HOW MANY HOURS SHOULD AN 80 MB GAME BE?

Pages: first 12 next last
Now I have made a game that unfortunately turns out to be 80 MB for a 2 hour game. I am not complete with it, but I want to hear feedbac, I just want it to be worth the download.

For a person to get their download worth, how long should a game be per MB?

Should it be:
(hours*3) = MB

I remember downloading a RPG maker game that was 256 MB and it was only 5 hours long. I did not feel like it was worth the size.

Is it just me?
I just want to throw this out there and say in the world of high speed internet and hundreds of GB of hardware as a standard, download size means very little to me anymore, unless it's fucking ridiculous.
Download size doesn't really mean anything to people anymore...
I also do not care about size in any capacity. I would rather a game use high quality resources and take a few extra minutes to download than play through several hours of a game that could look or sound better.

That said there are people who care about this sort of thing, and more importantly there are people still using ancient network connections. Consider using oggs instead of mp3s if you are using RPG Maker XP or VX, and if you're really concerned you can throw up an alternate midi version for people who have issues with file size. As far as image formats go use png whenever possible and that's about all the advice I have regarding this.
Like mog said, filesize is pretty irrelevant, and rarely is it discouraging. But you're touching on dangerous thinking if you believe that the length of a game is a determinant of its quality. I don't feel like I got stiffed for a huge download when the game is short, as long as it is fun. If I download a 200mb file and it turns out to suck balls, I'll feel ripped off regardless of how long or short the game is.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=131669
I just want to throw this out there and say in the world of high speed internet and hundreds of GB of hardware as a standard, download size means very little to me anymore, unless it's fucking ridiculous.
ok thanks all! It was just me then :-)
I don't really care BUT with this caveat:

Your game better not be 300 megs if it lasts 10 minutes.
I like looking at what's in big games and seeing if the dev actually put any effort into distribution and what's driving up the file size (which is rarely a surprise, usually not the good kind either). Distribution is as important as every other part of the game IMO and there's no excuse to be lax about it. I see it as an indication of effort; I don't have much faith in a game where the dev was too lazy to compress that 20MB WAV into anything, reduce 320kbps MP3s to something tolerable, including unused resources, and my favorite (but unrelated to file size): Forgot to include everything the game requires!
My only concern in regarding this question is whether or not RMN accepts games that are of that size or higher... >_>;;;
post=131999
My only concern in regarding this question is whether or not RMN accepts games that are of that size or higher... >_>;;;

NicoB's Forever's End was at 141.8MB at one point so yeah.
any non-ridiculous proportion should be fine dependent on the media
Should it be:
(hours*3) = MB

Nope, it has to be hours^3,2578 = MB. And it has to be exactly that or you failed. ;-)
All of my chipsets are 4.8mbs in size due to the fact that I use high quality graphics *sunglasses*
chipsets pahahahahaha
Panoramas + Events + Pictures is the contemporary way now >:D.
you carry on thinking about rpg maker ::)
I was clearly talking about football.
nick please don't tell people about the football RPG I am making about a down on his luck footballer who gets signed to Newcastle after he saves the owner's life and turns the club around into the #1 team in the premier league... and then the world
kaempfer make that game. NOW
Pages: first 12 next last