WHY DOES DYING HAVE TO SUCK?

Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=137821
So I realized that Dragon Age and FFXIII have the same "full heal after battle" system, and it works really well because stuff is difficult but not "oh I didn't have enough MP." You expected to go ALL-OUT in every Dragon Age battle (and you'll probably die if you're not at least decent with your positioning/tactics).

This is why I spent an hour and a half continuously getting better and better at defeating the mage tower boss until I actually won. Note that boss battles are typically 3-5 minute skirmishes, and that (much like normal battles), positioning is everything.

I enjoy dying in Dragon Age (which I do a lot) because I want to get right back up and try again. Being able to save anywhere while not in combat helps, too. In almost any other RPG (except maybe Mass Effect 2 - oh hey Bioware) I stop playing for a day or two after I die. I just don't really care - but in Dragon Age I know it's entirely possible to win. Yes, it's due to level scaling and the next comment, I guess, but... it's fun as Hell!

Dragon Age's encounters are also hand-crafted (as in every single enemy encounter is placed in a specific spot and can only be encountered once ever, even "random" world map encounters I am 99% sure), which makes it even better due to traps/hazards/terrain/split attention/etc.

I felt the opposite way about dying in Dragon Age and after a few game overs I didn't want to play any more.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=137924
post=137922
post=137918
In almost any other RPG (except maybe Mass Effect 2 - oh hey Bioware) I stop playing for a day or two after I die.
That sucks, bro.
I don't like redoing slow, plodding battles where the first five minutes is buffing/debuffing.
Depends on the game. Most RPGs aren't like that!

I mean overall, I can't imagine calling something a hobby if you quit at the first roadblock. My enjoyment for RPGs (and other games) is rather unconditional. I wouldn't spend time and money on something if there was something I disliked about it to the point where I'd quit so easily, yeah?

This is something that I have been realizing over time: I like the idea of turn-based battles, but they are just so old - unless they are Pumped The Fuck Up with short animations and fun skills and plenty of nuances (Xenosaga III). Stuff just needs to be more interesting. I replay battles in The World Ends With You and Dragon Age because I'm actually doing something besides pressing the same button over and over again - thinking in an SMT game is better than nothing, yes, but it's still "cast Firaga on the weakness and go."

I like RPGs, the problem is that I actually despise them. They are all the same. You could say this is a problem for other genres, too, but I'm talking about the GOOD games here. Good FPS games have some sort of well-implemented mechanic that separates the game from others, right? Good RPGs need to start being fun.

Give me my Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant. :<

Also, MOG, RPGs are a huge hobby of mine. I just don't like them.
post=138060
I like RPGs, the problem is that I actually despise them. They are all the same. You could say this is a problem for other genres, too, but I'm talking about the GOOD games here. Good FPS games have some sort of well-implemented mechanic that separates the game from others, right? Good RPGs need to start being fun.
I think all genre specific games are the same. You probably notice it in RPGs more because you play more RPGs and the ratio of the rpg games to other genre games you play is probably 3:1. So naturally you're going to notice it more.

FPS games are wayyyy more samey than RPGs. yes, even good ones!

But yeah, I totally agree with the need for more interaction in battles rather than a message box popping up where you input commands. As much as tri-ace gets shit for having completely horrendous storylines and characters, Star Ocean and Resonance of Fate are good examples of not doing the same things jrpgs do all the time (in terms of battles).
Craze
RPGs are repetitive

Give me my Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant. :<

Just to clarify we are talking about the game that interrupts you with a timed hit sequence that never changes for EVERY ACTION, right

I don't really get the point of the post. There are plenty differences in how RPG gameplay plays out. Yes, even turnbased.
post=138065
post=138060
I think all genre specific games are the same. You probably notice it in RPGs more because you play more RPGs and the ratio of the rpg games to other genre games you play is probably 3:1. So naturally you're going to notice it more.

FPS games are wayyyy more samey than RPGs. yes, even good ones!

ding ding ding

As for me, I have no problem with turn based on a fundamental level. Sometimes being able to 'relax' and choose my actions at my leisure in a strategy centric style of play (turn based) can sometimes even be more desirable than free action battles. It's all in the execution. I don't think one is fundamentally better than the other.
Craze
Well, the fact that all of my games are turn-based probably means something. Well, except V&V, but NEVER AGAIN.

I have nothing wrong with turn-based systems; I have something wrong with... I don't even know. I have gone down in legend for being horrible at articulating my feelings to anyone but karsuman*, so I will just stop here!

<Craze> So, the thinger, with the bar and the cat... you know, and Lyla? Lyla's cleansing, right?
<Karsu> Yeah, I'll fix that. Good eye.
<Any other person> what just happened here

*And Alistair
It's basically something I noticed a long time ago. Most people who 'notice' that a genre is repetive and getting boring is usually because said genre is all they play and they played it a lot. Hell, I felt that way about RPGs a while back until I started diversifying with FPS, fighting games (my first love), and other genres, (and generally just getting out of the chair and enjoying life, which is probably the best way to enjoy video games as it is). Now, I generally love all of my games and enjoy coming back for multiple playthroughs if I have the opportunity.

Most people I've noticed who complain about RPGs being competitive, mostly play RPGs, all of the time, 100% of the time. No shit it's repetitive, it's all you do! Tried and true methods are usually tried and true because they work, not because of repetitiveness (although it CAN and DOES happen). Innovation is great and welcomed, but then there runs the risk of overdoing it and getting shit that I totally didn't ask for, like FFXIII.
Craze
Well, the thing is, I don't really play games that much. I am currently enthralled in Dragon Age, but usually I play games for an hour or two 3-4 times a week, maybe. I am nowhere near a hardcore gamer. Hell, most of my "gaming" is puzzle games on Newgrounds.

I just like fun stuff.
Maybe it's a matter of fitting into the demographic? Of course the issue of personal taste always applies as well.
We're all working alone or in tiny teams here, we make games we want to play especially since lots of us aren't getting paid to do so. So, we can do tons of things that aren't popular at all. It's not exactly like we're losing thousands and millions of dollars while we're at it.

I could probably record the mount of money that went into the food I ate to power this meat puppet into the total amount of money that went into things I do. I write lots of my own stuff so I didn't have to buy software either, and what software I do have that cost money was bought ages ago.