BYE

Pages: first 123 next last
Yeah, I guess I'm leaving. For now.

I don't exactly know why, but I lost every bit of motivation and desire to make games around a week ago. I stopped frequenting the community, and put my most popular project on hiatus, eventually taking it off the visible part of the site.

I'm not going to blame one thing in particular, but I feel that every day the community and the point of making games gets more and more redundant and obscure. I feel that I dislike it more too. We discuss the same things over and over again, how nobody cares, why VX is so much better, all while people bicker and start arguments over this nonsense. It makes me want to just forget about releasing a game. In addition, I hardly feel an air of encouragement, it's always people telling others what to do, and why something sucks.

I'm not going to be gone forever... Maybe I'll comeback sometime in the future. Maybe not.
post=130773
I feel that I dislike it more too. We discuss the same things over and over again, how nobody cares, why VX is so much better, all while people bicker and start arguments over this nonsense. It makes me want to just forget about releasing a game.

Why? If anything, these RMN DEBATE ROUND TABLES just make me feel like working on my game rather than talking about how to.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
post=130776
I know exactly what you mean.

Same. I come here out of habit more than anything else. I'd probably just leave the community altogether if there wasn't such a lack of things to do these days.

See ya around.
Hope you do return, you had pretty sensible insight on the boards.
We discuss the same things over and over again, how nobody cares, why VX is so much better, all while people bicker and start arguments over this nonsense. It makes me want to just forget about releasing a game. In addition, I hardly feel an air of encouragement, it's always people telling others what to do, and why something sucks.

I wish you luck and everything, but I really, really, really don't get this sentiment. At all. Where are you getting this from, the what, 3 or 4 at most recent threads about this? I don't get it. I don't get it at all. This attitude isn't a PERVASIVE and CONSTANT overwhelming atmosphere in the community. It's just something that's been brought up recently, and now everyone is claiming to feel it. Where is all of this coming from? Just work on your game. That's all that should matter.

An air of discouragement? I'm sorry, but that's bullshit, man. Your game was Neo Lescia, right? Dude, pretty much every comment regarding that project has nothing but accolades, praise, helpful criticisms, and encouragement. I personally made sure that even if I could offer nothing but a helpful comment, I did that at least. Hell, even on my page, people are wondering when I'll update next because they're looking forward to it (soon, guys!). That's all that should really matter at the end of the day. Your game, and your gamepage (which is a really cool 'castle' like retreat away from the madness and mobs of the forums, if you want to look at it that way)

This whole 'I don't want to be here anymore because the VOCAL, TEMPORARY MINORITY is saying THINGS I DON'T LIKE (which is mostly imagined, like I said, there are VERY LITTLE bickering, arguments, and the such going on, and the whole VX IS BETTER thing is mostly Craze and even then, what the fuck does that have to do with you? Just make your game!)

I dunno man you can do what you want, and I wish you luck in doing so, but this is a cop out, man. I expected better from you. Seriously.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I agree with you on the repetitive arguing part, but that's no reason to quit. As for encouragement, I believe TheRealBrickroad said it best:

TheRealBrickroad
if you're going to devote a huge amount of time and energy to the creation of an RM game, you have to be prepared to stay motivated even if nobody ever, ever plays it. If you can't keep your fire lit in the face of apathy, you're in the wrong place.

If you get caught up in the arguments and pervasive cynicism that is eternally present on the boards, it's easy to become jaded and apathetic. It almost happened to me. But you can also rise above it if you try.

I'd say you shouldn't give up, but no one can decide what you want but you. Either way, good luck to you.
post=130790
Hope you do return, you had pretty sensible insight on the boards.

Thanks.

post=130797
Feld

I knew you would take it worse than most, Feld. That isn't a bad thing either, I personally imagine you as probably my biggest fan on this site. I have to clarify that "The air of discouragement" that I felt wasn't as super-bad as I may have made it seem, and it certainly wasn't about NL. It was about the community of this site. Maybe I just notice bad things more.

You have to remember that I made a promise to you and all the people waiting for NL. That when it did come back out of hiatus, I would have something to show for it, and I will not back down on that promise. I wouldn't take that away from people who may have hoped for it.

I have to thank you greatly for this post, and all the criticism and praise you gave me on NL. You more than anyone else knows how to get me back into gear, how to "show me the light" as corny as that sounds.

You, Aznchipmunk, and some other people are making me consider what the source of my problem actually is... Whether I need a break from RPG making all together, or maybe just the forums? I assure you though that I feel pretty bad both now and in heinsight for the negativity of my post.

For my "fans" and myself, I will try to get over this as soon as possible. I hope you'll stick with me.
(forgive me if there were posts while I'm typing this up)

While I agree with Solitayre's general message, I can't even understand this;

If you get caught up in the arguments and pervasive cynicism that is eternally present on the boards, it's easy to become jaded and apathetic.

What arguments and pervasive cynicism? The arguments and cynicism present in about 4 topics out of the present few hundred? Most of the topics of discussion I see on RMN are excited and encouraging discussion on game ideas, game mechanics, help with coding, upcoming events, and so on. Even the nongame making boards are generally pretty cheery and active and everyone gets along. Most of us have a pretty good rapport with each other.

Do you guys (who were there) forget the community/site that most of originated from? Where people would get marginalized and laughed at for being into game making? Have you guys forgot about that? RMN, this community (and a few others, too!) are communities where game making and game makers are not only welcomed, but flourish and thrive! Sure it could be better; anything could be better, but that takes time too.

Where is this apathy and cynicism? I don't see it!
I find your reasoning for leaving hilariously ironic, especially since you are one of the more contentious types on the forums. And as Mog stated in a (nicer) way, you got heaps of praise for a demo that was not exactly overflowing with content. So yeah, really, I don't buy it.

Also IRC is so much better.
Where is this apathy and cynicism? I don't see it!
I see it as more of a failure on my part to engage the community is positive and constructive endeavors. We have a few people who are jaded, maybe the odd cynical one - though we all can be from time to time. But as a whole I think we are more positive and encouraging than not.

Anywho, breaks are good. It's easy to burn yourself out.
post=130797
Just work on your game. That's all that should matter.

That's what I think. When I get tired of blabla2k3vs.VXblablaapathyblablaharshcommentsblablaetcetc, I just focus on making my game. And being part of an active community always encourages me to work on it.

And I wantz Chromatose.
You'll be back ;)

I go through periods like that all the time. You just need a break. One day you'll suddenly get the urge to start working on your game again, and suddenly your interest in the community will come back as well.

I'm probably one of the biggest slackers when it comes to game making. I'll have a 3 month period where it's all I want to do, and then I'll go through a 9 month period where I won't want anything to do with it. I'm sure all you need is some time away from it, to allow your mind to refresh its ideas.
I'll miss you, you were such a nice guy.
Hope you'll come back~♥
Oh yeah, I remember when I did my faggy disappearing act too. Hoo boy! We all do it at least once.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
people argue about the same inane things because they feel like they're experts on the subject. it's probably good for you, since it is just a huge time sink. you'll probably get more done as well.

then again, taking forums seriously in the first place is kind of lol.
I go through periods like that all the time. You just need a break.

Truth, everyone has a limit for internettery.

Have fun doing other stuff, Lennon :D
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
post=130895
Oh yeah, I remember when I did my faggy disappearing act too. Hoo boy! We all do it at least once.

I don't! Or rather, I don't announce it. I just stop showing up. :P

Best of luck to you, Lennon. May you find that spark again.
post=130915
people argue about the same inane things because they feel like they're experts on the subject. it's probably good for you, since it is just a huge time sink. you'll probably get more done as well.

then again, taking forums seriously in the first place is kind of lol.

Thissss.

Also, I'm not entirely sure why everyone gets a kick out of making threads proclaiming HEY I AM LEAVING only to happily return two weeks later! Is there really a need to clutter up this forum with random whim decisions?
Pages: first 123 next last