BOSS SURVIVAL GO

Pages: first 12 next last
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I want your bosses to heal, to cure, to refresh, to revive. Not all of them have to, but I want to see some boss survival tactics - that the boss uses.

If any of you try to emulate Chaos from FF1 I will strangulate you - unless you can come up with a solid reasoning and overall strategy for a similar boss.

Since this is most likely harder than the inflicting-bosses-with-poison topic, I'll get you started with a few methods:

-Boss uses normal heals; they're about 10% of its health. This is best when bosses get more than one action per turn, otherwise it's too much and not threatening (just "uuuuuggghhhh").
-Boss uses a handful of absorption techniques. See: Diablocide's EQUIS APNEES. Want to lower its healing? Just raise your defenses.
-Boss eats minions. Horkos, go! The boss starts with and/or can summon minions, and then later eats them for a sizable heal. This heal can be a bit stronger since a threat is being removed - it's a tradeoff for the enemy party. It also gives the players a choice of "uuuh oh man who do I attack DARN THIS MEANS I HAVE TO THINK")

Gogogo!
I think healing should be preventable by the player. Nothing pisses me off more than a boss healing - the more it heals, the worse!

Number three actually sounds fun, however!
I'd be pissed if I beat the boss to a inch of it's life then it uses a Full Restore...
Player's often spam heals and items when they're losing. Why not bosses to?

Interesting Gimmick #1: Any time the player heals health, the boss will instantly heal itself an equal amount (or whatever depending on your algorithms) Solution: Limit your healing.

Interesting Gimmick #2: Pokemon Pain Split. The boss take's the average percentage of health of all combatants in battle and then average them out. This will either heal him, or inflict damage to him. To make this not cheap, you should notify the player on when the boss is going to attempt this. A countdown or an easy to follow pattern should suffice. Solution: Keep your character's at relatively low health and it will work to your advantage when the boss use this.

Interesting Gimmick #3: Mind Control. If the boss possesses the power of mind control, have him control the most capable healer in your party. Solution: Just kill the controlled healer when he possess him/her.

Interesting Gimmick #4: Run Away and Heal. That's right, have the boss run away in mid battle to some random area in your room or dungeon (whatever) and heal. The longer it takes for the player to find the boss, the more the boss will heal. Solution: Put your ass in gear and hurry up and find the boss before he fully heals.
Craze
Haha, those are all cool, but the last one sounds pretty awesome for a werewolf battle in a forest or something.

thedjt: Hence the "NO FF1 CHAOS" rule.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=142397
"NO FF1 CHAOS" rule.

fuck you, sir

Substance: If your boss is a human (such as a former PC or PC-to-be), why can't they have full heals in their arsenal like the party does? Then, assuming their HP is comparable with the party's, they'd have to fight like the party does to avoid one-turn kills.
I don't like idea no 4 too much, but 1,2 and 3 a pretty cool.

Also, what's this FF1 Chaos business?

post=142398
If your boss is a human (such as a former PC or PC-to-be), why can't they have full heals in their arsenal like the party does? Then, assuming their HP is comparable with the party's, they'd have to fight like the party does to avoid one-turn kills.

Because Full Heals are annoying!
LouisCyphre
You don't realize how easy it is for a party to one-shot one of their members in almost any RPG, do you? Take four of those and put them on the enemy side, and suddenly you have to apply tactics in order to win.

I'm not talking about FF1 Chaos full-healing his 2000 HP to your ~400 damage a turn, I'm talking another party of adventurers healing 999 HP to your ~1000 damage a turn - deal with their members as best you can.

E: Why not steal their items, like in the first fight with Seymour in FFX?
Well, there's the tried-and-true FF method of having 2 states for the boss - one regular one where he tries to beat the living shit out of you, and another where he absorbs anything you throw at him and then counter-attacks instantly with a energy attack if you attack him. Solution: do NOT attack him when he is in the second state.
LouisCyphre
post=142404
Well, there's the tried-and-true FF method of having 2 states for the boss - one regular one where he tries to beat the living shit out of you, and another where he absorbs anything you throw at him and then counter-attacks instantly with a energy attack if you attack him. Solution: do NOT attack him when he is in the second state.
I'd give that boss a berserk spell.
The boss could have a heal, but you need to keep them silenced, or cast a reflect spell on them? Like Asura from FFIV.
Have the boss drain health with every regular attack. That way, either decreasing his attack, evasion and/or a higher defence stat could be viable. Of course, your party could simply out-dps him but I suggest a pretty strong, multi-action dude for it to work.
- Boss casts regen. Work those dispels!
- Boss uses an elemental attack it absorbs to hit both sides of the field.
- Boss casts heals or revives minions off a limited mana pool.
- Boss casts heals or revives minions but can be silenced.
- Boss has a dedicated minion squad on support duty.

Just a few typical methods.
Trying to be creative...

Have a plant like boss that has a tentacle or branch arm that can capture your allies. Whenever the boss gets low on health or something it will grab an ally (removing them from the party) and drain that users health. When that users health hits zero or hits a certain percentage, it will throw the ally back on the ground, with a possibility of being unconscious. If you wanted, maybe you could be able to save the ally before they die somehow. Also makes you think twice before healing up, since the more health an ally has means more health for the boss.

uhm, that's all for now. I was thinking of some idea with food, where the boss would eat (heal) but eventually get full. Tthe less food it had the more angry it would be (attack up), but the more full it got, the less angry it would get. I have no idea how this would work, though!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
The problem is that for a (solo) boss fighting multiple characters a heal of any kind is rarely worth losing an entire turn unless it can offset the damage done by all PCs in one turn, in which case it just becomes annoying. And for instance, a boss that cures itself of poison every time it's poisoned is easy to keep in stasis. Just keep poisoning it and forcing it to waste its turn.

So you do have to get kind of creative with this. Multiple turns help. ALOT.
Hm, I once had a boss that had an item pack like the heroes did and when their health got low/they got status effected they used the appropriate healing item. It also had sprites and battle animations to show the use of said items and a random amount of items that got depleted as they were used. I was rather proud of that one. ^.^

There is a boss in RealmS that will annihilate the party and leave - never to be fought again. Just for fun/frustration and plots sake. And there is the use of limited items in duels.

Some monsters when paired with other monsters will eat them to replenish life. And have self-healing spells/skills, of course. Also, photosynthesis for plants when it's day time - in fact there's a hidden boss that will kill you if you fight it during the day. You gotta kill that sucker at night, though he's harder to find then.

I like the run away idea a lot.
Most of the basic ideas have already been mentioned, but my own two cents:

A previous poster mentioned 'photosynthesis' - light-based healing, presumably per round.

Why stop with that one? Why not have other forms of field-based healing?
Hydrosynthesis - water-healing. Active when raining, or on water-based fields. Presumably coupled with Absorb::Water.
Cryosynthesis - ice-healing. Active when snowing, or on cold-based fields. Absorb::Ice
Lomasythesis - fog-healing. Name derived from a term for certain types of plants which obtain a fair portion their water from the fog in the air, rather than through their roots.

Or how about scenarios where the conditions are -phobic or -aversive, rather than -sythetic? Where an enemy constantly heals, unless in the presence of such a substance? Modern-day folklore, for example, credits vampires with an excessive form of Photophobia - strong aversion to light. And aren't trolls supposed to regen from almost anything except for burns in some game systems?

Properly, these need the ability to change the field conditions, ala Pokemon's Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Hail, or Sandstorm skills - but it does add an extra bit of strategy into the equation.
preferably you also need a glitched acid rain condition
would it be wrong to have bosses that drops players levels i'v been thinking abut it for a while now
but im sure the player's would be pissed if i added level debuffs plus lowering the chance of that skills not being used should put the players ass in gear to Finnish the fight faster. XD

my Boss Formulas: (>.> sadly it'll take a while to event a lvl debuff skill through common event or you can drop everyones lvl with out wasting time through conditional branches)
paralyzing skill+lvl debuff
instant death+paralyzing +lvl debuffs (the player trys reviving the others but they are suddenly paralyzed >:} that would piss me off)
(all)Speed debuff+haste+paralyze+ lvl debuff +heals (bosses don't have to get 1 turn only if there fast >:})
(i love unfair fights as long as i don't need to fight them)
my favorite formula:
Spam reinforcements with high defensive power +heals >:} or revives (i have tried this it works if you do it right.)

fits well since my character's learn their skills from a skill tree.
Craze
As long as the level loss isn't permanent (although it could potentially stay until you rest), I think it's fine. FF5, go!
Pages: first 12 next last