OUT OF CONTENT - TIME TO RESTART, RIGHT?

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=138608
post=138603
can people stop saying "I'd rather the game was finished first"

because that is not relevant to this discussion at fucking all

thanks
Sure it is. How isn't it? When thinking up new features, one must always account for the time it actually takes to do so.

because why would we bother talking about adding post-finished game stuff to an unfinished game

it is a topic that doesn't need to be discussed in every single discussion topic ever
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=138617
I guess...I dunno, I never really felt strongly about this sort of thing. I mean, it's nice, but, unless it's built into the game to be an integral part of it Chrono Cross/FF X-2, it's sort of a 'take it or leave it' kinda thing for me.

I can respect that. I'm mostly speaking from the standpoint of having played a lot of games I wish there was more of.
post=138618
post=138608
post=138603
can people stop saying "I'd rather the game was finished first"

because that is not relevant to this discussion at fucking all

thanks
Sure it is. How isn't it? When thinking up new features, one must always account for the time it actually takes to do so.
because why would we bother talking about adding post-finished game stuff to an unfinished game

it is a topic that doesn't need to be discussed in every single discussion topic ever

Not using capital letters doesn't solidify your argument, Craze...

I'm just saying that while this is a cool idea, it obviously takes time. Whether or not you want to do this is up to you. It's definitely not a bad thing! But even if your game is finished, working on post game content is, for obvious reasons, delaying you game actually being out there for people to play. Even if that's not an issue, there is the issue of 'wow, finally I can stop working on this game and release it so I can reap the rewards/have people play it/get a blowjob/find someone to give me a blowjob because I've been spending the time instead working on a video game/bake cakes'

All I'm saying is, that for every piece of content you decide to put in, it's a delay on it being released, and more of your time. It's up for the developer to decide what extra content is worth the time or not. But it's always a factor.
post=138616
The argument is still valid, and Sol managed to sum it up quite nicely at that.

"Hey, uh, you're wrong because this entry in the series(my bad, durp) the example you gave didn't do quite that."

Okay, to contribute more than a smug "heh check your facts"...

I prefer my reward for beating the ultimate challenge to be some kind of cool non-battle feature, like a piece of sideplot or a secret room or an alternate noncanon ending, etc. A gimmicky (to the point that pretty much breaks the rules of the system) piece of equipment/skill will do if the game has a NG+ that wipes your levels.
I dislike the idea of post-game content. To me, a good story has a definitive beginning and end. Sure, the story can continue on within the world or it can start in medias res, but the creator, if they want to tell a good story, needs to set a definitive beginning and end. If the game continues on after the big plot finale, the plot feels as if it is weak and that it is dragging on. It awkwardly lacks a sense of closure. Mentally, I kind of go, "well, okay, so that's it?." If there is actually story-related content after the "ending," then the "ending" really isn't the ending is it?

It's like if a movie kept going after a credits. No, that's what the credits are there for: to give a solidified ending: "This is the end. You can leave now because it's over." Imagine if after the credits you got to watch 12 alternate endings.

Of course, there are the exceptions i.e. Pokémon but I don't play Pokémon for story and Pokémon is fairly unique in its mechanics. You can trade out your most powerful Pokémon and can start from the very bottom again. The collection of Pokémon also gives cause for the game to continue after being the Elite Four, as I don't really think anyone would catch all 151 before winning. (Is it even possible? I don't remember if you need to beat them to get to Mewtwo.)

Even so, once you beat the Elite Four or whatever, it does feel like it just kind of drags on as there is no more story, no more etc. etc. If there are post-game quests that don't have a finalized "ending" it also feels awkward. If I recall correctly, after beating the Elite Four in Gold/Silver/Crystal Version you went back to Kanto and then you could fight Ash, which was kind of like a post-game quest, except after beating him there was a finalized ending. The lack of a sense of closure is really unfulfilling.

(also I didn't read the whole thread yet i am doing that now but i am leaving for a week starting tomorrow)
I'm having a postgame so I have an excuse to throw even tougher shit at the player that would normally become a giant fuckoff roadblock in the main game.
Can't believe I forgot the obvious one used by a few games such as Star Ocean 2 and The Last Remnant.

Once you do the optional content, the final boss's "limiter" is turned off and the final boss fight itself becomes the big bad ultimate challenge, sometimes with a slightly altered ending.
Craze
post=138626
Can't believe I forgot the obvious one used by a few games such as Star Ocean 2 and The Last Remnant.

Once you do the optional content, the final boss's "limiter" is turned off and the final boss fight itself becomes the big bad ultimate challenge, sometimes with a slightly altered ending.

Helllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Visions & Voices

(although Karsu and I didn't even know that those two games did that)

Well, V&V does it like this.

~~~ VISIONS & VOICES CHALLENGE RANKING ~~~

-Intro fight
-Early village encounters
-Forest/cave/swamp encounters
-Mirror world portal encounters
-Late village encounters
-Portal encounters
-Organic Tunnels encounters
-Tier I optional bosses
-Minor Galactivore (the story boss in the Montfort Mansion)
-Tier II optional bosses
-Final boss, weakened version
-Tier III optional bosses
-Final boss, omnipotent version
-Tier IV optional bosses (Czarina, etc.)
-Silent Alex & the Unspeakables (tier IV boss, but wound up being a huge FUCK YOU)
-Final boss, Wicodian-powered version

Everything is optional except the intro fight, the Minor Galactivore and the final boss's weakened version (or omnipotent version, if you're stupid). However, completing the main quest in a timely manner will give you time to explore the portal that takes you to, eventually, the Wicodian. Having it in your inventory gives you a prompt prior to the final boss that asks "would you like to get the shit kicked out of you y/n?" Thing is, the entire game is side content. I don't really know where to say the "post-game" begins, but if I had to choose SOMETHING it would be the portal that only opens if you complete the main quest.

I guess that makes Marlowe a post-game optional character? Huh.

...this incredibly confusing post/brainwave brought to you by: the MOG hunter
post=Chaos
Calunio
durp
If the player wants to play more of your game, there should be more game to play.

This is a pretty terrible argument. Since when do put in exactly what players want? If players wanted me to change the name of my hero or add twelve extra dungeons, I wouldn't do it. You're the creator of your own work and I doubt anyone would specifically not play your game because you lack post-game content.
Craze
You make... adventure games, Azn. Or something like that. Think about games like the Tales of series, where gameplay is key. People want to play more, and so there's usually tons of extra bonus content for people to master. The final boss is there for people who just want the story; the post-game is there for people who want to play around with a fun(?) game.
LouisCyphre
post=138631
This is a pretty terrible argument. Since when do put in exactly what players want? If players wanted me to change the name of my hero or add twelve extra dungeons, I wouldn't do it. You're the creator of your own work and I doubt anyone would specifically not play your game because you lack post-game content.
That's pretty strawman, and taken far out of proportion, and only tangentially related to the topic, which is "If you aren't going to waste all those rewards you've given the player over the course of the game, what post game content should you have?"
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Why does every topic turn into an argument?
post=138636

maybe because YOUR FACE
post=138632
You make... adventure games, Azn. Or something like that. Think about games like the Tales of series, where gameplay is key. People want to play more, and so there's usually tons of extra bonus content for people to master. The final boss is there for people who just want the story; the post-game is there for people who want to play around with a fun(?) game.

I wasn't talking about adventure games and if you actually read my post nothing I said alluded to adventure games. Are you saying RPGs don't have plots? RPGs are just as much about plots and even more so about presentation in some ways. EVEN so, this discussion was never RPG-specific and to say it was is close-minded. Game-design concepts can be spread like butter across the whole slice of game design. (lol simile)

Why wouldn't you stick post-game sidequests within your main game? Such "side" content can fit in the main game or post, but main plot events that tie up the game only fit into the main game. Leaving content after the last of the major plot events is sloppy, awkward, and lacks closure.

Also, I do not only make adventure games and this has never been the case, although last year, yes, I did mainly focus on an adventure game.

post=138633
post=138631
That's pretty strawman, and taken far out of proportion, and only tangentially related to the topic, which is "If you aren't going to waste all those rewards you've given the player over the course of the game, what post game content should you have?"

It's not related to the topic--it wasn't intended to be. It's the same concept of player-pleasing/fanservice type of game development that you were using as your argument.

If you're going to ask where to use those rewards use them against the final boss, or the fights in the final dungeons before the last boss? And also: the game has to end sometime (unless it's an MMORPG or an open-world game like Pokémon)
If you decide the last boss, or like two battles before the last, drops the ultimate sword or whatever that is your own design flaw. You don't need to continuously stack on content for the player to use their items or whatever after the main game when you can just put it in the main game.

An example of "extra-content" that is part of the main game is... Cave Story (although not an RPG.) There is the main "quest" -- defeating the doctor. Then, there is what could be considered in a sense, "post-game" content: the Sacred Grounds. While it seems to be a "post-game" optional sidequest it is really the final major plot point. It brings the background of the plot to the game and it gives backstory to several characters as well as giving the "true" ending.

What calunio said was completely relevant and a pretty strong argument. The beginning and end plot points are there to tie up your game. They're like bookends on a bookshelf. Without them the books will fall over.
O..okay...let's just assume that everything works, the game is complete, and the developer(s) know what they're doing with their time.

I wanna hear some cool ideas, not "is post-game content good? y/n". =(
LouisCyphre
If you're going to ask where to use those rewards use them against the final boss, or the fights in the final dungeons before the last boss? And also: the game has to end sometime (unless it's an MMORPG or an open-world game like Pokémon)
If you decide the last boss, or like two battles before the last, drops the ultimate sword or whatever that is your own design flaw. You don't need to continuously stack on content for the player to use their items or whatever after the main game when you can just put it in the main game.

An example of "extra-content" that is part of the main game is... Cave Story (although not an RPG.) There is the main "quest" -- defeating the doctor. Then, there is what could be considered in a sense, "post-game" content: the Sacred Grounds. While it seems to be a "post-game" optional sidequest it is really the final major plot point. It brings the background of the plot to the game and it gives backstory to several characters as well as giving the "true" ending.

This is all correct and I'll leave that part be.

It's the same concept of player-pleasing/fanservice type of game development that you were using as your argument.

It's not about "WHAT IF ONE PERSON DOESN'T LIKE MY GAME" viewpoint that makes 95% of games fall through - that's a pretty exaggerated assumption. This isn't a general topic that applies to every single game ever.

What calunio said was completely relevant and a pretty strong argument. The beginning and end plot points are there to tie up your game. They're like bookends on a bookshelf. Without them the books will fall over.

So once the final battle is over the world vanishes and everyone dies? There's still things out there, especially if your plot isn't SAVE THE WORLD FROM ULTIMATE EVIL.

(If your ending actually is "the world vanishes and everyone dies", well, shit man more power to you.)
LouisCyphre
post=138641
O..okay...let's just assume that everything works, the game is complete, and the developer(s) know what they're doing with their time.

I wanna hear some cool ideas, not "is post-game content good? y/n". =(
man why don't you post more often seriously
Max McGee
post=138638
post=138636
maybe because YOUR FACE

: (
So once the final battle is over the world vanishes and everyone dies? There's still things out there, especially if your plot isn't SAVE THE WORLD FROM ULTIMATE EVIL.

(If your ending actually is "the world vanishes and everyone dies", well, shit man more power to you.)

Depends on the game. In some games, the end of the game is truly the 'end of the game' for the characters and the plot. For example, in games like Xenogears, or Parasite Eve, the story really is over, when it's over, and in the say, Xenogears example, the plot lines wrapped up in such a way it's mutually exclusive with continuing the game.
Gears no longer work and Ether is nonfunctional. Also the main character is now pretty much omnipotent. And he hates fighting and conflict to begin with. So much for post game content!
Max McGee
wtf we have working hide tags now?