NEW PROJECT WITH RM2K/2K3?

post=126663
Can be modified extensively, Ness, thus changing nearly every part of your game logic.
But why stop there?

I think we should all drop these easy-peasy makers and start working in something more robust, yet learnable, like XNA Game Studio.
I'm fine with my easy peasy makers, man. My passion for the hobby encompasses up to XP (SUPER SECRET PROJECT, guys), and a little bit of VX, but I'm not willing to invest the time and patience to learn anything much more complicated. A different program like MUGEN or something, sure, but not any more complicated.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
C++ all the way bros
pffffttt. Object oriented programming is for pussies. It's C or nothing.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=126645
This has been fun guys! I can't wait until 3 months from now when we can argue this all over again!

Every time, more users will switch to VXP. Or else.
post=126672
post=126645
This has been fun guys! I can't wait until 3 months from now when we can argue this all over again!
Every time, more users will switch to VXP. Or else.

or else you'll nag them to death

But seriously. The best thing you can do to get more people to use the program you want is to make great games with it. I'm actually making a project with XP myself, but I've seen very few impressive games with XP or VX, and I'm notoriously easy to please. As more projects are made, hopefully we'll see cooler stuff in the future.

But yeah, I agree with kentona. This is a very repetitive conversation.
More options == more ways to bog down a project!

At least, that's been my personal experience when working on projects (not specifically RM - I mean all projects, from school assignments, to personal projects to mods for games etc etc..).

When given a limited or small scope, I am much less likely to become paralyzed with Too-Many-Choices-itis. (I think this is an observable psychological event. it probably has a real name, too)

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that one of the reasons why we don't see many great completed VX games might be due to the sheer customizability of it prevents games from ever being finished.
It's like Last Scenario and Exit Fate don't exist
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I can't help but notice every time this topic comes up the same points are brought up by the same people and the thread always comes to the same
(non-)conclusion.

in the end, people who want to use one Maker will use that maker, people who want to use another one will use another one. I fail to see how yelling at each other for three pages helps the original poster at all.

For the OP, a brief breakdown of each maker.

RM2k: Very antiquated, unable to do anything complicated. Uses a functional first-person, turn-based battle system focused mostly on text. Forwards compatible with RM2k3. The main perk of this engine is the huge number of resources available for it.

RM2k3: Very similar to RM2k, the main difference is it uses a side-view active battle system akin to most Final Fantasy games. The battle system in this program is very buggy/poorly programmed and suffers a great many problems, so it is generally not recommended. Any resources that work for RM2k will work for it as well.

RMXP: One of the newer Makers, RMXP allows custom scripting if you know Ruby, opening up a huge number of options; if you know how to code it, you can make the game do almost anything you want. This program also has the most powerful map editor of all the makers. It also switches back to a first-person turn-based battle system, but doesn't use as much text as RM2k. However, resources for it are scarce compared to the other engines.

RMVX: A good maker for beginners. RMVX has most of the functionality of XP with very flexible scripting options, such as note boxes. A good choice for a game which will use heavy scripting. It's battle system is first-person and turn-based by default, but many options exist for different types of battle systems. It also runs at a higher frame rate than XP. However, it's map editor is less powerful than XP's.

My conclusion: if you're good at scripting, use VX, if not, XP might be a better choice.
Solitayre
However, resources for it are scarce compared to the other engines.

issue, see Demon Tower
post=126681
RM2k, RM2k3, RMXP, RMVX

You forgot RPG Maker 95 and 98... If anyone still uses those XD
post=126663
Can be modified extensively, Ness, thus changing nearly every part of your game logic.

And yet collaborations of many scripters to fix the default scripts have failed, I wonder why this is...and the only close one was Seph's SDK which is pretty much the base for VX.

*I remember this was being talked about in freebird games, I remember vgvgf being one of them who pretty well known for ARGSS in RM* Side anyway*
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I dunno, I think a single person (Yanfly) has done a great job of basically rewriting VX. That said, YF cares about gameplay instead of stupid acronyms and elitist script usage.
I can't help but notice every time this topic comes up the same points are brought up by the same people and the thread always comes to the same (non-)conclusion.

Shut up, this is like a tradition in RMN. ):<
There are a bunch of issues with the newer makers I have that generally keeps me away from getting serious in them. But newer users or new projects should generally go with the latest maker. They have more 'potential' apparently. How much potential depends on the individual I think really.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Can you elaborate, Skie? I'm curious.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=126693
I dunno, I think a single person (Yanfly) has done a great job of basically rewriting VX. That said, YF cares about gameplay instead of stupid acronyms and elitist script usage.

Can someone explain to me what exactly Yanfly has done? I went on his site (Pockethouse, right?) and browsed around and couldn't really understand if he'd written a CBS or if other scripts would be compatible with it or what. Some of it was tl;dr but some of it seemed genuinely unclear. I know I am behind the eightball here.
post=126700
Can you elaborate, Skie? I'm curious.

Eh, it's the same general complaints.

RMXP is inherently slow, and I can't script. So any potential the maker may have is lost on me. However the the mapping engine is excellent imo.

RMVX has a terrible mapping engine, no script fix will save the fact that mapping is retarded in VX. However the database is excellent. Not a personal complaint, but they took away a lot of stuff from 2k3. Of course YF seems to have returned most of that stuff, so moot point. Finally, once again, I can't script. I have ideas. Ideas that don't jive with public scripts generally. Since I can't script, I find that the point of using the newer makers is greatly diminished.

It's like having a rocket launcher with no rockets! Sure, you can hit someone with the launcher, but that's not the best way to use it! *terrible analogy*

Besides, 2k3 works for my purposes at the moment. I may consider moving up once I finish my work there.