NEW PROJECT WITH RM2K/2K3?

post=128356
Ease of use = copy+pasting battle events over and over again then you forget some and then you get TORG REFUSES TO BE EJECTED

This is why you create a base monster group with all global battle events laid out and then just copy+paste+replace monsters. :V
I did

Eject was added later :(

(plus you'd better hope none of those c&p'd events has a bug *)

again
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=128367
post=128356
Ease of use = copy+pasting battle events over and over again then you forget some and then you get TORG REFUSES TO BE EJECTED
This is why you create a base monster group with all global battle events laid out and then just copy+paste+replace monsters. :V

You really shouldn't have to inflict this pain upon yourself just to make a decent game.
CRUSH THEM TORG DO AS I SAY
Personally I don't see any reason to use the old systems. Anything they can do the newer ones can do the same,or even better.

RM2K is similar to VX and is easily trumped by it. RM2k3's DBS sucks balls and XP or VX can manage a decent side-view system with scripts.

I don't discriminate though; I play whatever seems decent. Just don't understand the purpose for using the older rpg makers anymore. Someone enlighten me.

KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Just don't understand the purpose for using the older rpg makers anymore. Someone enlighten me.

Familiarity with the interface (for long-time RM users), variety of resources, and in RMVX's case a fundamentally flawed mapping system. Ruby being an intimidating beast to people who've never programmed/scripted before is also a large factor.

Of course, none of these are things that can't be overcome with practice/effort/????, but your mileage will vary.
post=126448
I don't care how or what a game was made in/with, as long as it is GOOD.

this is all you really need to know. the high-powered German game engine I've got can easily be toppled with something made in 30 minutes with GameMaker if you didn't put that much thought into gameplay and just drooled over your toys. This is much much more true with random hobby/indie games made by all of us since the reason anyone tried out a game of ours is that they think it puts gameplay over production value.

Pretty much, you should design a good game, and then I think you'll be fine.

People might complain about the RTP graphics but newsflash: YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE THE SHITTY VX RTP GRAPHICS.

newsflash: SOME OF US CAN'T DRAW AND CAN'T FIND SOMEONE TO DRAW FOR US
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=130247
People might complain about the RTP graphics but newsflash: YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE THE SHITTY VX RTP GRAPHICS.

newsflash: FREE-LICENSE RESOURCES EXIST.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
post=130250
post=130247

newsflash: MANY EASY-TO-FIND RESOURCES TEND TO BE OVERUSED AND SATURATED.

Mac & Blue/REFMAP are awesome.
I'm done. Dead @ the last few replies.

RPGM2k3 is limited, but has a crapload of resources available. I was initially blown by the "every RPG2k3 looks the same argument" because (in my humble opinion) that is completely and utterly false. It does exactly what I need it to do for MMZ and Vanity, so I have no reason to upload those to a new maker.

I haven't tried XP so I can't judge it, but I've been using VX for about two weeks now, and so I far I really like it. The RTP is awful but you don't have to use them obviously, and there are some good resources available (or at least I think I've found some good ones). It's pretty simple to learn and you can find a lot of scripts that can really help you make a fun game.

But yeah, I don't really have a preference. Just give me a good game. I couldn't care less where it was made from.
newsflash: MAN KILLED BY GODZILLA
post=130258
post=130250
post=130247
newsflash: MANY EASY-TO-FIND RESOURCES TEND TO BE OVERUSED AND SATURATED.

Mac & Blue/REFMAP are awesome.

Or just plain crappy in quality. Not being able to draw very well doesn't stop me, but it does factor in for a lot of people. I personally would rather subject you to bad graphics and some ear-raping notes that constitute a song by definition only than to just hit up newgrounds and some repository sites to fill my game with artwork that just doesn't feel personal. It's because I made it and I tried to fit it with my idea that matters to me.

I'm not going to say my way is better than anything since other people don't want to get caught up failing over and over to draw or compose things and end up with a project that takes too much time to complete. Most game engines I've used come with some stock material, for example there's lots of textures models and sound effects that came with Acknex. RTP is a starting point and can matter to some people. It's hard to find a complete set of resources that all mesh artistically- if you just throw in stuff you found with Google you can't expect your game to have a consistent style.
VX doesn't have an ATB default battle system where the battlers are on one side and the enemies are on the other just like in FF6, you would actually have to program it all in or mess with some scripts.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
hahahahahahahahahaha

I cannot believe that you took the time to

hahahahahahahaha
When have you seen me half-ass anything?
I'd do A VX's Touch, but im too lazy so just pretend woman = VX