CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS

Pages: first prev 123 next last
post=138481
Go play Team Fortress 2. Handles very well; comes with a ton of free content, a big community providing even more free content, and is priced cheaper than MW2.

That is, when it's not crashing every 12 seconds. :O
I LIKE shooting someone in the toe and having them die (although this doesn't happen outside of the Kar 98k in Day of Defeat). I'm not a huge fan of arcady games. TF2 does look really good, but the simple fact that a medic can heal faster than some guns deal damage makes me not want to play it. I'm just not good at games that require you to 'learn tricks!' to win (like CS:S!).

I have played quite a bit of BF:BC2. Like I said, I like it. I don't play it like I play MW2; I'm a lot more team oriented and I always try to support people/cap objectives/don't steal vehicles constantly and I'm also more careful, overall. But I really only the hardcore servers, is my problem, because like I mentioned I enjoy realism over arcade.
TF2 is really good, man. You should check it out. Like, really good.
post=138949
I LIKE shooting someone in the toe and having them die (although this doesn't happen outside of the Kar 98k in Day of Defeat). I'm not a huge fan of arcady games. TF2 does look really good, but the simple fact that a medic can heal faster than some guns deal damage makes me not want to play it. I'm just not good at games that require you to 'learn tricks!' to win (like CS:S!).

... Modern Warfare 2 is the definition of "Arcadey". If you looked up Arcadey in the dictionary, you'd see an actual picture of an arcade, and then under that: You'd see Modern Warfare 2. As far as the medic gun... It's far from overpowered; no class being healed by a medic is invulnerable just from being healed. Far, far from it. Any player running into a fight with that impression is quickly cut down.

On healing *Aside from a sniper placing a well timed bullet in the head, there's critical hits, focus fire, multiple sticky bombs from a single demo man, a spy can also sneak by and backstab both of them; a scout can rush quickly and flank the medic who's healing, I think I misseed a few; but you get the picture.

'learn tricks!'

Those tricks are what keep things interesting. A good game has tricks for advanced players to use; but also has things for others to hold their own. TF2 has plenty of that. I myself could never get the hang of flick rocket jumping as a soldier due to my unique control scheme....so I focused more on playing a demo man. There's a class for pretty much anyone.

It even has hats!
Yeah I was gonna say MW2 is the definition of arcadey.

And you shoot the medic, not the person the medic is healing. Silly Kaempfer!
Do you guys play Hardcore in MW2? Because it is plays completely differently. I agree that regular playmodes (Demolition, TDM, et cetera) are extremely arcadey but Hardcore is just... not. Especially HC TDM (headquarters is a little more arcadey because of the tube prevalence). If you think that a game where a single bullet can kill is more arcadey than a game that has rocket jumping then obviously one of us has no idea what arcadey means!

edit: I am not saying TF2 is a bad game so please stop defending it
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Key to success in MW2:
Use Grenade Launcher with One man Army. This lets you have unlimited grenade launchers. Sit inside a building, plant some claymores. Success.

This is much harder than it seems as I spent several games trying to ape this incredibly cheap tactic and failing. I decided the tactic must not be that cheap. Then again, maybe I just suck at FPS. But I certainly have never put up numbers like Neophyte's with any tactic. Nor has anyone I know.

I'm not going to try and defend MW2 at this point. Just suggest that there is a disconnect between the game that me and my brother and my brother's friends played and whatever game this is Neophyte is playing where anyone is going 108 and 20. Even when Penny Arcade was bitching about dual shotgun guys and the javelin glitch and the "witch" build, before anyone even found out about god damn infinigrenades, the entire internet was in an uproar about cheap play and exploitable bullshit that I ALMOST LITERALLY NEVER SAW.(To clarify, I played TDM and that is basically all I played outside of the campaign which I actually played multiple times because I am weird like that, and spec ops (which was nowhere near as entertaining as Nazi Zombies). Sometimes its hard to know where the line between hardcore and casual gets drawn. I've always considered myself on the hardcore side of the line but conversations like this make me wonder.

I also do not understand how anyone is saying that CoD is Arcadey. It is one of the least arcadey games I've ever played because I consider arcadey to be inversely related to BULLETS CAUSING YOU TO DIE.

I agree that the stimulus pack was bullshit and I definitely would not have bought it if my brother didn't go ahead and buy it on his own initiative.

Anyway clearly this is not the topic where we anticipate the next Call of Duty game fervently. (Although I am doing just that.)
A lot of the cheap shit that people complain about is relegated to consoles; of course, dual 1887s were a big rage for awhile, but I almost never see them anymore, which is weird. These things seem to go in phases; knifing, Dual G18s, OMAing with tubes... I used to see several people each game doing things like this, then after awhile nobody did it anymore.

Like I said, hardcore is a different ballpark and it's a little harder to abuse the game. Perks have more value (although cold-blooded is insanely useful) on their own since they are less necessary when one shot kills; commando pro isn't as worthwhile when EVERY attack kills in one or two shots, et cetera et cetera. I actually have a class that uses Sitrep, which is TOTALLY WORTHLESS in normal game modes.

edit: nva zombies yes please
Oh, you are referring arcadey to the amount of bullets it takes to kill somebody. I was talking about the entire concept behind the multiplayer which makes the game feel like some arcade game. The way the game treats you by giving you perks, unlocks, emblems, rewards for killstreaks, and its game types give off that feel. It's not bad, but I would think a better term for the whole thing is realistic vs non-realistic. Because Commando Pro certainly isn't realistic either!

Btw I almost exclusively play snd and hate the regular tdm and ground war. Hardcore is great because it doesn't promote run and gun tactics as much, and I do enjoy it more than the regular modes. It actually makes the UAV the most useful killstreak.

Max: I have been playing cod games since CoD 1. We used to have a small club at my highschool when CoD 2 came out where we all played. Those numbers were done with a supposedly 'cheap' tactic, but 99% of the time I use my gun. Even then, though, I get called a hacker. =(
I agree about killstreaks being stupid and I hope they drastically scale them back for Black Ops (unlikely considering Treyarchs 'we'll do what the IW title did but MORE OF THAT' mindset), but in hard core killstreaks are fairly useless.

I mean, in a Ground War game a Pave Low can net you 20+ kills if nobody shoots it down, and I've gotten my one and only nuke by tagging 20+ guys with a Chopper Gunner (I can't count the number of 23 or 24 killstreaks I've had), BUT: in hardcore most people run Cold-Blooded which makes most killstreaks totally ineffective. Choppers and harriers won't acquire targets and Chopper Gunners/AC130s thermal cams actually act as a detriment. Normally speaking the most my top-level killstreak will net me in hardcore is 3-5 kills if I'm lucky, usually 1-2, though, owing to Cold-Blooded.

I use UAV, CUAV and Airstrike now anyway, since I rarely get above 7 or 8 killstreaks in hardcore. I used to use Care Package, but it's probably gotten me killed way more times than it's gotten me kills! OH GOOD ANOTHER BOX OF AMMO
Max McGee
post=139090
A lot of the cheap shit that people complain about is relegated to consoles; of course, dual 1887s were a big rage for awhile, but I almost never see them anymore, which is weird. These things seem to go in phases; knifing, Dual G18s, OMAing with tubes... I used to see several people each game doing things like this, then after awhile nobody did it anymore.

Like I said, hardcore is a different ballpark and it's a little harder to abuse the game. Perks have more value (although cold-blooded is insanely useful) on their own since they are less necessary when one shot kills; commando pro isn't as worthwhile when EVERY attack kills in one or two shots, et cetera et cetera. I actually have a class that uses Sitrep, which is TOTALLY WORTHLESS in normal game modes.

edit: nva zombies yes please

I play exclusively on consoles, I haven't even tried to do PC gaming in like a decade.

But I don't know the issue of cheap play "ruining" MW2 just seems to be more visible/real for the internet then it is for me and people I know IRL. Of course, maybe it's just gotten a lot worse lately. I haven't been playing for the past few months.

I kind of <3 Treyarch because of Nazi Zombies, which I single-handedly credit for getting my brother into videogames, something no game he played in the 18 years prior to him playing Nazi Zombies was able to do.

I don't know, I am an odd duck because (outside of Nazi Zombies) I played the last three CoD games primarily for the campaign. (Although they are the only games whose multiplayer I have played even semi-seriously in...ever.)
Only reason I got COD: WAW was the zombie mode. I was the only one of my friends who didn't get bored of it. It was a hilariously addictive feature.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
New trailer for it, reminds me too much of Modern Warfare, sill looks good though.

Max McGee
sill looks good though.

So does your avatar, tau, I am glad you haven't changed it,.

/me watches new video ten times.

Dialogue makes me think this is a direct or indirect sequel to MW2, plot-wise. Would that be allowed with Treyarch being the developer?
IW's senior designers arn't exactly there anymore so I doubt they can object to what Activision wants.
My best guess would be that this has very little (if anything) to do with MW2, plot-wise. Maybe the world will be the same, but I doubt any characters will make an appearance.

This is, like I said, just a guess, but I think the game is going to either a) take place in Vietnam or more likely) b) start with a flashback in Vietnam and then cut forward to the present day as a few grizzled vets try to unwind the web of lies that led them to commit some atrocity in Vietnam by taking on the people responsible for it in today's rough and tumble world! That is my guess!
So I just watched the Pacific and it made me want to shoot Japanese people circa WW2 so I loaded up my 360 copy of Modern Warfare 5. It suddenly made me realise that Treyarch sucks! After playing through the first three missions as the Marines, I was switched to the Russian theatre. I had to do that wonderful mission where you get to snipe the German sniper in Stalingrad. Except... he literally pops up for .5 seconds and can acquire you through SOLID OBJECTS and if you hit him, he's "ONLY WOUNDED". Which means that, with a 360 controller, I am supposed to somehow shoot him in the head in literally .5 seconds (after which point you die). Even if you wound him he somehow manages to shoot you dead in less than a second.

Anyone who can design something so poorly doesn't deserve any more money from me. What a crummy game.
I don't know. I somewhat wish MW2 was made a little bit better, but for what they did, i think they did a pretty damn good job.

Treyarch is a bit more realistic in a way with their stuff. Arms/legs flying off, etc. etc....I thought that was pretty damn cool.

Personally, with what Kaempfer said, that part just truly pissed me off.
Looks interesting enough; not sure if I would invest my money in this, I would rather wait for a direct sequel to Modern Warfare 2. And if I'm not mistaken, the fact this is being made by Treyarch means no Captain Price.
Max McGee
post=139792
So I just watched the Pacific and it made me want to shoot Japanese people circa WW2 so I loaded up my 360 copy of Modern Warfare 5. It suddenly made me realise that Treyarch sucks! After playing through the first three missions as the Marines, I was switched to the Russian theatre. I had to do that wonderful mission where you get to snipe the German sniper in Stalingrad. Except... he literally pops up for .5 seconds and can acquire you through SOLID OBJECTS and if you hit him, he's "ONLY WOUNDED". Which means that, with a 360 controller, I am supposed to somehow shoot him in the head in literally .5 seconds (after which point you die). Even if you wound him he somehow manages to shoot you dead in less than a second.

Anyone who can design something so poorly doesn't deserve any more money from me. What a crummy game.

I love that level.

I have a feeling I never played on whatever difficulty you're playing on.

This is, like I said, just a guess, but I think the game is going to either a) take place in Vietnam or more likely) b) start with a flashback in Vietnam and then cut forward to the present day as a few grizzled vets try to unwind the web of lies that led them to commit some atrocity in Vietnam by taking on the people responsible for it in today's rough and tumble world! That is my guess!

That's what I thought from the FIRST trailer but the extensive discussion of "everything we know is a lie" in the second trailer really brought to mind the "history is written by the victors" that we were hammered with throughout the plot of MW2.
Pages: first prev 123 next last