ARROW KEY GLITCH

Pages: 1
Lately whenever I've been trying to play RPG maker games (2003, XP, VX, it doesn't matter) the up arrow key acts as though it is pressed down, regardless of whether or not it actually is. As far as I can tell it isn't a keyboard problem. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
If your keyboard is not messed up, have you tried restarting your computer since this first happened? A similar issue was magically corrected for 2k3 after a restart when it happened to me once.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
If you have a joystick, gamepad, or a controller or some sorts attached to the computer, make sure it's calibrated properly and nothing is sitting on it.
The glitch has been happening for a while now, restarting doesn't help. I don't have any problems with any other programs, just RPGmaker, so I doubt it could be something as obvious as joystick...
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
so I doubt it could be something as obvious as joystick...

You would be surprised.
post=128453
so I doubt it could be something as obvious as joystick...
You would be surprised.

Sorry, what I meant what that I've been having this problem for a while now (a few months if I recall) and as far I can tell the only program that have this glitch are RPGmaker (other programs that use the arrow keys are unaffected). I've tried switching out my Keyboard with one I know works, that didn't help and I don't even own a joystick, game-pad, or anything else that would be messing with the input.

Not to say that I'm not grateful for your help, it was a good suggestion, but it would have been one of the first things I checked for.
Sometimes, I get a different variation of this glitch, where when my key is stuck in a direction (UP for eg), I can "unstick" it by pressing the stuck key (UP in this case) either repeatedly or just a couple hard presses.
I'm sorry for bumping an old thread, but this has happened to me too. I haven't played as much as before since I got a new computer, but it's happened to me with two different RPGMaker games now.
In the menu, my up arrow gets stuck and I can "unstick" it by pressing down, but then when I've left the menu to actually start playing, the character runs off, usually to the left. I've tried pressing the different arrow keys or other buttons the game uses, but it doesn't help. I have no idea what's causing this and I'd really love some help.
(And I've read this thread and no, I have no joysticks etc.)
I've had this problem a few times. There's a game I had to quit because of that... I think it's Epsiteria... cause I was in the middle of a loooooooooong puzzle dungeon, far away from saving, and it happened. Also happened to me in other games. But it doesn't happen often with me. I have no joystick though.
Hello,
I just created an account because I have the exact same problem.
The arrow keys go crazy in my RPG Maker 2003 game and I can't control the hero; he is constantly walking to the left side.

I restarted my computer a couple of times - it didn't fix the problem.
I unplugged every GamePad/Controller - it didn't fix the problem.

A few days ago it worked just fine but now I can't play my RPG Maker game anymore. The arrow keys work fine in every application but they don't work in my RPG Maker games. :/
A member here named Cherry had a fix for this, if I remember correctly. It has to do with the way the RPG Maker engine processes command input, and it needs to be reset manually.

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/10970/

The Keyboard fix is found in that topic.

(Here is a direct link:
http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-2704/kbdreset.exe )
Thank you for your help but it didn't work. :(

Wait a second... I just unplugged my Bluetooth-Adapter and now the arrow keys work properly. o_O
I should have thought about this earlier... I plugged in my Bluetooth-Adapter for the first time a few days ago because I wanted to connect a Wii-Mote to my PC. I don't know how this can cause issues in RPG Maker games but now that I removed it everything works fine again.
author=Zachary_Braun
A member here named Cherry had a fix for this, if I remember correctly. It has to do with the way the RPG Maker engine processes command input, and it needs to be reset manually.

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/10970/

The Keyboard fix is found in that topic.

(Here is a direct link:
http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-2704/kbdreset.exe )

Thanks mate, I made an account just to inform you that this actually helped.
Now I can get back to playing Yume Nikki!
Might as well add to this thread by saying I've never had the issue in rm2k3, but it happens all the time on the newer engines. I can unstick the key by rapidly pressing the keys a lot, but that's still pretty annoying. What's better is not letting it happen at all. I can't exactly remember, but I think the issue is when you have two keys down at once. Maybe when you press one direction and then another while keeping another key down all the time? I really can't quite remember. Now days I just ensure I only press one arrow key at a time.
Had a similar issue in MV! The Shift key would register as being held down permanently when I used a gamepad! This would occur loading the game, and it would not trigger events requiring a shift key press, and persists until the shift key is pressed on the keyboard. Has anyone else encountered this?
Pages: 1