THIS IS PROBABLY THE MOST IN-DEPTH RTS EVER

Pages: first 12 next last
Ever heard of Dwarf Fortress? Well, to late, you're reading a topic about it. You can do almost anything, and most of these things involve severely hurting everything around you. Say you don't like the city next to you. Wall 'em up, put a pump in, and fill it with saltwater.Then you can use it as a water supply. You could do the same thing with magma, or just sic Elephants on them. Point being, the game kicks ass. And, not only is this promoting it so I won't feel like a total nerd, it's supposed to be sort of discussion-ish.
Download link: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html
Wiki (essential to learning how to play, and has some stuff you want to look at before playing)
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
Yesterday I went to the site and realized that the last release was in 2008. It's going to be a whole new learning experience to play with the new version when it comes out.

I guess everyone knows about DF by now though. Not that it makes it any less awesome.

I remember a fortress I had that I flooded by accident because I wanted to redirect a lava pool I found. And it redirected into a river which then created a wall of cooled lava. In the end I dug a hole that let the lava out in the wild, which wasn't a good idea either so then somehow I had the water flood the outside which did wonders for my framerate. In the end I redirected both of these things into an endless chasm.

But those water-hurt caverns were places with numerous dead dwarves. And those dwarves just kept going in and dying while trying to retrieve their dead comrades. I had to lock the cursed area away.
You could've probably gone into the area where the water and the magma initially hit and mined the obsidian that was created.And the lava would've been better used redirected into the river, so you could get some of that Obsidian mined.Which graphics set are you using by the way?
I've played Dwarf Fortress recently, but not in the past few weeks. I'm finding it a nightmare to remember the different commands and have found playing it with an Isometric viewer at the side to be a little easier. Never really gotten too far into it, but I remember the last time I started a new game, I created each dwarf to have a specific job, and by a stroke of misfortune my best miner got crushed after digging one tiny square, damn random cave in >.<
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I love this game. I've been aware of it since 2008.
post=131061
You could've probably gone into the area where the water and the magma initially hit and mined the obsidian that was created.And the lava would've been better used redirected into the river, so you could get some of that Obsidian mined.

I redirected that stuff all over the place. Magma moves so slowly I actually mined magma canals AS the lava was flowing behind me occasionally. Essentially by the end I have an underground riddle with small passageways that some have had lava and some not. And I have a huge obsidian deposit at an old riverbed (the river is elsewhere). I haven't played that game in a couple of months now I don't know if I would remember what I was about to do if I started it up again...

Which graphics set are you using by the way?

pfft. Graphics are for wusses. I use set that comes with the game. Actually I just got used to that when I played one of the early versions (before it had z-levels (a.k.a. 3d)) and I just can't see myself moving away from those happyfaces. I have modified it so I have a huge map area though, because that tiny window you get at standard settings just doesn't cut it. (there's a performance hit though, but it's manageable as long as you don't have a river flowing out into the open...)
i read the words 'graphics are for wusses' and immediately assumed this was a dwarf fortress topic
post=131164
i read the words 'graphics are for wusses' and immediately assumed this was a dwarf fortress topic
Ditto.

My friend keeps bugging me to play this game, but I don't play games.
Yeah I wouldn't really recommend playing this game unless you have a weekend dedicated exclusively for it and want to be put into the situation where you'll spend the first eight hours following a step-by-step tutorial.

Dwarf Fortress is not a casual game. Though once you've learned how it goes you can sort of play it casually. I, for example had it on my laptop playing while watching a movie. Only looking at it occasionally when it paused (important stuff happened) or when I decided I wanted to give my miners new orders :D The fort practically ran itself.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Saying it is not a casual game is a hilarious understatement.

Dwarf Fortress is a LIFE DESTROYING game.

I always spend hours and hours (like, dozens of hours) just to be dissatisfied with my fortress or curious about doing it slightly differently even though I essentially always use the same kinds of embark areas (trying to find somewhere that is Cold and preferably coastal but if possible doesn't have an aquifer and has lots of rock and lots of trees). In fact, since I usually embark in neutral/mild areas, my end-game-mechanism is really me getting bored and starting a new fortress since there is no win condition and I never get wiped out. I never even got to the cool advanced stuff like magma and demons and whatnot, or the more advanced aspects of dwarven society. Although piercing aquifers using ice tunnels is pretty cool.

But yeah, if I have a Dwarf Fortress relapse, forget about it. I don't even work on RPG Maker, let alone getting real writing done or talking to people. It just eats my life.

That is just for me though. I think I have some unique problems with the game (like the fact that I need to keep my population low or I wind up getting really frazzled and overwhelmed AND/OR the game runs badly...although this happens on every computer I've played the game on. Since a lot of the game's features require a large population...yeah). I am a little OCD so...anyway yes. Your mileage may vary.

Dwarf Fortress can be incredibly addictive without being even fun. A seemingly impossible trait it shares with Way of the Samurai and uh...crack cocaine.

I still love this game. God damn it.

@Shinan: I tried to play Dwarf Fortress "passively" like that but I found that the game paused WAY too often and I had to check it constantly.

P.S. My D&D campaign setting is slightly Dwarf Fortress based, although a dwarf-based society it is played totally straight rather than hilariously tongue-in-cheek. In fact, although neither is real, at the age of 24 I respect Dwarves WAY more than pansy Elves in any fantasy setting, the exact opposite of how I felt ten years ago.

P.P.S.
I created each dwarf to have a specific job, and by a stroke of misfortune my best miner got crushed after digging one tiny square, damn random cave in >.<

So in other words you were having fun?
Ahaha sorta, thankfully I had less skilled miners around, but losing the best one due to a random hillslide really sucks... ohwell. Need to play it again sometime.
α
α
α
α
α

BEWARE THE CARP
I've been playing since the 2d days. (three years ?) Don't worry about the graphics after six months you'll be able to read that shit like the matrix.
too much effort and time required to learn this shit.
I've been meaning to give this a try for the longest. Maybe I'll give it a go this time.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
post=131165
post=131164
Ditto.

My friend keeps bugging me to play this game, but I don't play games.

*willy wonka and the chocolate factory*

Reporter: "So, Mike, how did the chocolate taste after you found your ticket?"
Mike Teevee: "What? I hate chocolate!"
------
Uncle Joe: "Well it's a good thing you're going to a chocolate factory, you s-"
*charlie's ears are covered up"
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
post=131426
too much effort and time required to learn this shit.
it's not that bad! especially if you start off using a graphic set
post=131455
it's not that bad! especially if you start off using a graphic set

Mayday's graphic pack is the way to go.It has most of the tiles put into it.
Pages: first 12 next last