CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS

Pages: first 123 next last
Hm...yet another CoD game. This ones made by treyarch however.

Thoughts?
cool topic bro.

Also, it looks like MW2, but with vehicles.
I would play it actually.
I'm deciding whether or not it'd be worth it to play something by treyarch again. They failed in gameplay in my eyes when it came to world at war.
post=137562
I'm deciding whether or not it'd be worth it to play something by treyarch again. They failed in gameplay in my eyes when it came to world at war.

In which way? There were a couple of odd design choices, but overall I found World at War to be a solid game. I'll probably buy this. Treyarch is a decent developer, and the latest generation Call of Duty engine (which I assume this uses) is incredibly solid. Treyarch will also probably be taking over as the sole developer of Call of Duty games at Activision, what with almost all of Infinity Ward's top dudes having left.

This is probably the last Call of Duty game I'll buy. There are some fairly major changes on the horizon for the series, I imagine. If Treyarch releases $15 DLCs for it I will stop buying Activision games altogether!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I will literally kill myself if this does not have some kind of viet cong zombie mode. (Based on my first ten viewing of this trailer (prior to this topic) I was pretty sure this was set at least partially during the Vietnam war. Now I'm not so sure. It's REALLY hard to tell with the quick flashes. I mean there is some weird shit here. Is that an astronaut...IN SPACE?)

I am a pretty big MW/MW2/WaW fan but I like the Nazi Zombies minigame better than ALL CoD GAMES PLUS EVERY OTHER FIRST PERSON SHOOTER AND ZOMBIE GAME COMBINED. Nazi Zombies is my favorite thing in the whole world.

I was CRUSHED when MW2 did not have Zombie Terrorists mode or whatever. But I accepted it because it was from Infinity Ward, not Treyarch. This one has no damn excuse.

The game's default story looks pretty damn dark anyway. Wouldn't be much of a stretch to throw in the undead. I am pretty psyched about this.

Edit:
I wish they hadn't made me start wanting this in May, though, when it doesn't come out until GOD DAMN November.

Edit 2:
I just spent like an hour looking for this one funny Hitler Rant video and couldn't find it.
Poor infinity ward. The first call of duty was great (it is the only CoD i played besides MW2) I tried MW2 multiplayer awhile ago on that free weekend thing, I wasn't impressed. I kept comparing it to CSS because they are both similar (and CSS has been recently updated) except MW2 has a lot of perks/nukes/rank/streaks/shit thrown in.

The maps really throw me off since there's a lot of fluff and graphical detail added rather than focusing on good layout, but it's hard for me to judge that clearly since I've only played MW2 for 3 hours. Also lol at instant knife kills, it seems every recent FPS has this bullshit where a simple melee attack does more damage than a fucking bullet. Traditionally melee kills were about humiliation and effort, now its rendered to a key you press if you're close to the enemy.
Couldn't care less about the COD series now. It's overpriced and over hyped.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
over....priced?

It costs the same as any other retail game.

Anyway the disconnect between here and the real world is astonishing sometimes.
post=138392
Poor infinity ward. The first call of duty was great (it is the only CoD i played besides MW2) I tried MW2 multiplayer awhile ago on that free weekend thing, I wasn't impressed. I kept comparing it to CSS because they are both similar (and CSS has been recently updated) except MW2 has a lot of perks/nukes/rank/streaks/shit thrown in.

The maps really throw me off since there's a lot of fluff and graphical detail added rather than focusing on good layout, but it's hard for me to judge that clearly since I've only played MW2 for 3 hours. Also lol at instant knife kills, it seems every recent FPS has this bullshit where a simple melee attack does more damage than a fucking bullet. Traditionally melee kills were about humiliation and effort, now its rendered to a key you press if you're close to the enemy.

MW2 is such a joke that even the dickless lunatics at Major League Gaming have abandoned it as a competition medium. The game has about as much depth as a bath tub.

Really, tiny maps, overpowered killstreaks that play the game for you; it's like playing musical chairs with guns. The objective based modes that lower percentage of people play is a token attachment, as the end objective never changes. PWN NOOBS by sitting in a corner and peeking out of a 1/2 inch hole to get your helicopter to spawn rape them. PEW PEW PEW.

After MW2, I dont think It's worth giving them any more money.

Derp

Overpriced for PC players. PC games typically cost 49.99; but the good people at Activision decided to charge 59.99 for a game with a half assed peer to peer hosting system, the omission of community modding tools (so that they can charge 15 Dollars for 5 maps), and a most importantly, a watered down shadow of it's predecessor.
post=138400
over....priced?

It costs the same as any other retail game.

Anyway the disconnect between here and the real world is astonishing sometimes.

At the time of release, yes. But uh, I don't see activision dropping their price anytime soon:

The thing that gets me is the amount of people still playing the game. I guess people like being treated like dyslexic 9 year olds.
I guess to "gamers" it is marketed as THE FPS to play right now, though to me it's TF2 since I don't have to pay 15 dollars for new maps.
post=138409
I guess to "gamers" it is marketed as THE FPS to play right now, though to me it's TF2 since I don't have to pay 15 dollars for new maps.

Yep, people went (and still are going) crazy for MW2.

I think I know what attracts people to this game, it's the whole feeling of being a total badass. MW2's gameplay consists of trying to get as overpowered as possible with all the killstreaks and such.
Now see, this catches on with people because power is addictive, they tell their friends about how they went 56-0 (15 or so of those kills being with their gun), they want to be crazy badass and it goes on and on.
post=138411
I think I know what attracts people to this game, it's the whole feeling of being a total badass. MW2's gameplay consists of trying to get as overpowered as possible with all the killstreaks and such.

8)

Key to success in MW2:
Use Grenade Launcher with One man Army. This lets you have unlimited grenade launchers. Sit inside a building, plant some claymores. Success.

I still like the game because IW > Treyarch, but certain perks and 95% of the people make it a bad experience. That's why PC CoD 4 is so great, it's very easy stick with a server you like with the settings you like. Dedicated servers would have fixed everything.
Use Grenade Launcher with One man Army. This lets you have unlimited grenade launchers. Sit inside a building, plant some claymores. Success.

Isn't that a cheap bullshit tactic? Seriously, with how tiny maps are and how powerful and accurate everything is; you can play with your tongue and still shit on people who would rather use laser bullets regular weaponry.
post=138416
Key to success in MW2:
camping apparently
I like how you guys are pointing out the absolute worst parts of MW2!

Don't get me wrong, the game is RIDDLED with problems (all of which stem from Activision and not IW as far as I can tell), but if you chumps ever played hardcore you'd learn what a fantabulous game it is. I have never played another FPS (with the exception of its predecessor, obviously) that handled as responsively as MW2.

My best game was 98:15 on Scrapyard with the RPD- I have screens kicking around somewhere. No cheapshit OMA/tubes there.

I do agree that killstreaks are overpowered dramatically outside of hardcore and the lack of dedicated servers is bewilderingly stupid, and I once read the marketing director for IW said that the $15 price for the map pack was "fantastic value" which almost made me reach through the screen and punch him in the dick, but...

I've played 245 hours of it on my friend's account, so IW didn't get any money out of me and I've played a lot of vidcons, so who am I to complain?

edit: everyone was creaming their pants about BF:BC2 being the MW2 killer but it's just not. It's a great game and the people at DICE obviously give a shit about improving their game (as witnessed by various significant chances to playmodes/free super-high detail maps) which means a lot to me, but MW2 is just a better game. I always feel like I have control over what I'm doing in MW2 (except constantly getting spawn raped because of the HORRENDOUS spawn system in MW2), whereas BF:BC2 is like a clusterfuck of Carl Gustavs going off constantly and getting raped in your peehole 24/7
post=138468
I like how you guys are pointing out the absolute worst parts of MW2!

Don't get me wrong, the game is RIDDLED with problems (all of which stem from Activision and not IW as far as I can tell), but if you chumps ever played hardcore you'd learn what a fantabulous game it is. I have never played another FPS (with the exception of its predecessor, obviously) that handled as responsively as MW2.

Go play Team Fortress 2. Handles very well; comes with a ton of free content, a big community providing even more free content, and is priced cheaper than MW2. If you think MW2 is great and you've never played anything else; there are a wealth of superior fire person shooters out there just waiting.

edit: everyone was creaming their pants about BF:BC2 being the MW2 killer but it's just not. It's a great game and the people at DICE obviously give a shit about improving their game (as witnessed by various significant chances to playmodes/free super-high detail maps) which means a lot to me, but MW2 is just a better game.

You think it's better because you're trying to play it like MW2; unfortunately - it's a different game. It has issues; yes - but not issues like... Peer 2 Peer connections, rampant cheating, shooting someone in the big toe for a split second to gain a kill, and so on.

whereas BF:BC2 is like a clusterfuck of Carl Gustavs going off constantly and getting raped in your peehole 24/7

Pro tip against carl gustav : Move. If you poke your head out of a window to pick off someone, assume someone saw you and keep moving; stay on your toes and quickly adapt to the changing situation around you. You're treating BC2 like it's MW2. It isn't. BC2 promotes team play, working with your squad, and adapting quickly to a changing and chaotic situation (Buildings crumbling, motion detectors, mortar fire, tanks and so on.) MW2 promotes map knowledge, pre-firing, and the oh so delightful camping.

Playing BC2 has made me better at other games purely because of how chaotic it can get. Using all of the tools in BC2 (spotting, motion mines, UAV) allows you to bring a measure of order to the chaos. You can even invoke some chaos and use it as a distraction for your advantage. Smoke grenades and mortar fire are amongst my two favorite methods of covering a bomb plant or flanking maneuver.
Speaking of TF2, the stimulus map pack costs more than it. :/
Pages: first 123 next last