THINK IT'S TIME FOR MOVEABLE BATTLE ANIMATED MONSTERS?

Pages: first 123 next last
It has been on my mind for quite sometime this year, I have played RPG maker for years and I was wondering if we will ever see monsters move like the player when in battle mode.

Sure there is the floating creatures that resembles Final Fantasy 4 floaters. I feel maybe it's time for a evolution in this standard. I think RPG maker games would become more fun if the creatures finally have battle animations of their own.

One particular series I saw that has this is called Mavericks I saw on Youtube, but's not posted here in this site I'm afraid or not to my knowledge of. It's a RPG maker 2003 game for the first time, somebody actually went ahead and gave the monsters moving animations in battle.

Btw Mavericks is based on Megaman X if anyone is curious.
But from what I can tell though he greatly modified the game engine since it's not accessible. Which he stated didn't want anyone tickering with it which is understandable.
In RPG Makers before XP, those types of battle systems are made by events.

In RPG Maker VXP, that's done by script. We've been having animated battlers...
I really enjoyed when the remakes of various Dragon Quest games introduced moving monster sprites. It just spices up that old menu-driven battle system that I grew up on.

However, the RPG maker engines don't really support it that well. I know that you can make battle animations mimic this effect though I never bothered.

It is also a lot of work to sprite.
Hmm what if the monster is still, but when it is his turn to attack, his existing attack animations sprites(if any) would be used as a skill or a spell as the script?
It would be alittle strange to see double of the same creature during the creature's move. But it could work.
What if the community got together and worked a DLC for RPG 2000 and beyond and formed a Animation pack add on for the whole RPG maker series, that way it will save game makers alot time and effort.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Bro, you have an Edit button. Use it.
Sorry I'm kinda new at posting in forums in this site. I apologize. Actually trying to figure how to merge my messages and delete my posts.
You can't merge or delete posts here. There is only the edit button.
I don't see a way around this, except for..

CBS! :o
Animated enemies is one of those "nice to have but not terribly important". It'd be a lot of effort for something almost entirely superficial. Animating enemies takes time, effort, and possibly money. Let's shoot for more realistic graphical goals first like more original graphics first!
The last battle in the current MC:Vengeance demo has what some would call an animated monster in it. But basically I made it so that every few turns, the bad guy uses a move that turns on a switch, that makes him transform into an invisible enemy with 999 speed, and inflicts a status effect on the party that makes them stop acting during the time it's up. The invisible enemy uses his attack, and on his next turn transforms back into the boss, and removes the status effect. It's a bit more delayed than I would like it to be, but it's better than showing a battle animation that contains the monster in it, while the monster is still on screen.
edit: magical double posted somehow. o.o
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
This kind of thing is pretty common in some of the CBS floating around for VX, and I've even seen it done in 2k3 (that video that azn chipmunk likes to show people).
What the hell are you going on about, Ramza?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I used to do it the Neophyte way: have enemy attacks all be skills, set them to cover the entire screen, and put part of the battle background in the animation to cover up the enemy.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=129229
Animated enemies is one of those "nice to have but not terribly important". It'd be a lot of effort for something almost entirely superficial. Animating enemies takes time, effort, and possibly money. Let's shoot for more realistic graphical goals first like more original graphics first!

BUT RUDRAS HAS ANIMATED ENEMIES
*edit*
Not gonna try to start that derail
post=129234
The last battle in the current MC:Vengeance demo has what some would call an animated monster in it. But basically I made it so that every few turns, the bad guy uses a move that turns on a switch, that makes him transform into an invisible enemy with 999 speed, and inflicts a status effect on the party that makes them stop acting during the time it's up. The invisible enemy uses his attack, and on his next turn transforms back into the boss, and removes the status effect. It's a bit more delayed than I would like it to be, but it's better than showing a battle animation that contains the monster in it, while the monster is still on screen.

Jesus. Did you really do that?

The easiest way to do it is what craze said. Or just use a more powerful engine!
Hint: use a more powerful engine.
Pages: first 123 next last