MEDIAPROFILES WOULD BE RAD AS HELL

Pages: first 123 next last
From the Culture of Crass topic:
What would be cool would be if we could ALSO create Mediaprofiles, just like we can Gameprofiles. You'd create a mediaprofile to showcase your work (music, art, chapsets, etc..) that people can subscribe to. Heck, you could probably try to create a gameprofile for your work right now...if you think it would be accepted.

I know that RMN used to have a resource database (after I nagged WIP for like a month) but it never really did fit with the vision of the site. RMN was about the user generated content but a Resource database was a lot like a collection of rips and whatnot (that was probably done better elsewhere, tbh). However, I think we may have stumbled upon a solution! Mediaprofiles

Like the quote alludes to, a mediaprofile would be like a gameprofile, only for non-game-related production. Things like music, artwork, custom chipsets, etc... could all conceivably go into your own Mediaprofile that you create! It'd probably only take a tweaking of the existing gameprofile logic to make it work.

What do you guys think?

Unrelated Tangent:
The captcha for posting this topic was "sweat but"
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
It would definitely save me time making topics all the time to post junk.
I don't like the idea of it copying the concept of the gameprofile, why not just have it as a comment-able version of the locker? Stuff you upload to the locker you can choose whether or not you want it to be commented on and you can write a neat little description under it. Not sure how we'd go about "streaming" the media so that people can find it all (other than clicking on our names and such).
Ah, yes. The streaming of teh music.

It'll be annoying to have to download the music just to hear it, but how hard is it to implement that on the site?
I didn't mean "streaming" as in streaming the music because it already does that for the lockers. Poor choice of wording on my part. I meant generating views for the files and such.

example on how music streams already work: http://rpgmaker.net/users/Darken/locker/Lonely_Cat.mp3
(yes I made this horrible song ): )
But notifications would be cool

also makerscore.
post=127069
yes I made this horrible song

Not as bad as my music D:
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I think something like this would work a lot better than the forums. Possibly it would be related to the Screenshot Repository?
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
If you can tell me how non-game-related hosting ties into a game-related hosting site, maybe I won't immediately discard this.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Not every developer on this site actually makes games, some of them are composers or artists, all of which is directly related to the process of making games even if they personally aren't directly developing any games.
I don't see how this relates to a resource database, since stuff would be custom right?

Well, if anything, I would like the ability to make locker files hidden from public view. (which stops me from uploading to it sometimes)
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
As long as you stated that the mediaprofiles would have to include stuff that was for free use, it would be game-related.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=127114
Not every developer on this site actually makes games, some of them are composers or artists, all of which is directly related to the process of making games even if they personally aren't directly developing any games.

I only support this if the music/graphics that are being hosted here are for use in (our) games.

damnit someone beat me to it.
post=127113
If you can tell me how non-game-related hosting ties into a game-related hosting site, maybe I won't immediately discard this.

....what is the locker then? And I was expecting it to be game related resources.

Anywho, the idea was a direct response to this:
post=126748
Kentona, may I request a bit of information?

How does one 'give back' if one's time is limited (as my available gaming-time is), and one's skills are not largely in discussion? My three main interests in an RM environment are trying to make the battle engine do things it's not supposed to, without resorting to scripts, similar treatment of various event systems (I'm working on an in-game informational DB for a guy from RRR at the moment...I need to get back to him, actually), and generating sprite recolors/frankensprites of what I can find from the SNES days of Square. I've got a fair number of 2k3-formatted graphics files on one of my boxes as a result of this, and I'd love to be able to share them with the community, but I'm not certain exactly how to go about doing so - while I'll admit there is an 'artistic' forum, what I'm thinking of is something that I don't consider 'artistic' - and which I'm not certain would fit correctly in there.

Most RM game-dev sites I've been to have had a way to upload visual or audio resources for others to use, and displayed those for members and visitors to look over. Perhaps it's my own tunnel vision, but I'm failing to see that here - and considering where I see my skills as sitting, I'm having trouble figuring out how to give back without that. I don't want to -show off-, which is what I get the feeling the artistic forum is for, I just want to -present- what I've done so others can use it.

Any suggestions on this issue?

Do you have any suggestions on this issue?
Resource sections usually kind of suck.
post=127142
Yeah, they do. I thought mediaprofiles could help that by controlling for quality and attracting the kind of person who wants to keep getting better.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=127142

Is that like a RULE, though?
post=127174
post=127142
Is that like a RULE, though?

Pretty much, yes.

The only problem I can think of is that people who make custom resources may not want to share them, (personally I wouldn't). So I don't really like the idea of making stuff free use! People could put a note on resources saying "feel free to use this" though, kind of like DA.
Perhaps just have an option in your locker that allows you to select which images you wish to display to the public (and hence which ones are not), and have them appear in a separate category/tab titled 'Media' in the user profile, which has support for comments and the like from other users?
Though, I support this idea, as it would be useful for (as mentioned previously by Solitayre) artists and music composers who don't make games.
Pages: first 123 next last