FAT PEOPLE NOT WELCOME ON DATING SITE.

Pages: first 123 next last
http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/personal/01/04/dating.site.overweight/index.html

This is actually relatively old news, but I wondered what you guys would have to say about this? While technically since the website is a private domain it was within the rights to do what they did, do you think it's 'right' for them to have that sort of selectiveness towards their clientèle? On the other hand, do you think it was too heavy handed and discriminatory? What does this say about the current standards of beauty and attractiveness in looking for a mate in today's society?

What are your thoughts on this?

Addendum: This really isn't about the website itself. I know it's within their rights, yadda yadda yadda. I was really hoping to discuss things like the societal standard of beauty and all that jazz.
I think as private they should be able to do that if they want, regardless of our opinions.
Of course, but what I wanted to discuss was the actual validity/bigger vantage point/etc of their motivations for doing so, and all that junk. I understand they are perfectly allowed to do what they want within their own site, and whatnot.
It's certainly not discriminatory, I mean, fuck, if fat people want to date why not make a fat dating site? There is no logic for a fat person to be on a website that doesn't cater to them.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
It sounds to me like the people expelled weren't even fat, but had merely added a couple of pounds from the holidays. Despite what Radnen says, it's obviously discriminatory -- the site admits that much. It's a dick move by the site though, but totally within their rights. I don't feel sorry for the people that got expelled though. It's their own fault for joining such a pretentious community.
I actually find this quite interesting, Feld.

Anyway, yeah, they have the right to do whatever they want, but I personally don't find it morally right. I'm not attracted towards larger women myself (in fact, it's the polar opposite; I like skinny girls...like 120 lbs or lower girls are hot), but there's nothing really wrong with fat people. I'm friends with a lot of them.

post=122092
It's certainly not discriminatory, I mean, fuck, if fat people want to date why not make a fat dating site? There is no logic for a fat person to be on a website that doesn't cater to them.

This may only be slightly related, but my former roommate was a +400 pound guy, but he only is interesting in thinner women; he's said he finds fat women ugly. Anyway, I bring this up because he wouldn't join a "fat dating site", Radnen.
You are all missing the point that the only people who would join this are douchebags, and the only people who would rejoin this site after being booted off are doubly as douchebaggy.

Seriously, have you ever met good looking people? Maybe 1/5 is actually interesting. Maybe a further 1/10 of those people acknowledge how good looking they are. Of those few remaining people, maybe 1/20 can't find someone they want to date in their own communities.

So a bunch of vapid idiots ousted a bunch of other vapid idiots. Seriously, if I was forced to vote for a site like that do you know how many people I would say were good looking? Even if they weren't that good looking because I am not a dickbag?

I vote we put all the people on that site onto an island and let them see if they can't build a beautiful community before it collapsed into anarchy and chaos because they were all looking out for #1.
post=122099
This may only be slightly related, but my former roommate was a +400 pound guy, but he only is interesting in thinner women; he's said he finds fat women ugly. Anyway, I bring this up because he wouldn't join a "fat dating site", Radnen.

Yeah, yeah. But it seems kinda one sided, no? I might be bold enough to call that mental impairment, this is only seen with the consideration that he seems contradictory. Are thin women interested in him? And who says thin women can't join a "fat" beauty site?

So I guess the real question here is: Can fat people be considered beautiful?

So! If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and we all know beholders have more than one eye, you can begin to see that there will never be an answer to the question. Ergo, an argument either for or against the original claim can never be accomplished because the merit of the warrant is not only too philosophical but unanswerable to say the least. It includes too many judgments and considerations, it can become offensive, it easily becomes contradictory, or it can grow to be too confusing.

The only one answer any one can make in this thread is: They do have the right. What are it's implications? Unanswerable.

Edit: Love your observation Kaempfer!
If these people are so beautiful then I wonder how deficient they must be in other aspects to 1) identify themselves and what they want in a relationship primarily by their/their partner's appearance and 2) not be able to find equally attractive dates in their area. I mean, I'm real wary of the whole online dating thing in general but this just gives me that doubleplusungood bellyfeel

I don't feel sorry for the people that got expelled though. It's their own fault for joining such a pretentious community.
and for eating so much :D but seriously, I agree.
post=122102
You are all missing the point that the only people who would join this are douchebags, and the only people who would rejoin this site after being booted off are doubly as douchebaggy.

Seriously, have you ever met good looking people? Maybe 1/5 is actually interesting. Maybe a further 1/10 of those people acknowledge how good looking they are. Of those few remaining people, maybe 1/20 can't find someone they want to date in their own communities.

So a bunch of vapid idiots ousted a bunch of other vapid idiots. Seriously, if I was forced to vote for a site like that do you know how many people I would say were good looking? Even if they weren't that good looking because I am not a dickbag?

I vote we put all the people on that site onto an island and let them see if they can't build a beautiful community before it collapsed into anarchy and chaos because they were all looking out for #1.

Honestly Kaempfer I'm not making fun of your general message but it comes off as

I think the attitude of "ALL OF THESE PRETTY PEOPLE ARE SO MEAN" is kind of an ugly attitude to have (and it sort of sounds like the general 'pretty envy' that those same people accuse 'ugly people' of having EVEN THOUGH I KNOW THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU MEAN)! I think it's less of a 'pretty people are dicks' and more of 'this is a pretty petty mindset to have, period'. You know?
People like being a part of something exclusive that other people can't get in, except when they get thrown out. Then it's not fair. Then it's immoral.
it had every right. it is a dating site for 'beautiful' people after all.
if it were just a normal dating site, then we'd have a story on our hands - but it's already very selective and shallow. it's easily debatable whether a fat person is 'beautiful' or not(which i personally find a very stupid question, you can be beautiful no matter how you look) but this site obviously thinks that they are not. they're based on appearances anyway, i can't see many people being too surprised.

to be honest, i think the site is using the word 'beautiful' wrong, it's sort of like a slap in the face to every other individual out there, but nevermind.
the clue, as they say, is in the name

http://www.overweightdate.com/

i think they were on the wrong site
freaky-deekies need love too, y'all.
freaky-deekies need love too.
Guys, this is Marketing 101 here. It's an obvious ploy to get their shitty website attention. They're not even being subtle about it.

Debating this is a complete and utter waste of time, it just means you are falling for the scheme.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
if this is a site for Beautiful People, then everyone on it who voted for people packing on pounds over the holidays should be voted off too. Beauty comes from within ;) clearly they don't have that.
The guys who ran the site were obviously pretty stupid. From another marketing stand point, they just killed a major portion of their business. Unless you're fat, shunned in your community, an internet person, or are just pretty ugly, you won't use a dating site. Fat people were probably a nice income.Amirite? (Wasn't rcholbert and admin?)
Strange site. I'm afraid that I would not meet my type of girl on those sites (Shy and/or docile natured. It helps if they are smaller than me as well.), so on my runs to the book store or to the local park I look for them there. So far, 57 failed relationships started this way, although they never fall into the category of my type. Dating sites are best avoided like the plauge, as the only person your going to find will be a complete stranger whom lives far away. Long distance relationships only work when the couple can see each other in person time to time. The name of this site is really amusing though.
post=122113
Honestly Kaempfer I'm not making fun of your general message but it comes off as

I think the attitude of "ALL OF THESE PRETTY PEOPLE ARE SO MEAN" is kind of an ugly attitude to have (and it sort of sounds like the general 'pretty envy' that those same people accuse 'ugly people' of having EVEN THOUGH I KNOW THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU MEAN)! I think it's less of a 'pretty people are dicks' and more of 'this is a pretty petty mindset to have, period'. You know?

Hahaha that image is great but also:
I don't think pretty people are mean (in general), I just don't they think they are as interesting as regular looking people (in general). I do think that only the bottom of the barrel in terms of personalities are going to this site, though, which is what I was trying to say.

Good looking people are fine. I have good looking friends, I know lots of nice good looking people. What I am saying is that only the worst kind of good looking people (arrogant, shallow imbeciles) are going to both go to this site and also feel like it is their duty to keep anything a few pounds overweight from besmirching it.

p.s. I am captain sexy or anything but I don't think I am ugly enough to have troll rage or anything. You'll also notice that my comments were directed at the people who visit that site, not in general. While 1/5 good looking people might interesting, only maybe 1/3 normal looking people are interesting, so it's not that big a difference. I was only trying to make a point. GET OFF MY DICK MOG JESUS
Pages: first 123 next last