CRITICISM, ANGST, AND YOU

Pages: first prev 12345 last
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
post=122508
And Solitayre. Let's count some stuff up.

It's true there has been a hash of VX games lately, most of the various projects Nessiah is involved with come to mind, but most of the community regulars are still RM2k3 users, and the majority of games being developed "in the community" are RM2k3 games.

A few examples off the top of my head

Chronology of the Last Era
Generica: The Next Generation
Forever's End
Chromotose
Muse
Phantom Legacy
Ascendence
The Colony
Neo Lescia
Complete Chaos
Mystery Man Zero

In particular, almost any project hailed as "awesome" or "great" tend to be RM2k3 games. I'm honestly trying to think of a single XP/VX game from this community that generated any discussion or fanfare last year, and aside from the whole Visions and Voices flap, I can't think of a single one.
You know, I'm not sure... Sometimes I don't do it, (as was the case since the 4th to last screenshot topic until now), but sometimes you go WAY too far.

This is funny because it's actually what you're doing.

Can you define hypocrite?
post=122521

A type of food, sometimes enjoyed with tabasco sauce.
post=122520
post=122508
And Solitayre. Let's count some stuff up.
It's true there has been a hash of VX games lately, most of the various projects Nessiah is involved with come to mind, but most of the community regulars are still RM2k3 users, and the majority of games being developed "in the community" are RM2k3 games.I

A few examples off the top of my head

Chronology of the Last Era
Generica: The Next Generation
Forever's End
Chromotose
Muse
Phantom Legacy
Ascendence
The Colony
Neo Lescia
Complete Chaos

In particular, almost any project hailed as "awesome" or "great" tend to be RM2k3 games. I'm honestly trying to think of a single XP/VX game from this community that generated any discussion or fanfare last year, and aside from the whole Visions and Voices flap, I can't think of a single one.
This is true, but most of those games have been around for a while, or at least from the users who have been around for a while. Many new users who have joined the site to make games have trended towards some of the newer makers.
From that list, all the games are either made by me (or some form of my teammates), Mog, kentona, or generally someone who's been around a while and is an old fogey who sticks with 2k3... but a count-up of the latest games and the 20 latest pages of game updates showed an VX/XP majority. (as I listed earlier.)

also who's counting the colony
i mean, is that even a real game or what
What kind of comment are you supposed to leave on a blog post anyways, Azn? I mean, you said yourself "sounds cool" is a stupid thing to post: there's hardly room for feedback on 90% of blog posts.

The only comments on blog posts that aren't just "hmm interestins" are direct questions about the blog posts. Questions are great. I think we should ask more questions of one another. Hands on interest is always good, right?

But if you don't post something with a lot of meat, people aren't going to dig for more. Dig for more meat? This metaphor is broken.

Anyway, that blog post you linked to is absolutely self-defeating for your argument; your only comment was "hello there", and the blog post itself was pretty much "I can't say anything right now but stay tuned". Nothing wrong with the post itself, but it doesn't leave much to discuss, does it?

You have to remember that the term forum is pretty misleading; its more of a bulletin board (which forums are referred to sometimes I am aware). Think of it terms of real life bulletin boards: If you have something interesting to say, you post a little note with a pushpin. People who are passing by or coming to check the board take a look at who's posted what and they leave their own pushpin notes on the subject. Just because we have the internet and it goes REALLY FAST doesn't mean we should stray too far from the initial concept of a bulletin board.

Once you've got the image of an actual corkboard thing tacked to a wall in your head, imagine trying to have a meaningful discussion using only that. Wrong that is a stupid idea! That is what AIM/MSN/IRC is for; the in depth one-on-one stuff. Use the forum for what a forum is for and the profiles for what they are for and everyone will be happy!

You can't force feedback, and if you try to you certainly can't force good feedback.

edit: jesus there were like 100 posts since I started this one
This is the part of the topic where it's out of control at top speed.

I hop on top of it, peel off the the metallic roof, and pry Nightblade, Azn, and Lennon off of each other (who are too busy fighting to main control of the wheel) and with the three of them under my arms, I grab on to the rope ladder of the descending escape helicopter with my teeth, before this topic goes barreling into the City Dump, lands upside down, spins around on its top, and therefore bursts into flames.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=122520

The hell is a "flap" in this context?
You can't force feedback, and if you try to you certainly can't force good feedback.

It would have been a good idea if I had just posted that. Actually no, then I wouldn't have had so much fun.

On second thought, how about we ask Duval Aznchipmunk?
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Flap: (noun)
Slang.
a. a state of nervous excitement, commotion, or disorganization.
b. an emergency situation.
c. scandal; trouble.

For context, this thread will hereafter be referred to as the "Saga Mara Talon flap."
In regards to the rm2k3 vs XP/VX numbers, what does this mean? rm2k3 elders moving out or something? I hardly see the original point behind that side debate.

edit: also The Colony confirmed for 2010 misao winner
@AznChipmunk from 1000 posts back: The bright side of someone podcasting that your game sucks is the free promotion. Only the best and the worst games interest people enough to get played, and if I heard someone going out of their way to say a game was the worst ever, I'd play it to see why.

A damning podcast would've said your game was mediocre.
post=122525
This is the part of the topic where it's out of control at top speed.

I hop on top of it, peel off the the metallic roof, and pry Nightblade, Azn, and Lennon off of each other (who are too busy fighting to main control of the wheel) and with the three of them under my arms, I grab on to the rope ladder of the descending escape helicopter with my teeth, before this topic goes barreling into the City Dump, lands upside down, spins around on its top, and therefore bursts into flames.

That was epic.
Kaempfer, the comment I made on the blog post was supposed to be ironic because I'm part of the team working on the game. You can't really expect me to give feedback on my own stuff. If Defective Detective wanted to ask me questions he knows where to post otherwise.
Maybe this is a better example. http://rpgmaker.net/games/1065/blog/1975/
Remember, not all blog posts are stuff that shows off stuff, so "sounds cool" wouldn't be an appropriate response. This is a blog post where Lennon asked users which type of release they preferred. After only two comments (In fact, my comment is only one word because I had previously discussed the release schedule with Lennon elsewhere.) Lennon noted that "Since it seems no one else is going to share their thoughts, I guess I'll be going with the episodic route. "

I mean, people can say "looks cool." But they can say why they think it looks cool at least. I mean, when I posted screenshots of Muse at GW a long time ago all I got was basically "it looks cool." I mean. I got that. That was the point. I KNOW it looks cool (although not trying to be arrogant.) I would rather have heard stuff like the stuff WIP suggested to me: extended the inventory menu as well as designing a map. And after I designed a map, he even suggested further that I should split the map into different floors. I added floors and even a flashing room to represent current location. It wasn't a super large amount of effort to suggest these things to me, but it was quite helpful and I was pleased with the end result.

And you can't say forums are a wrong and stupid idea for indepth discussion. There is a lot of good stuff in G&T.

post=122524

I felt like this was a bit disconnected from what you were saying before. There is a split between the forums and gameprofiles. You can say the forums are pretty much those bulletinboards, but gamepages aren't. Gamepages are like a performance or a show--with places for feedback. Kind of like how films have film reviews and whatnot. There isn't any place for feedback on the forums, but I am saying members really need to encourage better feedback on the gamepages.
I stated several times you can't force good feedback--but you can encourage it, as well as encourage more activity on blogs and whatnot.

Also, gamepages = gameprofiles same thing please do not call me out on this :(.

EDIT:
post=122530
@AznChipmunk from 1000 posts back: The bright side of someone podcasting that your game sucks is the free promotion. Only the best and the worst games interest people enough to get played, and if I heard someone going out of their way to say a game was the worst ever, I'd play it to see why.

A damning podcast would've said your game was mediocre.
This is true but not really the point! =P Also I feel that at that point, people who were actually wanting to play my game would've already played it really.

edit:
post=122527
On second thought, how about we ask Duval Aznchipmunk?
I don't know what Duval is and I don't know what this means.

post=122529
In regards to the rm2k3 vs XP/VX numbers, what does this mean? rm2k3 elders moving out or something? I hardly see the original point behind that side debate.

edit: also The Colony confirmed for 2010 misao winner
This was just me showing how recently, there are more XP/VX games from newew users.

also, the colony can't win any misaos in 2010
I don't know what Duval is and I don't know what this means.

I am not naming any names, but some of you people are on my shit list.

This has gone on long enough.
Pages: first prev 12345 last