LETS DESIGN A REAL WORLD MAP! RIGHT NOW! WITH VX AND PHOTOSHOP!

Pages: 1
Well I was interested to see if i could pull off a world map like that of Legend of Denadel or Heros Realm. And half way through I had a brain cramp. To which I wondered if could pull off a map in the style of Oblivion, Dragon Age and the 100s of other RPGs that use the old paper map effect.

So I took the simple terrain template (300 x 300) I made in VX and imported it into Photoshop.

There we go! In all it's rectangular beauty. This is using just the water tile and the default grass tile. From here I simply imported another image, this time a high resolution paper texture.

Immediately you can see the style I'm going for. The water has been cropped out completely to leave just the islands and their outlines. However It looks very dull as a paper washout. I want to make it look like an actual map and I want to make it a little bit more obvious of the inland and surrounding sea.

Now you can clearly make out the two islands surrounded by the sea. The edges of colour clash have also been softened up. However, look at those jaggy edges from the VX tile set! Instead of blurring them which will take off the quality in the outline around the map I'm going to use a soft edged eraser and smooth-en out the edges that way. I also want to add in the roads which will connect each little village and town together...

Ahah! That looks a lot smarter. The roads are all drawn in with a 2pxl smooth pen and faded into the map to not look so obvious. You may of noticed I also added Snow Caps to the top of the West Island and a tiny bit to the North East of the Eastern Island. I've added some darker ground to add some variety as well. Look I even made a volcano island at the bottom Right corner. Using a tiny 1-2pxl eraser I was able to edit any unrealistic smooth edge to the island and make a few detailed worn edges.

Now for some finishing touches. I wanna add a compass to the corner and then add some general grunge effect to make the paper look worn and torn.

So here's the final result. I've added a few faded grunge brushes around the corner and over the Western Island. I found myself a map compass and placed it on the paper with a slight perspective edit to create a slight 3D effect. And to top it off I added in a faded map grid overlaying the entire image and popped the Island names onto the empty areas of land.

And there you have it! One world map, in the style of Oblivion and Dragon Age. Quick, Simple and easy.

No this isn't a tutorial. I was just showing off...

marimo
Nessiah's Seme-kun
*__* Even if you say it wasn't a tutorial, it was a great collection of step by step pictures and thanks for that! So genius. XDD I never even considered using RPG maker VX for this. <3
Now that's some cool map, maybe I'll use it for my game! XD

NOT! of course not, I'll do thing for myself becouse I want to learn how to do cool stuff like that!
Good job there!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I'd make the far edges of the grid fade sooner - right now they seem to go right up to the edge, which is kind of icky. Otherwise, great map.
I would like a tutorial!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
He... basically made one.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
That's really awesome. Would you be interested in doing something like that for Denadel? Edchuy made a globe that I'll be posting on the page pretty soon, but that would make for a really cool image to be displaced as an in-game item.

You might want to respond via PM or on the project page, since this is somewhat off topic :)
Design my world map, and there's a shiny nickle in it for you.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=138436
Design my world map, and there's a shiny nickle in it for you.

I don't have VX or XP, though.

Edit: Your use of mac and blue chipsets is outstanding...are you sure you need help with a world map?
post=137901
He... basically made one.

I think he meant like, an article thingy.
If you want one just made a rough design of what you want in terms of shape, names, roads etc and I can work on it.
Looks awesome! But you ignored the water. You could throw in a few ships (traveling along major trade routes) and a sea monster or two in there(these could be in locations where a sea monster actually resides, in game). Oh, and don't forget the legend, showing the scale, the name of the world, and the year the map was "drawn up."
Edit: Your use of mac and blue chipsets is outstanding...are you sure you need help with a world map?

I wouldn't qualify it as outstanding, but in this particular case I just want the parchment look to the worldmap.
That is very fancy. My favorite one is the first one.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
very awesome, similar to the map tut I was gunna write
post=139904
Looks awesome! But you ignored the water. You could throw in a few ships (traveling along major trade routes) and a sea monster or two in there(these could be in locations where a sea monster actually resides, in game). Oh, and don't forget the legend, showing the scale, the name of the world, and the year the map was "drawn up."

I added a few in tests but they ended up making it look cluttered and tacky.
Pages: 1