ZOOOOM- HOW TO INCREASE THE ATB SPEED IN 2K3 TO INSANE LEVELS

Pages: first 123 next last
What would be the best non-game breaking way to increase the ATB speed in RPG Maker 2003 so that the bars zoom up until someone has to go? I'm thinking of just having it on wait when someone has to decide something, but the ATB speeds are fast when equally matched to enemies to greatly increase battle speeds.

I keep thinking it would be better if the battles were a tad faster. What I most likely need is a patch that increases the battle step speed in RPG_RT.exe, but if there's some in-engine way to do that it would be better. I *really* don't want to hack it myself as I'll probably break something.
Noap, no way to do it. Welcome to 2k3's shitty DBS.
Yes there is a way to do it, I was hoping someone's already patched the step value before I go hacking it all up. Go flamebait another thread.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
He wasn't flamebaiting this thread. Also of note is the fact that narcodis's own game is in RM2k3.

And he also answered correctly because there is no in-engine way to do it.
post=139367
And he also answered correctly because there is no in-engine way to do it.

I was talking about any way, patch or no. What I want to avoid doing is hacking it myself.

Reduce combatants

Enemies or players?
1-3 allies.
1-2 enemies.

Agility no higher than 30 at all times for all allies/enemies with the enemies at half the agility of the allies.That's the easiest way to do it if you don't want to go messing with battle events.

Craze answer: use VX.
That's what I was thinking, I was going to have the enemies move half as often but with attacks that are stronger to balance it out. I already love how you set 500%-1000% for the power hacks so that increasing your stats actually do things, I just wanted battles to be a bit faster.

I'm just messing around really, I wanted to draw things and do level design and make some weird combination of Lufia 2, Etrian Oddesey, Secret of the Stars, and other games. Not even sure I'm going to go anywhere with this.

Obviously I'm not using VX/XP- if I'm going to program I'm going to effen program. And I'm already doing that, this is just me messing around. I doubt I'll even release this game or even talk about it apart from this thread. Hence, why I myself would be less annoyed/annoying if I moved more often.
If you're going to go patch it, then go right ahead. Let us know what happens. I'm interested.
i would also like to see the outcome of this.
Uhh... Well, I kind of have to have enough of this game made before I start looking for the speed step value. I think it's a very bold assumption to make if I think Emptybrain has some constant double in the static area of the EXE image that scales the battle speeds. They can't have been THAT clever you know.

The thing is, this is going to take me longer than what it's worth to me and I know I'm going to cause a collapse in the space-awesome continuum if I succeed and have a really buggy battle engine on my hands.

BUT! If there's suddenly a handful of people that want to know, I think I could spend the time to go digging for the values I seek. There's got to be an ASM step-thru debugger in the overkill of a compiler I got and I know X86. Even if my hack makes the engine unstable to the point of being unplayable, it would still be as funny as overclocking a Sega Genesis.

In the off chance it really is as simple (or as complicated) as I think it is, I'll post my RPG_RT.exe up here for you to use. You should still be able to hack out the EXFONT or the icons if you like doing that without messing with the program code with pretty much whatever you've been using.
Please fix this, WolfCoder. You're our only hope.
All right, all right, I'll give it a whack. I'm not a magician and I'm probably going to mess things up.

It's frozen in the middle of some battle. If I click step fast enough you can hear the MIDI file play. My task is to find some pattern in which four values are being incremented as though they were timers.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I was hoping there was a way to do this without teh haxzorz.

My solution for a couple of games was, basically, give everybody haste (Between Two Worlds; Eldritch). This seemed to work.

Right now the Charge Time Battle System that comes with Melody (sorry kids, VX only) is like the 2k3 DBS only with NO WAITING for bars to fill. Unfortunately, it seems to lag/slowdown kind of a lot.
Well I kind of want status effects too. If it's been too much trouble, I'll leave it alone, but I should at least try teh haxorz. I'm a programmer, not a hacker (as in reverse engineer) though.
I think Emptybrain is going to win this round, there's so much garbage all over the place I can't really get a fix on what I'm editing. It's going to be too much for just one hack, I'm just surprised someone hasn't done this already.

For now, just doing the double/half thing seems to work better. Not as good as I hoped but it is something.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Dude. Emptybrain is the best name ever.

Good try, though. Their stuff is such a mess.
It was a valiant effort. WIP, give this man an achievement.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=139405
Well I kind of want status effects too.

I did not mean give everyone the haste status effect all the time, I meant give PCs access to normally balanced haste spells as early as possible.

Dude. Emptybrain is the best name ever.

I did not think it was very clever.

Also, thanks for trying Wolf Coder.

I've never played (or made) any 2k3 games where this was a huge game breaking issue (or maybe I just quit them so fast they did not register in my memory banks), but it would have been nice to have more control over it.
Pages: first 123 next last