NEW PROJECT WITH RM2K/2K3?

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=126701
post=126693
I dunno, I think a single person (Yanfly) has done a great job of basically rewriting VX. That said, YF cares about gameplay instead of stupid acronyms and elitist script usage.
Can someone explain to me what exactly Yanfly has done? I went on his site (Pockethouse, right?) and browsed around and couldn't really understand if he'd written a CBS or if other scripts would be compatible with it or what. Some of it was tl;dr but some of it seemed genuinely unclear. I know I am behind the eightball here.

YF has done everything and then some. If you can't understand his easy-to-read/decipher manuals (example), there is little hope for you.

tl;dr (wut): YF makes easily utilized awesomeness.
How to speed up XP a bit:
$Graphics.frame_rate = 60

(too bad everything assumes its 40 when calculating what to do on graphics updates)
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
post=126706
post=126700
Can you elaborate, Skie? I'm curious.
Eh, it's the same general complaints.

RMXP is inherently slow, and I can't script. So any potential the maker may have is lost on me. However the the mapping engine is excellent imo.

RMVX has a terrible mapping engine, no script fix will save the fact that mapping is retarded in VX. However the database is excellent. Not a personal complaint, but they took away a lot of stuff from 2k3. Of course YF seems to have returned most of that stuff, so moot point. Finally, once again, I can't script. I have ideas. Ideas that don't jive with public scripts generally. Since I can't script, I find that the point of using the newer makers is greatly diminished.

It's like having a rocket launcher with no rockets! Sure, you can hit someone with the launcher, but that's not the best way to use it! *terrible analogy*

Besides, 2k3 works for my purposes at the moment. I may consider moving up once I finish my work there.

I felt largely the same way for a while, but after moving onto XP it's hard to imagine going back.

Not that I ever actually make anything.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
And that I don't like using public scripts much, which means that I have to figure out how to script in everything I want. I prefer the feeling of doing things myself rather than thinking "Oh, x people made the scripts and I just put them together. Game made!". I know it's not quite like that, but for me I'd rather either have the script made exclusively for my project, or made by me.

RMXP/VX have nice potential though, but it'd be great if they didn't put some faults in each release as well.

We're not all programmers, nor are we all like *Oh this is easy I can learn how to script in 2 days!*.

That said, 2k3 has a bunch of faults as well, it's just more comfortable to use since that (and 2k) are what I had to work with for a while, so I pretty much know what I can and can't do. If I had an idea, I'd likely know how to do it in 2k3 but be unsure how to go about it in XP/VX.

A matter of getting used to the program I guess. I have a project in waiting for VX but since I had someone working on the battle system script for me, I decided to put it off and do a simple side project in 2k3.
Maybe I'll finally write that series of articles on The Trials and Tribulations of an RM2k3 User Moving On To RMVX. (spoiler: I would be that RM2k3 user)
How to do it:

"Don't be a wussy"
\
post=126720
If I had an idea, I'd likely know how to do it in 2k3 but be unsure how to go about it in XP/VX.

Same goes for me as well, but the other way around. I came pretty late to the RM business. I started out with XP. When I tried out 2k3, I was completely and utterly lost...
I honestly didn't know what to do at first and I just made random events to see what would happen. But, if you start using an engine a little longer, you'll get used to it. I can use 2k3, XP, and VX now (and 2k I guess).
rpg maker is still rpg maker this is such a nothing discussion
Craze
No, geo, VXP is much more powerful. 2k/3 is a template, unless you want to make tedious picture menus that send you to the default menu. The potential at your disposal - even if you don't know how to script (hey guys, let's look at YF/KGC/Mithran/modern_algebra) - is insane+ compared to 2k/3.
i didn't say anything about that but this is about relativity

both are still eternally shitty compared to ground-up or using a fully-fledged engine
Craze
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Sorry Craze but both Exit Fate and Last Scenario have pretty shitty engines. Probably shouldn't try to use that in a discussion about engines.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=126706
post=126700
Can you elaborate, Skie? I'm curious.
Eh, it's the same general complaints.

RMXP is inherently slow, and I can't script. So any potential the maker may have is lost on me. However the the mapping engine is excellent imo.

RMVX has a terrible mapping engine, no script fix will save the fact that mapping is retarded in VX. However the database is excellent. Not a personal complaint, but they took away a lot of stuff from 2k3. Of course YF seems to have returned most of that stuff, so moot point. Finally, once again, I can't script. I have ideas. Ideas that don't jive with public scripts generally. Since I can't script, I find that the point of using the newer makers is greatly diminished.

It's like having a rocket launcher with no rockets! Sure, you can hit someone with the launcher, but that's not the best way to use it! *terrible analogy*

Besides, 2k3 works for my purposes at the moment. I may consider moving up once I finish my work there.

I can't really script and I love the newer makers. The mapping in VX is nowhere near that bad! It's not ideal but I wouldn't use the words "terrible" or "retarded"! Mapping has never been a priority for me. But even for a non scripter, being able to find the line that controls player evasion rate and making it a function of Agility, thus finally balancing Agility (which is far too strong in rm2k3 and far too weak in VX and XP by default) in one stroke is amazing functionality that rm2k3 in no way offers. And that's just one analogy. Besides there are other people's scripts (the mechanics ones) that are so open-ended that using them creatively is just as gratifying as eventing. Using other people's scripts, the better ones anyway, isn't just plug-and-playing other people's graphics/music and using them. Scripts are TOOLS that allow you to improve your game in a variety of ways.

And then there's the fact that RMVX is better at EVENTING than 2k3.

post=126716
@Max: Please get http://www.pockethouse.com/wiki/index.php?title=Core_Fixes_and_Updates_(YEZ) if you haven't already.

Holy shit enterbrain really fucked up a lot of important things.
RM2K and RM2K3 are better for:

1) ease of use - as in not having to deal with scripting. I would suggest it for all beginners.

2) oldschool nes type RPGs. There are a lot of them here, (see Generica, Dragon Fantasy), and I just happen to be making one now.

3) resources for those who are artistically challenged like myself. And lazy. There are just a whole lot more for these engines, although XP resources have been steadily growing over the years. I refuse to use VX until the charasets stop looking like overweight RM95 people.
Craze
Ease of use? HAHAHAHAHAHAH. 2k3 is rusty and you have to kick it to make it do anything worthwhile. Scripting makes life EASIER.

post=128348
3) resources for those who are artistically challenged like myself. And lazy. There are just a whole lot more for these engines, although XP resources have been steadily growing over the years. I refuse to use VX until the charasets stop looking like overweight RM95 people.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1410/
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1212/
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I think "ease of use" = no programming or thought required.
post=128352
Ease of use? HAHAHAHAHAHAH. 2k3 is rusty and you have to kick it to make it do anything worthwhile. Scripting makes life EASIER.

post=128348

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1410/
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1212/

So what? It's just REFMAP and RTP.

Okay, so the RTP is cool, but the REFMAP is pretty much the Rudra of VX.
Ease of use = copy+pasting battle events over and over again then you forget some and then you get TORG REFUSES TO BE EJECTED
Craze
post=128355
So what? It's just REFMAP and RTP.

Okay, so the RTP is cool, but the REFMAP is pretty much the Rudra of VX.

But it's not OVERWEIGHT RM95 PEOPLE is the point.

Also, what GRS said.