AFTER MASTERING RPG MAKER, WHICH ENGINE WOULD YOU SUGGEST USING

Pages: first 123 next last

I'm fairly familiar with RPG Maker 2003 and would like to cut my teeth on a new engine. How are Game Maker and Map 01? Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated.
Or how about another RPG Maker? XP? VX? Those have an actual programming language in them so you can ease into the real stuff. If you're brave enough you could just dive right into C/C++ with SDL, but that's only if you want to spend quite some time learning. I'd actually just suggest XP/VX.

My wolfie senses tell me there will be a maker flame war.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
post=138707

My wolfie senses tell me there will be a maker flame war.

This is a psychological phenomenon more commonly referred to as "pattern recognition."

Anything beyond the RPG Maker series requires some knowledge of programming to get the most out of it. I'd say trying XP or VX and seeing how you like them.
Yeah I'm guessing moving onto the next generation of rpgmakers is probably the best bet. Unless you're tired of RPGs then something like gamemaker is probably a good idea. Or other maker catered to the specific genre you want to make. (I'm sure there are plenty of genre-specific "makers" out there)
post=138700
I'm fairly familiar with RPG Maker 2003 and would like to cut my teeth on a new engine. How are Game Maker and Map 01? Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated.

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/6232/

what
post=138732
http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/6232/...
what

What indeed.

The more familiar I get with rm2k3, the more I want to use it.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
TC, how about actually trying to make a quality game with the program. Something that makes use of all the features, like Hero's Realm. It is MUCH more satisfying than learning yet another maker.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I was a beta tester on Map01 (if we are talking about the same thing; it bills itself as an action game maker, right?) and it is pretty shit.

I strongly recommend RPG Maker VX. It is like a grown up version of 2k3 that lets you make real games.

Oh god what I am saying flamesplosion in 3, 2, 1...

(Seriously, it is possible to make good games in 2k3. Just harder.)

Edit:

/me reads the topic. Replace my post with:

post=138732
post=138700

what

The Topic title and content are a little confusing. Are you saying you've mastered the Basics of RM2k3? Keep making more 2k3 games. You learn from creation and feedback.
Wow, forgot the user was also the one who didn't know how to use switches. You aren't "fairly familiar" with RPG Maker 2003. If you want to try using XP/VX anyway it's not as though you have to know RPG2003 first.
post=138732
post=138700

what

post=138806
You aren't "fairly familiar" with RPG Maker 2003. If you want to try using XP/VX anyway it's not as though you have to know RPG2003 first.

This.
just use VX anyways. It's better.
Zeph
The OP was pretty clear to me. He's had a run through of 2k3's features, and he's ready to move on.

I think it's misguiding to instruct him to make 2k3 games before moving on to a new maker. If he wants experience making solid games then it's a good idea.

Otherwise, I always support jumping into something more advanced. RPG Maker VX is an ideal choice for the reasons stated above.
post=138907
The OP was pretty clear to me. He's had a run through of 2k3's features...

no he hasn't
Doesn't matter, he should still use VX because
Man, I gotta lose weight.
post=138887

True, scripting is awesome for VX, but I'd suggest XP over VX. Sure, for VX the Scripting is better, but for XP the graphics are better. So you get the best of both worlds, scripting, and graphics.

Of course I'll still stick with the tried and true RM2K3, but that's my personal preference. OR, wait until VX has some better graphics to choose from.

Really, does it matter what system is better anyway? RM2K3 has graphics, XP is a great well rounded maker, and VX has great Scripting, they are all winners in my book. lol
post=138918
post=138887
True, scripting is awesome for VX, but I'd suggest XP over VX. Sure, for VX the Scripting is better, but for XP the graphics are better. So you get the best of both worlds, scripting, and graphics.

Of course I'll still stick with the tried and true RM2K3, but that's my personal preference. OR, wait until VX has some better graphics to choose from.

Really, does it matter what system is better anyway? RM2K3 has graphics, XP is a great well rounded maker, and VX has great Scripting, they are all winners in my book. lol

People tend to recommend VX more because it performs much better than XP does. It's also equally capable in the graphics department, it just takes a little bit of extra effort to make maps look the same as they might in XP.
Pages: first 123 next last