QUICK & DIFFERENT, EVERY TIME (GAME CONCEPT)

Pages: first 12 next last
The purpose of this topic is two-fold:
1. Get advice for creating a game in a relatively short period of time (I am aiming for 2-3 months or less)
2. Get feedback on the basic concept for my game.

I have long been searching for a way to get a nice, quick game under my belt so that I can finally receive critique, advice, etc. from the community on a product that I have actually deemed as "finished." So far, my ideas have been proven implausible due to a lack of resources, help, and the limitations of my engines of choice. My latest idea, however, is one that I believe I can actually transform into a decent game and do so in a nice amount of time.

My concept for my game is simple: every time you play it, it will be different. The dungeons you visit, the way those dungeons are set up, the shops you visit, the bosses you fight, etc. will all be randomly generated to provide new challenges with each playthrough. While there are obviously some limitations to this, the point is to make a unique experience each time. For example, you may end up fighting the same boss at the end of the game, but the dungeons you cleared to get there would be different from the last time you played. The storyline is, due to the high flexibility of the game, not going to be the main focus of the game.

Also, it is important to note that the ideal playtime for each playthrough would not exceed a couple hours. The game is meant to serve as a quick burst of fun.

To create this game, I simply want to create a basic infrastructure for the game, and from that point, let it create itself (if that makes any sense).

So, with all of that in mind, I seek your help in the form of feedback on the actual concept and advice to help create this in 2-3 months or less. If any elaboration is needed, I would be glad to provide it.

EDIT: I am using RM2k3 to create this game and it will be an RPG. (Just to clarify)
Procedural generation is probably what you're thinking of. Seems to be gathering a lot of popularity as far as game design goes.

As far as the rest of your stuff goes... In what area of game design do you specialize? There are a lot of proc gen stuff that are rather difficult unless you know your way around some moderately involved algorithms. Also, engine choice/genre would be nice. I'd think it would be easier to make a platformer like this than an RPG, but I'd much rather see a crawer (and I think that's what you're implying?)

Also, I guess I'm up for helping out with this if you flesh out the details a bit more (and need someone for software/sprite/sound/whatever). Sounds fun.
Yes, procedural generation seems to be exactly what I am attempting here. As far as what area of game design that I specialize in, the answer is none. I am not very experience as far as programming goes, so that is why I am using RM2k3 to create this. I realize this is definitely not the most efficient way of going about this, but I have been working with it for years and I'm not too willing to learn a language just yet, haha.

I am aiming to create a crawler of sorts, yes. Basically, every dungeon would be a series of individual rooms (each is separate; there is not one collective map) and what occurs in those rooms is all randomly generated.

If you were interested in helping, I would be able to provide much more detail, although the concept is still in its earlier stages and lacking TOO many details.
Randomly generated in RPG Maker? The most random you're going to get is to make lots of maps and make the exits link up randomly... but then why not just make a longer game?
post=145364
Randomly generated in RPG Maker? The most random you're going to get is to make lots of maps and make the exits link up randomly... but then why not just make a longer game?

Not true. It would probably require an overhaul of the movement system and using pictures for wall segments, but I can see a system where it can be done.
I strongly disagree with you Pokemaniac. I already have a system devised that takes random panoramas based on the dungeon you are in and combines them with generators that will create what happens in the randomized room. It is entirely possible with the set up I am using, and once I get more work done on it, I can provide some screenshots to help explain how it works. Basically, it's a lot of fun with variables and conditional branches. :]

Chaos, it's good to hear that this sort of game would be enjoyable, if executed correctly. I can't quite say I've played a game that did what I am on this scale before, so I didn't want to rely on guessing, haha. If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear them.
Well, sounds time-consuming to me. Do you think you'll be able to meet your time limit with a process like that?
Actually, if done right, you could save a huge amount of time. It's more difficult with a restricted engine like 2k3, but still definitely very much possible. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
As long as you give the player a reason to retry with different characters than yeah that would be interesting to play.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
So your question is "is a roguelike worth making" and the answer is obviously "potentially, sure, but we need more info than just the genre". There are plenty of people who play nothing but roguelikes. But you need a battle system and an ability-learning system and other such nonsense, or at least an original/unusual idea, before you really have anything for us to provide feedback on.
@Pokemaniac: I already have a large part of the infrastructure set into place, and I actually find it easier to create that a normal game. All the rooms types I have so far are relatively easy to create, and the only rooms that may be time consuming to make would be puzzle/mini-game rooms I'm (hopefully) going to work in.

@Neok: Thanks for your support. I have found a sort of method that is seeming to save a lot of time already, so I believe it will all work out. :]

@thedjt: Multiple characters is something I have definitely been considering and it will likely be put into place. One of the more obvious ways I planned on varying up each playthrough was simply changing what dungeons you visit. For example, one playthrough you may go to a forest, a castle, and a cave, but in the next you may go to a beach, some ruins, and a volcano. I do agree, though, that different characters would greatly increase the playability.

@LockeZ: Agreed. I was unaware that my idea could simply be boiled down into that one term, because (as blasphemous as this may sound) I've never played a roguelike. Otherwise, I would have provided some of the more intimate details of the concept. I will definitely be sure to update/post once I get some more developed.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
yeah like no matter what if you're creating enough content to make random/procedural generation meaningful, there is NO WAY this will be a quick project.

what you're attempting is probably impossible.
nothing is impossible! not if you can imagine it!
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
It's not impossible, but RM2k3 probably isn't the ideal engine for this. Also I am not sure "procedurally-generated" is technically the correct term for what you're talking about but I am not going to pretend to be an expert.
@Max McGee: While it may not end up being created in the ideal time limit, I still find this project to be one that could be finished in a reasonable amount of time and to be very possible.

@Geodude: Thanks for your...inspiring...words, haha.

@Solitayre: I have already agreed that RM2k3 is not the most efficient or even necessarily most capable engine, but it is what I am using, for reasons already mentioned. And I am not completely sure that's the proper term either, haha. Oh well. ;]
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Set variables equal to random number between 1 and 9. If variable is 1, teleport to map A. 2, Map B. Etc. Create switches if you've already explored that map, so that there are no duplicates.
post=145557
Set variables equal to random number between 1 and 9. If variable is 1, teleport to map A. 2, Map B. Etc. Create switches if you've already explored that map, so that there are no duplicates.
This is not the same as randomly generating. This way, you're making 9 times more game then the player will ever see. Why not make 9 games, or a 9 times longer game?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Randomization does inherently make the game longer because it causes people to play it more than once. However, making all the maps by hand instead of generating them definitely does cause the game to take a much longer time to design. But it also usually makes them look much nicer, unless you're incredibly good at making scripts to generate maps, or incredibly bad at creating normal non-random maps.

Children of Mana is a modern commercial game with randomly generated dungeons that simply strings pre-drawn maps together instead of actually generating them. The result is that the maps look really nice but it's not particularly strong on the replay value. Though the total lack of any interesting gameplay mechanics after the first few hours of the game is perhaps the primary problem with its replay value. A good randomly generated game needs to make things continue to be interesting and challenging even after you've been playing it a long time, and in Children of Mana, after about halfway though the game there's almost nothing left to do except build your stats in a predictable and predetermined manner so that you can kill the higher-level palette swaps of the enemies.

OP: If you have not played any roguelikes I would recommend trying a couple before you get too far. Diablo 2 is a popular and accessible commercial one - so simple to understand and so well-made that you could play it for months and never realize it's a roguelike. But it very much is. Most games that people think of as roguelikes are either ooooold or are amateur games. Elona is a pretty decent one, free to play, it feels a lot like a classic roguelike so it'll give you some ideas, but it's relatively new so the difficulty is more reasonable and the interface is less horrible and it works properly on modern operating systems. Only problem is, last time I played it there were some parts that weren't translated, but that was almost a year ago so I think it's fixed by now.
Pages: first 12 next last