GAME MAKER: RANDOM GLOBAL VARIABLES

Pages: 1
Alright, I've been cracking down and working on my RMVX game and I decided to work on a side-project in game maker that is based around variables controlling an empire in space (Simplified of course).
So here is what I need: How to use random variables in game maker in a manner closer to C++ or to how rpg maker calculates them.
In GML floor(random(n)) returns an integer between 0 and n-1 inclusive, which is equivalent to rand() % n in C/C++ and rand(n) in ruby (which as I understand is what VX scripting is done in, though I have no personal experience with RM)

but something tells me that doesn't answer all of your question, if not just elaborate
This will help a bit, but what I need is similar to this code bellow:
{ int Code = randvar //# A stand in for the calling code I use in C++
if (Code=34) { //# Run So and So here}
if (Code=33) { //# Run diferent process}
else
end }

Yes, I know that I am using some strange coding, mainly due to the fact that I have not done much coding with C++ in over a year now. But I wish to simulate this in GML, so I hope that you guys can help me out with this.
Ah, I gotcha. What you want is a switch statement:

http://www.gmlscripts.com/gml/switch_statement

GML uses the same syntax as C/C++ in this case. In fact using a switch in any language to check the value of the same variable multiple times is faster than using a bunch of if statements so you should get into the habit of doing it :D
Pages: 1