ACE ATTORNEY GAMES

Pages: first 12 next last
Okay, so Ace Attorney Investigations - Miles Edgeworth came out fairly recently, and it didn't seem to get its own thread.

What do you all think of the Ace Attorney series? Which games have you played? I'm a big fan of the series. It's a very unusual concept but I don't think I've met a person that has actually played an Ace Attorney game and hasn't liked it.

Uh, so, yeah, discuss!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
The entire series is amazing and everybody should play them.

AAI:ME is very solid, but you'll only get half the jokes if you haven't played the Phoenix Wright games.
Yeah I'm surprised I never played them sooner (Actually no I ain't, i could NEVER find them in any shop, my part of the UK sucks :( )

I'm playing them in order, and am currently up to the last case of two (If it is 4 cases in that one). If anything my only gripe atm is that the investigation sections can take a little too long, and if you forget something from the Investigation section of the case, and it's needed in the Trial, then you can be prone to a little trial and error with evidence.

Best thing I guess is the dialogue, by far. The amount of humour in it brings a good balance to the heavy tone of murder. On that note why is it always murder? Do no other crimes happen in this world? Or does Phoenix just seem to get stuck defending those suspected of murder?
Who doesn't like the Ace Attorney games?

I'm a latecomer to the series having only started playing the games early last year and foolishly beginning with Trials and Tribulations. It's still my favourite in the series, if I had started with the first game I probably would have appreciated it even more so.

Your first time with the AA games is always the best.
post=129580
On that note why is it always murder? Do no other crimes happen in this world? Or does Phoenix just seem to get stuck defending those suspected of murder?

There are 2 non-murder crimes that I can think of off the top of my head, but it all ends in murder any way.

post=129581
Who doesn't like the Ace Attorney games?

I'm a latecomer to the series having only started playing the games early last year and foolishly beginning with Trials and Tribulations.

Yeah, I only started early last year too! I began with JFA though, then at Christmas/on my birthday(which are 6 days apart) I got the other 3, which I speeded through(14 cases in 14 days =P) and then got Miles Edgeworth the day it came to my area. The second game seemed to stand pretty well on its own though(and it made me think that Edgeworth leaving that message and running away like a sook had some actual meaning).

post=129578
The entire series is amazing and everybody should play them.

AAI:ME is very solid, but you'll only get half the jokes if you haven't played the Phoenix Wright games.

I agree. Spotting the cameos was fun.
i love them :)
though i didn'\t really like AAI all that much...none of the characters stuck in my head, and i dont think the murders were done as well as in PW. maybe i just need to replay it though.
was still a good game!
Craze
My one complaint about AAI is (this is fairly universal; not really a spoiler)

that there is ALWAYS something wrong/incorrect about the murder weapon. I guess it's easier than PW, though, where you usually have to FIND the murder weapon.

booble: The murders are less fantastical, yeah, except for the final cases'. I thought that case four's murders were truly horrifying if you thought about them and how they were set up, though.
DE
*click to edit*
I've played 4 of them.

The first one is definitely my favorite - best cases and characters, with less anime idiocy than in the sequels, best music. Miles's case was simply awesome. I have very fond memories of this game, unlike the sequels.

2 was... OK. Fan service level was rising, but it was still resonable. Psyche-lock was a useless addition, and marked the beginning of esoterism/parapsychology intrusion into a pretty normal world of 1. It made me enjoy the game much less than the original. Was this the one with the circus case? Or was it 3? Because that was the worst case of all I've played. Pure garbage.

3 was terrible. Fan service abound, cases were far-fetched and simply not engrossing. Characters... ugh, ANIME SHOCK! I -somehow- got to the last case and quit halfway through. Hasn't picked it up since.

I skipped Apollo Justice after seeing the cast and hobo Phoenix. And reading about the new and better psyche-lock... NOT.

Miles... is a very uneven game. On one hand it is more serious than AA (which i like after 2 and 3), and I must admit i like Miles more than Phoenix, on the other it lacks something. Cases are rather uninspired and there's just too much coincidence in each. Case 2 was very fun, Case 4 not so much (I'm at the beginning of the last one ATM). There's one aspect of the game that drives me nuts... FRANZISKA! I hate that stupid b***h so much it makes me want to turn off my DS every time she opens her mouth; and yet they decided to put her in almost every case. If only the wicked mind of the game's creator's never conceived her...

All in all the series suffers from the same disease pretty much every anime game series does - rampant fan service. There's only so many times I can bear seing the same secondary characters over and over and over again, in each and every episode. Wasn't Wendy Oldbag in ALL games? That's too much.

I wish I stopped at the original, skipped 2, 3, and 4, and picked up Investigations. Oh, and I'm not fan of anime humor, maybe that's why I don't "get" 2-4.
Craze
I think that Dick is the only character in all five AA games; Oldbag is in 3 or 4 of them, though.
post=129634
Oh, and I'm not fan of anime humor, maybe that's why I don't "get" 2-4.
What's anime humour?
I personally liked the wacky humour, the judge made me chuckle on several occasions. Totally agree with you on Franziska though, i can't bear her. Or maybe it's mostly the whip i have a problem with, what is that even about. I'd be bloody pissed if someone was whipping me all the time.
post=129633
My one complaint about AAI is (this is fairly universal; not really a spoiler)

that there is ALWAYS something wrong/incorrect about the murder weapon. I guess it's easier than PW, though, where you usually have to FIND the murder weapon.

I don't think I really saw that theme but I'll take your word for it.

@ DE - I've never really been a fan of anime, but the bizarre characters are part of what made the games for me. I mean, I think my favourite cases were 1-4 and 1-5, but for sure my favorite characters were in 2-X. They had some of the most bizarre animations, and some of the greatest defeat animations( Like
Richard Wellington choking himself and Ini Miney turning her hat into chewing gum
)
Well, actually, I'd say my absolute favourite character is Damon Gant but that's besides the point. I suppose if you can't get the anime-ness then the game probably won't work for you.

Uh I think I had a point somewhere in there... Something about how 1 and 5 have better cases but 2 and 3 have better characters...? I have no idea. x_x

post=129636
I think that Dick is the only character in all five AA games; Oldbag is in 3 or 4 of them, though.

And the Judge!
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Huge fan. I agree with the fact that Oldbag's a horrible character and should not have been in the majority of the games, though (especially as a witness, Jesus Christ fanservice? more like anti-fanservice. ;() Also Maya can go to hell.

Really liked Ace Attorney Investigations; the Dick & Edgeworth team rules. On the other hand I didn't like how Kay was pretty much all over the place in terms of personality, and I thought defending people (What Would Wright Do?) from the very accusatory finger of Shi-Long Lang (and others) when you know they are going to be innocent (Maggey Byrde again wrrrrrryyyyyyy) was pretty lame.

JFA's probably my favourite game; the 3rd case was horrible but the final one more than made up for it. So 80's.

I've probably played every AA game about three-four times, with the exception of AAI (which I will probably replay in a month or so). Thanks to the series I don't regret choosing a DS over a PSP.

Lastly DE what do you mean Franziska drives you nuts? I love Franziska and want to marry her <3 <3 <3

post=129640
Huge fan. I agree with the fact that Oldbag's a horrible character and should not have been in the majority of the games, though

In that aspect she's one of the best characters. Whenever I see her I want to die, sure, but that's the idea and it sort of makes it humorous. I did like in case 5-5 however when
Edgeworth was forced to say thank you to her

Also Maya can go to hell.

How dare you!?!?

On the other hand I didn't like how Kay was pretty much all over the place in terms of personality,

Yeah, Kay was trying REAAAALY hard to be Maya.

Lastly DE what do you mean Franziska drives you nuts? I love Franziska and want to marry her <3 <3 <3

Well, I certainly wouldn't want to marry her, but she is a good character!
DE
*click to edit*
Only a foolishly foolish fool would foolishly whip someone for their foolish foolishness! *cracks whip* -...-

Whipping Gumshoe and Miles all the time, with everyone around turning a blind eye to it, is the kind of humor I'm talking about. There wasn't as much of it in the first game compared to the sequels.
Craze
post=129639
post=129636
And the Judge!

FALSE. It's a different Judge. If you remember case 3-4, Mia and Edgeworth are up against "The" Judge with more hair. However, 5-4 uses the "old" Judge art style - it has to be different guy, since 5-4 is before 3-4 chronologically.
post=129642
Only a foolishly foolish fool would foolishly whip someone for their foolish foolishness! *cracks whip* -...-

Whipping Gumshoe and Miles all the time, with everyone around turning a blind eye to it, is the kind of humor I'm talking about. There wasn't as much of it in the first game compared to the sequels.
I'm fine with that sort of humour so long as it doesn't mess with the plot like it did in 3-3 with Phoenix's false court appearance.

Actually, did any one else notice that most of T&T was based on some sort of ridiculous un-predictable event?

Case 1 Lightning struck a wire, turning it into a potential murder weapon.

Case 3 A guy WON THE LOTTERY and then got killed over it

Case 4 A person jumped off a high bridge into a rapid current and survived(I mean sure she could swim but it was one tall bridge)

Case 5 Lightning struck a bridge on that specific night trapping the murderer and others on that little island.

It was just kinda ridiculous...

EDIT

post=129643
post=129639
post=129636
And the Judge!
FALSE. It's a different Judge. If you remember case 3-4, Mia and Edgeworth are up against "The" Judge with more hair. However, 5-4 uses the "old" Judge art style - it has to be different guy, since 5-4 is before 3-4 chronologically.

I don't get your point here. Both brothers were working at the same time - one didn't replace the other or something. We see this when Edgeworth asks for the hairy overly-Canadian one in 3-5.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
...*whips DE*
post=129643

I do belive the word you were looking for to start this sentence was OBJECTION!

Also DE, the main reason there wasn't as much of it in the first game was due to Franziska not being there... Had to feel for Phoenix after the first case of JFA, knocked unconcious by whipping, why is she even allowed to bring it into the courtroom!?
DE
*click to edit*
I was talking about the type of humor, not Franziska/Gumshoe S&M.
Pages: first 12 next last