TOP TEN TOPIC: SPORTS

Pages: 1
Sports! Everybody's favorite replacement for wars and skirmishes since the Bronze Age! This week's topic will explore sports that you enjoy participating in and/or watching. (Poker is not a sport)

So, dust off your keyboard and list off your...

..:: Top 10 List of Favorite Sports ::..

(Wikipedia to my rescue again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

10. Mixed-Martial Arts competitions
On some rare occasions, shows like UFC can be incredibly fun to watch. I just hate all the grappling and wrestling that's going on right now (it's boring). Bring on the kicks and punches, I say!

9. Basketball
Once the sport of old men, invented by an old Canadian. Fun to play, fun to watch, can be somewhat intense, but I never got into it like other "mainstream" sports.

8. Curling
Yeah, I like curling. Probably because I grew in Saskatchewan. I can't help it.

7. Tennis
I never really played tennis (outside of gym class) but I still really like watching the sport. It's just...fun. Can't really explain it.

6. Track & Field
Here I'm talking about races like the 100m dash, 200m dash and 400m dash. I can still recite my PBs off the top of my head: 11.52s, 24.17s, 54.55s. Hardly olympian. Also, I quite like Long Jump and Shot Put. (6.20m, 11.73m)

5. Golf
Yeah, I'm getting old. I'm starting to like golf. I'm even starting to like watching golf. *shudder*. I never thought I would like it, but here I am.

4. Soccer
Soccer is a great sport. Lots of teamwork, spetacular footwork, plenty of athleticism. It just lacks in intensity. It's pretty fun to play, too. What I don't understand is why a lightly brushing another player's arm would send that player sprawling onto the field screaming in agony. Soccer players must have Wolverine-like recovery though - after their apparent near-death experiences, these players will come back to play the rest of the game.

3. Volleyball
The sport that everyone generallly likes. Seriously, it seems that the worst reaction you can get out of anyone if you ask about this sport is "meh." Nobody really hates it. I quite like it. Very twitchy.

2. Canadian Football
We've had this discussion before, but I feel that Canadian Football > American Football for the following reasons: longer field, wider field, fewer downs, Saskatchewan Roughtriders. Really, that last point should be enough.

1. Hockey
The coolest game on earth. No other sport on earth has the speed, skill, finesse, strength, teamplay, endurance and intensity as hockey. Hockey is a god among sports. You have to be strong, fast, agile, tough, and smart to play hockey well. You also need some extreme anaerobic endurance (just trust me on this one - there's a reason why shifts are only about 45 seconds long).

Previous Top Ten Topics:
Week 14: Top 10 Favorite Books (Fiction)
Week 13: Top 10 Favorite Xbox Games
Week 12: Top 10 Favorite Christmas Gifts
Week 11: Top 10 Favorite Movies of 2007
Week 10: Top 10 Favorite Nintendo DS Games
Week 9: Top 10 Favorite Gamecube Games
Week 8: Top 10 Favorite Playstation Games
Week 7: Top 10 Favorite Movies
Week 6: Top 10 Favorite PC Games
Week 5: Top 10 Favorite NES Games
Week 4: Top 10 Favorite Comic Strips
Week 3: Top 10 Favorite TV Shows
Week 2: Top 10 Favorite N64 games
Week 1: Top 10 Favorite SNES games
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I like watching basketball and the NFL. I love some of the cool replay stuff they have for the NFL. It's my favorite part. The (over) analysis.
10. Soccer.
9. Golf.
8. tennis.
7. tennis.
6. tennis.
5. tennis.
4. tennis.
3. tennis.
2. tennis.
1. tennis.

Yep. I think i wrote that right.
10. Alpine skiing
Alpine skiing is most exciting to watch to see who makes it to the finish and who doesn't (in slalom anyway). But like in cross-country skiing it's also fun to just watch the seconds roll by. I haven't done a lot of this myself but the little I have done is also great fun.

9. Tennis
Tennis is a fairly recent acquaintance of mine. At least watching. I learned the rules ages ago and played some with one of my friend (The Test Tube Cup it was called) who was playing tennis at the time. Only recently have I discovered it as a spectator sport. It's alright to watch but not all that exciting. What is more exciting is games like Mario Tennis :D

8. Handball
Handball is very much a local sport and has local appreciation. It has the added value of being one of few sports to be commentated in Swedish back in long-time-ago. The only thing I have a hard time with is probably the rules. I'm not entirely sure about them.

7. Bandy
Bandy is like Football on ice! Or that's at least how I see it. It's a bit hard to follow but I find it strangely appealing.

6. Floorball
Floorball is a sport that I'm mostly interested in playing. I've never really enjoyed watching it too much. The field seems a bit too small for watching and you only see a bunch of players. I'm sure that if it got a bit more exposure and was more on TV I'd like watching it a lot more but right now it's more of a sport I like to play a lot.

5. Ski Jumping
Alright Ski Jumping is something I'd never try myself but since it's all about national interest every competition is a must-watch when it comes to that. There's also Nordic Combined that combines the cross-country with the ski jumping. You can probably find that somewhere between 4&5.

4. Cross-country skiing
A sport I actually hate. To do. Some childhood memories has left me scarred and not wanting to step on cross-country skis a whole lot. But the fact is that whenever I've actually done it lately (in the army I did it for example) it was actually great fun. But I'm also a big fan of watching it on TV. Which is probably a bit strange because I'm also a big fan of the non-racing skiing where the performance is only timed. It should be the most boring thing ever but I just like watching the seconds fly by and being excited whether or not the other keeps up. The whole racing skiing seems a bit boring compared to that because you always know who is in the lead...

You can put in the biathlon in here too (biathlon, what a strange word they have in English).

3. Track & Field
Actually this could probably occupy places 3-10 since there's so many disciplines in it. All the runnings, all the throwings and all the jumpings. As a Finn the Javelin Throw is a clear favorite. But I'm also a fan of the -thlons (Deca for men and... uhm... hepta? for women). These events are great fun to watch although I'm pretty shite at them myself.

2. Ice Hockey
Ice Hockey is probably the sport I enjoy watching the most. It's fast paced and something is happening all the time. There's often quite a few spectacular feats in any game as well. The biggest downside I see is the (to me) recent development of stopping play every five minutes for commercial breaks. I want to see a non-top game with period breaks not having to sit through a three-minute break every time the whistle is blown because some network somewhere decides they want to air commercials. It's even crept into the world championship (though there it is only every ten minutes).

Another downside of Ice Hockey is that you need a bit too much equipment to play. The equipment isn't a big deal but I find that the recent year's lack of ice combined with the fact that we don't have any "artificial" or indoor skating places nearby.

1. Football
Football can be boring to watch at times since it's slightly slow moving. But it's one of those great sports that you can watch while you do something else. Then during the last couple of minutes (usually 80 to overtime) things get really exciting so you'll just have to drop everything else. During the rest of the game most of the enjoyment is watching how (usually) one team tries to bash his head against the other team's defense and the other team trying to hold out.

And complaining about offside and referees is always fun.

Football also has the added advantage of not only being very fun to play but also very easy to just "pick up and play". All you need is a ball and you can play.
6. US Football
I have a small interest in US football because I played it in High School and because Madden games are pretty good. It's a really complex sport and I find the strategies really interesting. I never play it anymore; not even touch games with friends or anything. Whenever I'm at a sportsbar, though, I take genuine interest in the game. I guess my favorite team is the Packers, because I'm from Wisconsin and because they won the Superbowl back when I played football, but I could honestly care less.

5. Soccer / Real Football
I don't follow competitions, but I think soccer is extremely fun to play. I'm pretty good for an amateur; whenever a group of random people (such as friends that don't play soccer but are reasonably athletic) get together, I am almost always the best.

4. Volleyball
Volleyball is just way too awesome. I never watch this sport either, but it's really fun to play.

3. Frisbee
Nobody here likes frisbee? I love both Ultimate and Vanilla varieties.

2. Running
My favorite serious sport is the old-fashioned footrace. Whether a sprint or a distance run, I'm game. I always win. I jog pretty often to stay in shape.

1. Badminton
Badminton is just WAY too awesome to even describe with words.

Other than these sports, I am always willing to take part in some casual athletic event because I am a reasonably athletic person. I really have no interest in following sports, though, and the only game I think is interesting to watch is US football because it's such an intricate game.
2. Soccer
1. Racing on foot
...And not even track. Screw the training and the 50m dash. I just like racing people as they'll accept my challenges.

...So far only two who have beat me and who I haven't beaten back. I WILL have my revenge though..
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
1. Basketball

I'm a huge fan of the NBA. I used to have entire team rosters memorized, right down to jersey numbers, player's height and weight, etc. I still think the best overall athletes play professional basketball - hockey is the only other sport that comes close. I started playing basketball pretty regulary in middle school and that spurned my love for it - I used to go down to the ghetto and play street ball with the homeys. (I was known as the white Rodman; I'd get all sorts of rebounds but they never wanted to let me shoot!). I like the management aspect of the NBA almost as much as I love watching a thrilling playoff series - sometimes in NBA 2K games I'll just sit back and play virtual general manager for hours on end.

Favorite team(s): Boston Celtics (Larry Bird was awesome), Orlando Magic (Penny Hardaway was my favorite player in the 90's)

2. U.S. Football

The NFL is a somewhat distant second to the NBA, and I don't try to keep tabs on it as much. I really like the systems and setup, however, contrary to kentona's belief, I think the field is too big. I like to play NFL 2K or Madden sometimes just for franchise mode - I'm addicted! But the game is a lot slower pace than it should be. I used to play quite a bit growing up as well. I was a pretty devastating fullback in casual games. Hard to tackle!

Favorite team(s): Green Bay Packers (even though they lost tonight), New Orleans Saints (hard not to like them after living in N'awlins)

3. Baseball

Lets get one thing clear: baseball is the most boring "mainstream" sport there is to watch. It's a very slow paced game with a lot of strategery going on. My entire family loves baseball, but I can barely stand watching it. I do enjoy playing it though I'm not very good anymore. I swing for the fences which causes me to strikeout a bit too often, and when I'm not doing that I'm trying to bat left-handed, a gift I lost long ago. Again, I enjoy the general manager aspects of the game as well.

Favorite teams: Seattle Mariners, Chicago Cubs (everyone's favorite loveable losers).

4-10 Golf, Tennis, Soccer, Hockey, Volleyball, Track & Field, Wrestling.

I never invested much time in any of these sports, but I follow them casually. I actually played in a charity golf tournament in Absecon, NJ, for the First Tee. It went something like you would have seen in Happy Gilmore. I only watched Tennis because Martina Hingis was hot. Soccer and hockey may as well be the same thing. Volleyball is fun but not past middle school. No one cares about track & field during non-olympic years. Wresting is mildy entertaining but ultimately pointless, especially the scripted variety.
You know, when considering sports to list, baseball never even crossed my mind. Like, at all. I even thought of frisbee and alpine skiing, but not baseball.

Testament to how much I do not care for baseball.

@holb: btw, the best overall atheletes are not basketball players. I don't know the best, but both hockey and lacrosse require more from their players.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=kentona link=topic=572.msg7845#msg7845 date=1200934818
@holb: btw, the best overall atheletes are not basketball players. I don't know the best, but both hockey and lacrosse require more from their players.
Yeah, too bad they require less brains.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I don't like enough sports to list a top ten, but I'll tell you what I do like.

Baseball
Basketball
Hockey
MMA
Soccer
Figure Skating

And that's about it.
Pages: 1