing speculation and theories to light up like wildfire.
Well, the NCR from Fallout 2 had a series of rules on a poster if I remember. Let me try to qoute this correctly, if my memory seves right.
Welcome to the North California Republic! Now your here, why don't you join us? To have your community/providence/territory to be annexed, first sign a petition with at least 20-100 different members of the community and wait at least 3-6 months for your area's request to be processed!

Those were the rules, so it would be simple if Las Vegas signed up for the annexation act of the NCR.
Unfortunately, war never changes.
@Kaempfer: I loved NWN2, it had no bugs nor did I have issues with it, there was nothing that ruined the game, nothing that made me quit. So... I'm really stunned. I mean, you can't hate a game that simply doesn't work with your hardware and/or settings. :/

People, why are you concerned that Fallout is strictly west coast? I mean here's a hint: Fallout takes place on... on... Earth! There's a particularly explosive history with the Chinese, so, I wouldn't mind if a future game took place over seas.
@Radnen: In addition to a slew of quest glitches that were admittedly mostly trivial I also had a few graphical errors. While those were hardware issues, the game ceasing to operate because of errors caused by invalid scripting every time I tried to advance the quest (I was just finished that druid's glen thing outside the coastal city, I think I was just leaving) sort of caused me to leave with a bitter taste. You try putting however many hours in and then having the game CEASE TO FUNCTION. It was fully patched and everything, but every time I entered the area, before I could do anything, the game would hang. Yeah, that was a lot of fun. Don't think I didn't try fiddling with the settings, either. I am not technostupid and I couldn't fix it. I didn't say I didn't like it, though, and I especially didn't say I hated it. Just the opposite! But it must be my fault I am a dumby because it broke through no fault of my own, right?

What I'm confused about with the whole NCR thing is that they are obviously good guys in Fallout 2; they are a bit totalitarian, but they have an elected leader and they control guns/drugs/crime in general across the wasteland. When they suddenly become the Ominous Evil Empire? Fuck the Brotherhood of Steel man, they are useless. NCR is where it's at!
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
Anyone looking to Obsidian to save anything never played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II.
post=122096
@Radnen: In addition to a slew of quest glitches that were admittedly mostly trivial I also had a few graphical errors. While those were hardware issues, the game ceasing to operate because of errors caused by invalid scripting every time I tried to advance the quest (I was just finished that druid's glen thing outside the coastal city, I think I was just leaving) sort of caused me to leave with a bitter taste. You try putting however many hours in and then having the game CEASE TO FUNCTION. It was fully patched and everything, but every time I entered the area, before I could do anything, the game would hang. Yeah, that was a lot of fun. Don't think I didn't try fiddling with the settings, either. I am not technostupid and I couldn't fix it. I didn't say I didn't like it, though, and I especially didn't say I hated it. Just the opposite! But it must be my fault I am a dumby because it broke through no fault of my own, right?

Hmm... I've always wondered why some peoples games don't work well and other peoples games do. I mean, games are only a binary resource, the only thing that changes is either the hardware or settings including patches and updates. Those "invalid scripting" errors in your game should be apparent on my computer and other computers, no? But then... why is it not? Is this really considered magic?
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I'm not overly interested in the Fallout franchise, simply because I don't like the feeling that I'm fucked and so is the rest of the world so why bother?, but I -do- really like how they're moving between different locations. It gives you a chance to explore all these areas of a 3D post-apocolyptic America.
That's pretty awesome. Hope they do San Fran or LA if they haven't already (not including the FO1&2...which I even don't know where they took place.)
post=122109
I'm not overly interested in the Fallout franchise, simply because I don't like the feeling that I'm fucked and so is the rest of the world so why bother?

That's the entire point of the series, the world is fucked (and it's humanity's fault), but every game is all about humanity trying to pick up the pieces towards something better.

post=122096
What I'm confused about with the whole NCR thing is that they are obviously good guys in Fallout 2; they are a bit totalitarian, but they have an elected leader and they control guns/drugs/crime in general across the wasteland. When they suddenly become the Ominous Evil Empire? Fuck the Brotherhood of Steel man, they are useless. NCR is where it's at!

Right, which is why I'm not trying to jump to conclusions JUST YET. According to a magazine article the fandom just got their hands on (and some of us may have read already), the general major faction antagonism is NCR vs. Caesers Legion vs. New Vegas, so the NCR may not be antagonists per se, but it may be a matter of NCR trying to expand (and New Vegas, considering it's pretty intact, looks to be a pretty valuable target for a post-wasteland country!)
Yeah, the NCR might not be inherently evil or have any sinister intent at all but a recurring theme in the Fallout series is that not everyone wants the reform they're trying to impose on the entire wasteland, and I'm hoping New Vegas will really flesh out the conflict that will inevitably arise from that while showing some progress in the recovery/dissemination of technology across the wastes. And no goddamn token celebrity voice actors this time for god's sake take that money and pay some people to make more weapons or maps or something people will actually give a flying fig newton about
No, the NCR was not the sort of government state to invade other areas unless they went through the proper protocols, even the fallout bible does not contradict this. The brotherhood of steel was the overly zealous cult that kept technology from others at all costs. Tactics explains why the east cost branch is so different, but....
I remember the NCR running out all gambling and criminal operations outside their territory. That is why New Reno was the real criminal hub during fallout 2 and depending what you did, your own son becomes the boss of new reno and runs it with an iron fist, so why would las vegas be their new ground? Simple. It has not been used yet in any of the games.

post=122109
That's pretty awesome. Hope they do San Fran or LA if they haven't already (not including the FO1&2...which I even don't know where they took place.)

In fallout 1, LA was brought back as the boneyards and in fallout 2, I believe LA returned as some Chinese crime lord's home turf (Think like Emperor Ching from flash gordon). All I remember is that they had guards with big guns and a bloody force field. I never made it further than to the hubologists before they killed me.
Pages: first 12 next last