WOULD THIS ANNOY YOU?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
You guys are citing examples of a having a non-linear game with overarching goals. Gale is saying that she won't even tell the player what that goal is - which is, well, an issue. You complete objectives in games. Not knowing what your objective is at all hurts that (and no, "discovering your objective" is not an objective).
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
You have a bucket of Legos. What is the objective?
Craze
RPGs are way different from building sims, chaos.
haha none of you played romancing saga

this is exactly what it does

down to the letter
post=138818
You have a bucket of Legos. What is the objective?
To build what the instructions say to build.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Sandbox games don't need objectives. Give them a molotov and a lawless town and see if they don't get what's up.
Sandbox games get pretty boring. At least in SimCity you had an objective of "build a city".
Craze
chaos why are you tearing this topic apart

we are talking about RPGs where this is relevant not sandbox games where it is a sandbox

god will you ever stay on topic, you are so annoying
To elaborate on my previous post, Romancing Saga, specifically the one for PS2, does exactly this. There are 7 characters, and while there IS a few character specific, objective quests at the beginning of their respective games, they're really only about 5% of the actual game, with some characters literally having next to no opening quests. Every character without exception, finds himself dropped in a massive world and being more or less told 'Go do shit. Go FIND shit to do'.

Some quests are different depending on who you're playing as, but the entire game is comprised of exploring and finding quests, finding out about the world, solving (or creating) problems, opportunities, other characters, and gaining power until the game finally determines how many quests you did and how powerful you are, and it opens up the final dungeons and bosses for it.

Given that the SaGa games are popular enough to survive up until more or less, now, people dig it!
Valkyrie Profile is a good example of how it's done right in an rpg (other than the obvious fallout/oblivion). I guess you could say the game is kinda linear since there is a world map with only a select few locations (which eventually open up over time). You have to poke around to find quests, though. And the game doesn't specifically tell you where to go.

"21 DAYS UNTIL RAGNAROK. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER"

Since there are only a handful of locations to go to, it's pretty easy to find quests and recruit people. Plus the areas are small, so it's not like you're wandering around in the dark.

post=138840
Valkyrie Profile is a good example of how it's done right in an rpg (other than the obvious fallout/oblivion). I guess you could say the game is kinda linear since there is a world map with only a select few locations (which eventually open up over time). You have to poke around to find quests, though. And the game doesn't specifically tell you where to go.

Since there are only a handful of locations to go to, it's pretty easy to find quests and recruit people. Plus the areas are small, so it's not like you're wandering around in the dark.

This was pretty novel but the hard capped time limit made me somewhat paranoid about being strong enough for endgame and I spent way more time grinding than I should have by entering a dungeon each available free day. Ultimately my own fault but the game should probably have some kind of disclaimer that you don't need to resort that kind of behavior or it should have diminishing/no returns for it.
Craze
post=138848
post=138840

This was pretty novel but the hard capped time limit made me somewhat paranoid about being strong enough for endgame and I spent way more time grinding than I should have by entering a dungeon each available free day. Ultimately my own fault but the game should probably have some kind of disclaimer that you don't need to resort that kind of behavior or it should have diminishing/no returns for it.

I know you played Visions & Voices. How did that compare, considering it is "TEN DAYS UNTIL THE WORLD IS LOVECRAFT'D. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER" as well?
post=138849
I know you played Visions & Voices. How did that compare, considering it is "TEN DAYS UNTIL THE WORLD IS LOVECRAFT'D. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER" as well?

Well, V&V also hardcaps your power level, so I just made a point to explore everything and then rest my way to endgame.
post=138817
You guys are citing examples of a having a non-linear game with overarching goals. Gale is saying that he won't even tell the player what that goal is - which is, well, an issue. You complete objectives in games. Not knowing what your objective is at all hurts that (and no, "discovering your objective" is not an objective).

*she

Perhaps I ought to elaborate a little.

In the game I referred to with my first post, whilst you're not given clear objectives, you're not thrown out into a massive sandbox world without a single goal. There's only one route away from your home town (you're forced out of your home town), which leads to a nearby town. Talking to anybody in that town is likely to give you an idea of where to go next. Even a tiny bit of exploration will inevitably give you a clue as to who exactly you need to talk to. I can't imagine that any player wouldn't talk to any of the NPCs or wander into buildings around town, even if you're not directly told by some psychic force the exact coordinates of your next objective.

You're also offered a bit of backstory during the first part of the game - it introduces you to several mysteries which you have to solve over the course of the game (such as who kidnapped you only to return you two hours later, why you can't remember murdering the High Priest, and the less obvious question of who exactly your parents were).
Craze
Gender fixed in post.

Also, that works. That's effective game design I support.

Your OP just made it seem a lot worse.
I think it's important to recognize why there is a linear formula in standard (j)RPG's. Objectives are given via cutscenes, and more rarely by exploration unless it's an area you're specifically told to go to in a previous cutscene. The purpose is simple; your interactive gameplay experience is being bridged together. In a very classic formula, it's town, dungeon, town, dungeon, etc. It roughly falls in work, reward, work reward structure also. Each town you get to establishes your next main objective (again through a linear sequence of scenes that you're likely required to trigger), and very often new sidequests are given, or access to complete previously given sidequests. You also upgrade your equipment and cash in on said sidequests. It's a planning/execution phase shift which are balanced to complement each other and check each other from occupying too much time and thus becoming boring.

What you are suggesting is theoretically possible, but requires a major overhaul of this dynamic. You simply can't have a standard RPG like we all know and love with this new formula. If you're taking the same game progression (town, dungeon, ad nauseum) and simply hiding the objectives from open view, you're needlessly crippling the experience. It really takes a game like Oblivion, where your "main quest" is treated in equal weight and magnitude as pretty much any other quest in the whole game, to make something like this work. It's hard to explain, but imagine there were no side quests in Oblivion, only the main quest. It's all of a sudden a much more dull game, and it doesn't work. It's defined by sheer content that weighs as heavily as the main quest.

To summarize, it seems silly to obscure the main objective without providing a clear and rewarding exploration experience. Finding out what to do next is not a reward, but stumbling into additional quest chains or providing a completely combat-independent system for people to play with at their leisure certainly can be.
DAMMIT I JUST SAID ROMANCING SAGA, ALBEIT THE ENTIRE SAGA SERIES DOES EXACTLY WHAT THE TC IS OUTLINING

SOMEONE VALIDATE MY EXISTENCE

I NEED VALIDATION
post=137268
Would it irritate you, as the player, to be forced to explore the game world in order to make progress in the story, or do you prefer to be very clearly directed to where you need to go next?

If I don't get any sense of direction after a while of playing, I just quit. BUT if I know what I'm supposed to do next and where to go easily, but there are thousands of side quests- I'll have tons of fun doing them and continue the story whenever. You can "widen" the gameplay like that if you wanted so long as you told me what I'm supposed to be doing, and I would still possibly enjoy it.

As for the "NOT A MERE RPG COULD CONTAIN THE AWESOMENESS OF OBLIVION", you could actually easily implement the journal system into a typical JRPG model. In fact I wish more JRPGs did this because I love the simplicity and the Anime style they tend to have but would love if it were more open.

Seriously, if you take a look inside at the mechanics of Oblivion (and I have, of course) it's not that complicated. It's actually surprisingly simple at how they did things. Sure the construction interface is crap, but you can still make fun dungeons full of enemy factions and add in some quests/whatever.

Actually, if you want a more open experience without annoying players like me, you should actually get the construction kit for Fallout 3 / Oblivion and check out how they put stuff together. You don't have to learn how to make your own content, just poke around and experiment.
post=138974
post=137268
Would it irritate you, as the player, to be forced to explore the game world in order to make progress in the story, or do you prefer to be very clearly directed to where you need to go next?
If I don't get any sense of direction after a while of playing, I just quit. BUT if I know what I'm supposed to do next and where to go easily, but there are thousands of side quests- I'll have tons of fun doing them and continue the story whenever. You can "widen" the gameplay like that if you wanted so long as you told me what I'm supposed to be doing, and I would still possibly enjoy it.

As for the "NOT A MERE RPG COULD CONTAIN THE AWESOMENESS OF OBLIVION", you could actually easily implement the journal system into a typical JRPG model. In fact I wish more JRPGs did this because I love the simplicity and the Anime style they tend to have but would love if it were more open.

Seriously, if you take a look inside at the mechanics of Oblivion (and I have, of course) it's not that complicated. It's actually surprisingly simple at how they did things. Sure the construction interface is crap, but you can still make fun dungeons full of enemy factions and add in some quests/whatever.

Actually, if you want a more open experience without annoying players like me, you should actually get the construction kit for Fallout 3 / Oblivion and check out how they put stuff together. You don't have to learn how to make your own content, just poke around and experiment.

I'm a huge fan of those two games (mostly FO3) and they're highly inspirational to the game I was planning.
Craze
I thought that Oblivion/Fallout 3 were good non-linear romps until I played Dragon Age and the structure/story/characters/world blew them out of the water. Falloblivion is more what you're looking for, though, I think, and can be fun (if modded fairly extensively).
Pages: first prev 123 next last