NEW PROJECT WITH RM2K/2K3?

Pages: first 123456 next last
I'm pretty new to the Rpg maker scene so I may be asking the obvious here:

Is it feasible to create a new game with this old engine when there are newer versions out there? Is there anyone partial to the blocky look of the old engine or is the general consensus in favor of the newer XP/VX variants?

I'm not really leaning towards either side yet, opinions appreciated
There exists a strong base of people who continue to use Rm2k3 despite the existence of newer engines (I am among them). If you want to do anything complex with extra systems, it's probably worth your time to learn/borrow the scripts and use XP/VX. If you're just making a simple project, if you prefer the built-in sideview DBS and retro graphic style, and if you are familiar with the old engine, it's just as legitimate to use that.

Edit: Keep in mind, if you run into any major 2k3 roadblocks (e.g. utter failure of link to event battle commands) you'll get no sympathy from the VX crowd.
I don't care how or what a game was made in/with, as long as it is GOOD.
I like rm2k3 game better. It's not only feasible but recommended (by me).
I prefer VX because of freedom (tho mapping might be an issue) and because of this: http://pockethouse.com/
If it weren't for VX's blockiness, I would have gladly left rm2k3 for it.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=126470
If it weren't for the VX RTP's blockiness, I would have gladly left rm2k3 for it.

EDIT:

so blocky
post=126471
post=126470
If it weren't for the VX RTP's blockiness, I would have gladly left rm2k3 for it.
EDIT:

so blocky

Night Of Marian is literally the only non-blocky VX project I've EVER seen.

That does look impressive, however the graphics whore inside me still sees the blocky edges. Any way to slap on some curves? Sexy but still a little bit blocky. It's slocky :3
@SGCn

geez man, that's no more blocky than rm2k3. Don't be nitpicky.
A chipset based on the blocky RTP is... BLOCKY!? HOLY SHIT.
post=126481
@SGCn

geez man, that's no more blocky than rm2k3. Don't be nitpicky.

The graphics whore inside me is strong.

Seriously, Ill Will is one of the more prettier VX titles out there. The rest are just... you know.
I usually just use RM2K it's not perfect but I like the battle system a lot more then 2K3. I actually bought XP but I never could get into it.
Ill Will is still blocky, but it's the best looking VX game I've seen.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I am fairly against new games made with RM2k/3 as I don't see it offering any real benefits. VX might be the newest, but it's RTP and map engine definitely rub me the wrong way. XP is better in this overall aspect and to see some good usage of it see Anaryu's stuff.
Tile-based mapping blocky, you say!? Poppycock.
I don't really care either way. I can be thoroughly entertained by any game, with any engine, as long as its enjoyable. I myself have no bias towards what engine a game is made with. However, I'd say XP is the best choice when it comes to overall options over what type of game you want to make.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
VX is actually usable in terms of using the program to make a game, but XP is pretty good at making nice maps!

2k3 should not be used anymore. It is not free. It is not worth the pain.

Seriously, SELF-SWITCHES I mean holy shit.

EDIT4: Get this, guys. In VXP you can copy and paste a chest, change the item and then keep pastin'. No need to double-check switches or anything. Also, you can actually use a decent amount of colors! And alpha levels! And make your game not look like every other game!
post=126545
And make your game not look like every other game!

You're a funny man, Craze.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
If you PUT EFFORT INTO IT

just because most of the userbase sucks (just like 2k3) doesn't mean it doesn't have infinity times the potential of 2k3
Pages: first 123456 next last