GAME PET PEEVES

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=140672
Does anyone remember the original Dragon Warrior for the NES? By end game you have about 135 HP. Solo. <3

Man, that game was pretty hard!

As for a pet peeve, it annoys me when a game gives you 10+ playable characters, but there is no real incentive to use anyone in your party other than the strongest 3 (or 4).

Strongest? I always go for the prettiest.
post=140673
post=140672
Does anyone remember the original Dragon Warrior for the NES? By end game you have about 135 HP. Solo. <3

As for a pet peeve, it annoys me when a game gives you 10+ playable characters, but there is no real incentive to use anyone in your party other than the strongest 3 (or 4).

Unless I actually know how good each character is, I go for the coolest. So make the shitty characters cool-looking and I'll get slaughtered!
I also go for the coolest, and if he's not the strongest, I level him up until he is.
I'm one of those players who uses everyone and make sure they're close to the same level as everyone else.

Outside of specific situations and events, It REALLY bugs me when you can't remove the hero from the party.
post=140708
Outside of specific situations and events, It REALLY bugs me when you can't remove the hero from the party.

This is a good one. Most of the time main characters are the least interesting characters!

FF9 was a total dick about this when Zidane is pretty subpar outside of stealing in combat and the game allows you to remove him from the party...inside the final dungeon only.
post=140673
post=140672

Me too.

Birgette is so hot.

(and so is the Fire Elemental dohoho)
post=140532
That's why they have challenges! If you don't want to go full-out, just try simple stuff like "only use the sphere grid after beating a boss."

EDIT: MOG DID YOU READ THAT POST

YEAH AND I DON'T LIKE IT

I dislike 'challenges' to cover up a game being shit easy. Don't get me wrong, I like challenges, but I don't want to make up a 'challenge' to cover the game's ass for being easy enough for a retarded person to beat it. I'm a competitive person and I'm big on overcoming obstacles in the hobbies I pick, so dislike easy things by nature.
Craze
wait what

I meant

that poster said "I wish this game had difficulty levels"

you just basically said "I wish some games had difficulty levels"

I remember you saying that you had never seen anybody wishing for difficulty levels before!
No I don't want (or rather, don't care either way about) difficulty levels, I just want games to be reasonably difficult/challenging to begin with. Examples; FFV, Legend of Legaia, Wild Arms, Saga Frontier, etc...
Craze
So you want a normal difficulty level with options for other folks?
I personally don't care about that sort of thing at all, but I mean, I guess. However I do enjoy the novelty factor of 'hard games', as in "This game is supposed to be difficult, and if you don't like it, play another game." Demons Souls is a perfect example of a game that's so great because it's uncompromisingly difficult. I wouldn't trade that for the world.
Craze
Of course. But let's look at... Final Fantasy, or Suikoden. More traditional games. The ones where you do want difficulty levels!

EDIT: When I say "look at" I don't really mean anything by it.
There appears to be a typo in a post

FF5 is basically the second easiest FF of all time
post=140857
FF5 is basically the second easiest FF of all time

You mean after FF6, FF7, FF8, and FF10, rite?

However I do agree that FF5 isn't very difficult. Perhaps that honor goes to FF4 or FF13.
Nah, just after FF8. FF6 at least tries to have a hard dungeon or two and the broken combo (Gau's irresistable charm rage) comes late into the game. FF7 is a pushover but I can't think of any available early game breakers (Tonfa please correct me if I'm wrong). FF10 has the Great Marlboro whose powers of frustration is only surpassed by the retarded mingames you have to play to power up further.

You also can't skip the final boss in any of those! (although they fixed that in FF5A)

The only FF that you can't beat by chewing on your controller is probably FF3DS thanks to the random chance of a boss double attacking the same character and dropping them from 90% health
FF7 is a pushover but I can't think of any available early game breakers

Early game breaker? Beta.

Come on dude, FFVII is easily the easiest game in the series. If not one of the easiest RPGs...ever. I remember telling my younger brother to 'just press X' when I had to go to the bathroom, I literally beat Sephiroth with my eyes closed one time, and one other time I accidentally stumbled on to a combo where I killed everything in one turn. FF10's Great Malboro is an entire one enemy that's tricky (at least FF5 has a few) and FF6 is extremely trivial to the point where it can be beaten with three people and never leveling up.

I love all of the FFs, but FF5 is one of the best balanced of the lot. Most of the others can be trounced over quite easily. While FF5 has quite a few options for curbstompage, at least they're not available until later in the game, and at LEAST a lot of FF5's bosses has tricks and such to beating them, as opposed to hitting it until it dies.
I remember only needing Cure and All to break FF VII. FF VI is also a game which pretty much breaks itself.
Yeah you pretty much literally need to be a retarded child not to be able to beat FFVII. In fact, a retarded child will beat it, and anyone with a strand of tactical sense will break it, to the point where you have to force yourself to get a challenge out of it.
special olympics of game difficulty

Beta doesn't really count as game breakage since you have to have a fair bit of knowledge+competence to even get it when it matters. That said it's still a stupidly OP spell! Also FF7 needs no game breaking, there are three bosses that pose a realistic threat (DEMONS GATE, Carry Armor, Turks: The Final Battle) and the enemies are ridden with terrible design decisions I could rant about forever

I did manage to die to Wutai randoms unmodified/unchallenged earlier this year...after getting back the materia. It will be my eternal mark of shame

FF5 does pretty well since it has a mask of competence due to enemies having tricks and gimmicks. That said the right things at the right times split the game open like nothing else, almost every boss has a hilarious built in weakness and !Blue is almost as good as the FF7 E.Skill set. My recent netplaythrough exposed how bad the enemies tend to be at actually killing you rather than just running annoyance though - we'd regularly do crazy gimmick stuff like cast Moon Flute with a mage party or sabotage each other and come out of random encounters just fine anyway. (And then you open a chest and a red dragon nukes you in 2 turns, FF5 has the most uneven difficulty)

FFs are cool games but there's a reason for the NSFSNFFNFANFANUFAB challenge stuff
Beating FF-whatever with no EXP is meaningless, you can even do that in FF13. No need to let a retard mash X for you, FF5 will let you kill its super bosses without any input! FF5 also doesn't have an enemy that will always ambush you, inflict the party with status that actually mean something every time, and not have piss easy ways of making yourself immune to it (oh boy ANOTHER Ribbon?). On the other hand I did forget about Trio of 9999, which trivializes the game and its only shortcoming is having to let the overdrive gauge fill. Almost every game breaker in FF5 is available before you leave the first world.