DO YOU PREFER "STRONG" OR "SISSY" PROTAGONISTS?

I really 'prefer' tougher antagonists. I don't mean DUKE NUKEM FUCK YEAH LOOK AT MY BICEPS tough, but main characters that maintain control over their situation, maintain control of themselves, and generally handle their fucking business. They don't even have to LOOK manly; i.e., Zidane of FFIX is a good example of the above. I dislike heroes that look AND act like girls, though.

I think the perfect examples of the type of heroes I like is Geddoe from Suikoden III, Ashley (despite the name) from Vagrant Story, and Gustave from Saga Frontier II. Even Justin from Grandia, in a stunning example of character development goes from pretty much the most unlikable protagonist ever to the fukken man who handles his fucking business.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=142048
Even Justin from Grandia, in a stunning example of character development goes from pretty much the most unlikable protagonist ever to the fukken man who handles his fucking business.

I don't know how much of a parallel this is, but Luke from Tales of the Abyss is similar/eventually likeable and cool, as is Neku from TWEWY (although to a lesser extent).
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I also find it a little funny that not only do we assume the hero needs to be male, but that he needs to be strong physically. I know the vast majority of heroes in video games use either gigantic swords or gigantic automatic machine guns, but what if he's a mage? I might expect him to be a little weakling if he spends 16 hours a day studying. Or if he just fights using a pistol that requires no strength training on his part. A thief character who uses a knife wouldn't need huge muscles, and he'd prefer to look inconspicuous and nonthreatening, but he wouldn't require the rippling biceps to be an effective asskicker. Or maybe the hero is an every day guy who got caught up in something. It wouldn't be expected of a normal guy to look like a bodybuilder.

Anyway this is a cultural thing. In Western RPGs/games the standard of attractiveness is big burly men with twelve pack abs and women with 62 Z breasts wearing nothing but dental floss, because that's what westerners like. In eastern games there is more of an emphasis on cuteness and you'll see generically attractive, androgynous male heroes and overly cutesy (but probably still stacked) female heroes.
you forgot the loli

I prefer 'competent' heroes. Ones that do things that don't make me groan or do completely retarded shit but aren't infallible super geniuses that can do no wrong.
I agree with the idea that the character build should fit the role, Solitayre. However, I do take exception to delicate ladyboy warriors since it is so incongruent. Swinging around a 15 pound 6 foot sword everyday will build muscle.
GRS kinda nailed it. Just give me someone who just sort of knows what he's doing and can intelligently compose himself.
Wimpy-looking protagonists are easier to relate to, for most gamers I've encountered. It adds to the "fantasy" aspect of the game.
"The book Game On: The History and Culture of Videogames cited Ivy as an example of realistic character design affected by "the Japanese 'deformed' aesthetic and the global influence of cartoon animation", noting she made characters such as Lara Croft look "positively monastic" by comparison."

Do any of you remember when Lara Croft was risque and overly sexualized? She seems positively tame now.

post=142066
Wimpy-looking protagonists are easier to relate to, for most gamers I've encountered. It adds to the "fantasy" aspect of the game.
I think it detracts heavily from it. When I play an RPG, I am basically playing a game of make-believe. Why would I want to pretend to be a wimpy scrawny ladyboy?
poor old lara, what happened to her polygon breasts and square booty
post=142056
Anyway this is a cultural thing. In Western RPGs/games the standard of attractiveness is big burly men with twelve pack abs and women with 62 Z breasts wearing nothing but dental floss, because that's what westerners like. In eastern games there is more of an emphasis on cuteness and you'll see generically attractive, androgynous male heroes and overly cutesy (but probably still stacked) female heroes.
A prime example of this sort of cultural difference in games is NIER, which has, in Japan, a sissy ladyboy protagonist named Nier trying to save his sister (or something like that), and in any other place other than Japan, has a super macho man and also father who works out 23/7 (he spends the other hour eating flapjacks) Nier trying to save his daughter (or something like that).
They both wear equally stupid clothing though.

I personally don't care either way as long as the Sissy character isn't too unbearably girly or obnoxious, and the manly character is still a person under all that muscle. I can even withstand either of them wearing incredibly weird clothing as long as that clothing is the norm for all the characters in the game.

If your characters are both girly and wear dumb clothing (I.E. Entire cast of original characters in the Kingdom Hearts series) you've got to have something that is fun enough to trudge through the story for me (I.E. everything else in the Kingdom Hearts series) or I'll probably just stop playing.

But a big muscly character with no brain to back up the brawn is just as boring and uninteresting as a scrawny emo kid. Don't know where video games got the idea that someone that is fit has to be a troglodyte. Maybe all the higher-ups in square enix, etc, were picked on by jocks when they were kids. Anyways, this isn't enough to get me to stop playing the game entirely but I'll probably dread every moment they're on screen.

Since I'm going off on a tangent I'll end this here.
As a serious answer basically echoing GRS, "Protagonists without terminal brain cancer" would also be my choice here. SUPER GENIUS can be fun if used in a deliberately overblown way though! But if you're supposed to relate to a character at all they need to be less than perfect.
I just sort of think that it's sad that Japan just cannot let go of the whole sissy aesthetic to the point where the main character in NIER, the exact same game by by S-E, are pretty much two different people in the Japanese and Western versions.
Solitayre
I have brought up female over-sexualization before, kentona, I think most of you know my stance on it, so I'm not going to derail this thread into a tract on that. Anyway, I think there is too much emphasis on appearance in general, but in a lot of FPS games, you never even see your character at all so the designers settle on a stereotypically super-masculine guy with no personality.

I much prefer character designs that have some actual thought put into them. I think a super excellent example is Gordon Freeman of Half-Life fame. Gordon is a scientist, he is quite athletic but certainly not a bulging, ripping superman, and he wears an armored hazard suit the whole game anyway. He is slender, wears glasses, and certainly isn't a crowning symbol of masculinity at first glance (I personally think they added the beard because he wouldn't have looked manly enough without it.) However, by the end of Half-Life 2 Gordon has proved himself to be nothing short of the manliest man alive, transcending from a normal man to literally a mythical hero. He is a nerd with thick glasses, yet the very mention of his name inspires his allies and terrifies his enemies.
post=142072
I just sort of think that it's sad that Japan just cannot let go of the whole sissy aesthetic to the point where the main character in NIER, the exact same game by by S-E, are pretty much two different people in the Japanese and Western versions.

There's a reason for that besides aesthetics. Spoiler zone.

the Japanese and Western versions are different occurences of the same event separated by 100 years
Tonfa: That's interesting and all, and I can't really judge it too much without the context of the game to play it, but I think that's just Japan trying to justify and handwave the fact that they insist their version gets the sissy-man version. Unless manly NIER is also in Japan.
i prefer not to create one-dimensional characters like this!
Do you prefer "strong" or "sissy" protagonists?
Sticking to either one is bad. I will address the personality side of this, not the looks.

During a game, characters usually go through multiple stages of growth. The events that transpire around them will affect them. The characters they interact with will affect them. If a tragedy happens to a strong character, he will become discouraged and maybe even change completely. The same goes for a character who starts off emotionally weak. Characters should lose hope or pride, but eventually find a way to get back on their feet. Your characters shouldn't be some superhero, they should be human. They will fall, be betrayed, cry, get angry, make mistakes, and eventually rise again. It makes things interesting.

Go back to sprites and the looks problem is 95% solved. 8)

Unless it's Mai Shiranui.
Solitayre
Any character who ever cries or shows weakness for any reason is invariably labeled as "emo."
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Squall is probably my favourite lead from an RPG because although he does have his "HELP ME SAVE RINOA PLZ DO SOMETHING" moment or two (like Solitayre implied, is that so wrong, anyway?) he is mostly an all-in-a-day's-work go-to guy. That's what being a lead in an RPG should be all about IMO; putting the "leader" in "lead", despite common weaknesses.

Come to think of it Cloud wasn't that bad either and apart from impractical Buster Sword I don't know why people hate him so much really.

So yeah, I'd go with a mixture of both I guess. Why give preference to one type of personality? Man is ultimately multi-dimensional anyway.
post=142013
Why can't a scrawny MC pack on the muscle as he levels (assuming he's raising Strength)?

GTA: San Andreas :D Only it's not an rpg...