REVEAL YOUR SECRETS: WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR IDEAS?

Pages: first 123456 next last
I just said in another topic, playing other people's games (or commercial games) gives us inspiration, or even very specific ideas, to do stuff in our own games.

My question: where (what game) did you get the ideas you use in your games?

I'll start.

The torture tiles puzzle I used in Beautiful Escape was a direct adaptation of kentona's My Pet Zombie puzzle in Befuddle Quest 4 Dead, which I loved (the puzzle... the game too, actually). It's kinda like... a complete rip off. The only difference is that in kentona's puzzle, tiles change the zombie's direction... well, some tiles also do other stuff. In my game, tiles only do other stuff. But I did read through kentona's codes and copied them almost to the letter. :D

Marvel Brothel was inspired by two games... one is a Hentai Sim Brothel, which is another brothel simulator. The other one is Theme Park. I always loved the feeling of crowdedness in Theme Park, the fact that you had to manage a place full of clients, each own minding their own business. I tried to make something similar.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
When I was writing for Avarice, Dhux's Scar was a huge influence, particularly for the idea of making a villainous protagonist. For this reason, the opening scene of Avarice is a direct plagiarism an homage to Dhux's Scar's intro.
My affection system was inspired from Fire Emblem's support system. I love the system to death because it allowed for an infinite amount of re-playability, quenched my thirst for "collecting" things, build character development for the character's you liked, and significantly added more strategy/effect into the actual gamplay.

I made a Game Room area in my game similar to the game corner in Pokemon, where you can chill out from the main quest, play some mini-games, and earn some exclusive and fun items.

The "item wait" aspect of my real time battle system was borrowed from the Tales series. Because the battle system is real time, this was a way of restricting the player from spamming items all the time. Since in ATB or Turn Based systems have you sacrifice a turn in using items, this was the best solution for a completely real time system.
The battle system in my game was inspired by a combination of Chess(Character Roles), Yu-Gi-Oh (Field Design and constant power) and common traditional RPG battle mechanics.

Although it did not directly inspire me. I noticed that the Megaman Battle network series uses a similar field as my battle system.

Yu-Gi-Oh also inspired a lot of the abilities in the ability system I designed, since some abilities are activated under certain conditions.

Active Encounter modes was also inspired by chess. Each map is treated like a global opponent and the more enemies you defeat in it, the less pieces this opponent would have to throw at you.

The Color Affinity for ability bonuses was inspired by a friend who is an artist, he was explaining to me something about opposing colors.
post=144422
My affection system was inspired from Fire Emblem's support system. I love the system to death because it allowed for an infinite amount of re-playability, quenched my thirst for "collecting" things, build character development for the character's you liked, and significantly added more strategy/effect into the actual gamplay.

This has to be my favorite feature of any RPG of all time. Path of Radiance executed this so well. I tried implementing this in one of my older projects and it was a lot of fun as well.

My current project though borrows a lot from the overhead Zeldas, mainly the old Oracle games from the Gameboy Color. That whole nicely-packaged adventure/puzzle/battle mix combined with a slew of amazing items really made it great.

Apart from that, let's look at my old RM2K projects... I know my sci-fi themed contest entry is heavily influenced by Megaman Zero just because that's one of the only sci-fi games I've played to the end recently.

That really bad 2week game Lament of a Pactkeeper borrowed the whole "inexplicable RPG" thing from the Final Fantasy Legend gameboy cart. It's a great atmosphere. The items have no descriptions, there are a bunch of intricate and completely unexplained mechanics, and the game supports a bunch of character customization through a three race plus shapeshifter system. I guess I loved the aspect of exploring mechanics as much as exploring the world.
post=144421
When I was writing for Avarice, Dhux's Scar was a huge influence, particularly for the idea of making a villainous protagonist. For this reason, the opening scene of Avarice is a direct plagiarism an homage to Dhux's Scar's intro.

... no wonder i thought that was familiar
I got my initial ideas for Total & Complete Chaos from Take Down Legacy: Remix, and I got the idea for Vanity by playing a cancelled Killer 7 fan-game that I absolutely loved.
My currently untitled RM VX game is getting ideas from Persona (In terms of algorithms) and Sacred Earth in terms of being a dungeon crawler.

My cancelled RM2K3 game Battlethorm took inspiration from old FF's and Destiny of an Emperor

And I can't thnk of anything I've got my idea for a Sci-Fi-ish game from atm, cept maybe FFXIII for the battle system, although I'd thought up the initial system before I knew exactly how FFXIII's worked.
Hello.

Compiling a list of all the references in Hero's Realm would take too long, but the obvious influences are Dragon Warrior III and IV, with a little FFV thrown in.
The idea of Grimms came from a combination of Grim Fandango and Disgaea.
Linus' story was inspired by English boarding schools , and also by a bunch of books-- namely the "A Song Of Ice And Fire" series by G.R.R Martin.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
All of my projects are infused with Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy X-2. Hell, Diablocide is just FFX-2 with people inside of the dresspheres*.

*Okay so there actually are people inside of the dresspheres (Maechen in Black Mage, Lenne in Songstress; others are arguable depending on the unique weapons used, etc. - Rikku as a Dark Knight uses Auron's Masamune, and Paine's Dark Knight victory pose is the same as Cloud's), but yeah.
My inspirations:

Storyline and Setting:
Hunter X Hunter

Battle System:
Grandia Series
Xenosaga
World of Warcraft

My photo system and "Items age over time" System was inspired by Baten Kaitos.
Blue was inspired by Liberal Crime Squad, the hacking minigame in Shadowrun, Neuromancer and Blade Runner.

Probably. And a bit of that murder mystery board game that took place on a train that I played a long time ago.

Ideas come from everywhere. Especially story ideas. They're basically just some kind of combination of stuff I've heard/read a long time ago and the most recent thing I've heard/read.

EDIT:
One thing I've noticed is that the most recent thing I've read/seen almost always impacts me in my immediate ideas. After reading a book by China Miéville I find myself swearing a bit more. After watching Babylon 5 I find myself in space opera mode and after reading Starship Troopers I find myself to be a pro fascist military man. It's really quite strange how these things affect me so immediately. I'm probably very impressionable.
No RM games have inspired my work thus far, but I remain optimistic that it will happen soon.
post=144536
No RM games have inspired my work thus far, but I remain optimistic that it will happen soon.

I think you're not limited to RM games in terms of inspiration.
Harbinger's primary game mechanic is based around Valkyrie Profile's and Knights in the Nightmare's einherjar and transoul systems, but hopefully less shoddy. Honestly there is no resemblance beyond the concept of permanent character removal. There are a lot of things derived from that that I cannot really place as far as a direct inspiration.

The story takes some inspiration from the above games, but also from Lovecraft and stories akin to George R.R. Martin's works.

I cannot think of an RM* game that has influenced this.
post=144525
One thing I've noticed is that the most recent thing I've read/seen almost always impacts me in my immediate ideas. After reading a book by China Miéville I find myself swearing a bit more. After watching Babylon 5 I find myself in space opera mode and after reading Starship Troopers I find myself to be a pro fascist military man. It's really quite strange how these things affect me so immediately. I'm probably very impressionable.
This goes double for me, except replace those movies/books/shows with things like games like KOTOR, FFVI and books like Shannara and Wheel of Time.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
My art, usually.
Pages: first 123456 next last