WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN A PLAYER HOUSE?

Pages: first 12 next last
I'm considering implementing a player house system into the RPG I'm designing right now.

What do you expect when it comes to player houses, and what would you like to see in a player house?
A bed. The player expects to customize it. Buy this, buy that, put this here, put that there.
Usually the player's bedroom, a living room, and a kitchen are staples. It would be neat to include a closet, bathroom, and some kind of rec room (study, computer, collection, etc.)

Depending on the time period of your game you could have a forge or lab.
It needs to be a sort of hub. Some kind of computer or mailbox system to get new missions/tasks for the player. Also a couple of minigames to waste time on and some kind of inventory space where you can put weapons and items (provided you have a limited inventory). If there's any other equippables or unequippables a house/hub thing is useful for tooling up for the next quest.

if the game has a party it's probably good to have the party members be there as well and let you pick your party from your house. Basically a player house just need to be one of those hub-things. And bonus is always if you can make all the stats and things available make sense in an in-world sense as well.

It's good if the place feels like home while still essentially just being a resting point.
A workbench or similar place to upgrade your equipment. Also, a pet dog.
post=136326
A workbench or similar place to upgrade your equipment. Also, a pet dog.

The pet dog idea is really good, you could have the player train it at their house for battles or have it give the player items when they return home if they interact with it enough.
Oh god this is going to turn into one of those topics
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I really misunderstood the nature of this topic upon reading it, misinterpreting it for something far more high brow and abstract than it was.
Typical playa houses includes women, weed, guns, money, diamond grills.

----

Joking aside, if you need help just look at the things around your house (or play the sims) For example,
Bathrooms with usable toilet, shower, and toilet paper.
Bedrooms with bed for resting, and closet to store clothes/items in.
A kitchen with a usable refrigerator and stove/microwave that you can use to create food (aka healing items).
A Living room with various entertainment (mini-games) options.
Study room/Workout room which you could use to increase your stats.
Basement with a bar and/or pool table where all the REAL men usually hang out.
post=136352
Typical playa houses includes women, weed, guns, money, diamond grills.

Fuck Yeah.

As long as the furni is movable like that NYC rm2k game, I am fine.
The ability to take chicks home and bang them in the bed (that also has a customizable comforter system).

Seriously.
Sorry but what the heck is a player house? I've seriously never heard this term before.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
A house that the player character lives in. In the Sims your dudes live in a player house.
I don't agree with FG, no matter how "small" the game is, I'd love to see a house customization system, even if it's completely useless.

I didn't give any suggestions because that's a question that can't be answered if we don't know the kind of game you're making.

For instance, even though Rowan's ideas were possibly a joke, having women and weed in your room could be pretty cool... but only in certain kinds of games.
post=136585
I don't agree with FG, no matter how "small" the game is, I'd love to see a house customization system, even if it's completely useless.

The problem with this logic is that given a finite amount of time it's more logical to put work in something that's useful over something that's useless.
Let's not discuss the finity of time.

I think it's fun decorating my character's house, so I don't think it's a useless feature, because it's fun. Chrono Trigger had a very simple thing of getting dolls from the fair and putting them in your bedroom. Very simple, completely useless in relation to everything else in the game, but still fun.

It's also very easy to implement.
I want what Phantasy Star 4 did. I want to be able to go to exotic places and buy souvenirs to put on display.
If possible and there is a point of it, interaction with the objects.
Pages: first 12 next last