AFTER MASTERING RPG MAKER, WHICH ENGINE WOULD YOU SUGGEST USING

Pages: first prev 123 last
post=139054
http://www.rpgmakerds.com/info.phpYes. It's out in Japan already, I think. I don't know if there are plans to translate it.

Quickly my breatheren, we go to invade Japan!!!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=139137
"Check it out! Now RMDS can do lightmaps natively! I guess you guys won't be needing numbers anymore, right?"

It's like some kind of sadistic Japanese gameshow.
You have to event your own adder and subtracter using nothing but switches and conditional operators!
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=139157
You have to event your own adder and subtracter using nothing but switches and conditional operators!
Binary!

EDIT: This post ended up in a different thread. What the fuck.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
To the OP, I suggest AGS or Game Maker.
Switch tutorials aside (if we haven't totally pissed him off yet, which I couldn't totally blame him) I read his question as more of him being done with RM for the time being. I've only used VX and 95, and can tell you that they feel almost identical, so I'm guessing that all of them share a lot of that. 2003 has a different battle look but I'm guessing it still feels very familar from the point and click side of things?

Anyway, I just wanted to suggest my other program of choice, Games Factory by Clickteam. I don't hear anyone mentioning it so I don't know how it stacks up, but I've been using it since...ugh, since before some of you could talk :( ...when it was called Klik n Play. I can tell you that it's very user friendly, easy to pick up and use. Anything with collisions, like pinball/ballbreak games, side scrolling platforms, anything with different surface reactions it handles beautifully. First person not so much. And as a child, it could only store 3 variables at a time that could only be 0-9 each, so you couldn't do an RPG. Not sure about now, but I doubt you'd ever want to RPG in it with simple programs like RM. But we made Zelda games, Castlevania games, my brother and I just had lots of fun with it.

They've since raised the price...instead of $40, they have three different versions going into the hundreds of dollars, and I heard that in the latest version you can't import graphics on the cheapest one. But you are allowed to sell them with the highest package now. Not sure how this compares to Game Maker since I haven't seen it yet, but at least for casual putzing around I don't think you can go wrong with Games Factory. Even have a relatively simple option to make online multiplayer in it, and there's a browser plug-in for those who don't mind installing. I'm going to buy the high end one next paycheck so I can make my Alice platformer. Though I actually still don't know if I'm allowed to post it here! :D
I still think RMDS could be useless since it won't have scripting or custom resource imports. And if it did, they would be severely limited.
post=139188
I still think RMDS could be useless since it won't have scripting or custom resource imports. And if it did, they would be severely limited.

It definitely wouldn't be as versatile as a PC RM game, but with the DSi having a slot for an SD Card, I'm sure they could support some imported resources.

It'd be limited, but hey, it'd be portable.
.. Nah, I don't think Emptybrain would do something that clever.. Would they?
post=139135
Knowing Enterbrain they probably added 5 new cool features but arbitrarily removed support for something else, like, I dunno, variables.

It's the Microsoft business model, you keep deliberately fucking it up so that people will always have to buy the next version.
Well the order I learned programming went like this:

Flash-->RPG Maker 2k3--->Rpg Maker XP--->RPG Maker Vx

And I have to say that if your looking for something similar to 2k3, you should give VX a shot. If want something completely different, you should look into flash.
I bet you the later RPG Makers will try and integrate PC RPGs and DS RPGs.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I thought XP removed the face functionality.
It did
didn't stop Last Scenario or Exit Fate from using them
...and now we've successfully ruined the joke.

Good work guys! Our job here is done.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Pages: first prev 123 last