DO JOB SYSTEMS WORK WITH MORE THAN 4 CHARACTERS

Pages: first 12 next last
Do job systems like in ff5 work in games where you can have loads of characters (Such as suikoden and ff7)

I am currently building a game and finding it very difficult to make the characters unique should I just scrap the job system and give them all a preset class?
FFT, although slightly a different genre did it, and did it well. Just make sure the job system has relative depth, and throw in a few unique ones for good measure. What did you have in mind for jobs?
At the moment I have 4 simple classes

White mage : High mp, mid hp, mid mag pwr
Black mage : High Mp, low hp, high mag pwr
Fighter : High hp, high def, low mag pwr very low mp
Berserker :High attack and hp cant control

I have also made each character have a unique class but I still feel like only 4 characters are needed.
Hmm, yeah. Assuming you only stick with those four classes, it's going to be very hard to spread it out to multiple characters. I was assuming you were going with a FFV/FFX-2 Job setup, which would work wonderfully with multiple characters.
My initial plan was to have a progresive class system where the characters gained stats depending on what class they were when they went up a level.

So for example If they went up a level as a mage they would gain mostly mp and mag pwr.

The problem was when the character switched class the stats would sometimes drop when they were told to stay the same I dont know why this is but it happens im using rpg 2003.
Something like this would probably work BEST with the newer makers, especially if you just started. They allow room for much more customization.
I tried xp but couldnt get a side view battle event to work.

Do you have any ideas what that bug is?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=136444

That's because XP knows that frontview is superior.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
To Arms! has up to 15 characters (but only ten generics) in a party at a time; all of the generics can choose from up to nine jobs at any time (outside of battle).

if you want to let it act as a guinea pig for this idea before going forward, I wouldn't blame you.
Yes it does. I am using 14 jobs for 14 characters, only I call the jobs classes.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=136446
post=136444

That's because XP knows that frontview is superior.

WORD.
Have not you experienced the joy of early Tales of... games!? Blasphemy I say!
That really depends if it fits or not. They probably can work if they're done right with careful planning, I can't see why they won't. You can make battles contain strategy and fun battles without a job system though. It's not a must have.

If you have this, just think.

Will the player need to swap between classes often to win battles? (You want to figure out a way to say yes.)
Will the classes all be worth using at different stages in the game? (If not, take out the ones that don't.)
Is this going to add strategy to the game? (You want to figure out ways to add strategy with that system.)
Don't see why not

The only thing better than four chemists is FIVE CHEMISTS
GUITAROMANCER.

</end_class_debate>
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Four guitaromancers.
Also, 16 playable characters built into 4 parties from 22 character classes (12 base classes, 4 hero classes, 3 secret classes, 3 master classes) is the best.
Pages: first 12 next last