COMPOSER NEEDS FEEDBACK

Pages: first 12 next last
So... I've always wanted to make a video game soundtrack ever since I started learning music. I don't mean making music for a big commercial game, mind you, just an indie game such as the type you find on here.

I know my compositions aren't complete utter shit. However, it would be arrogant of me to assume that people would want to use them for their video games, since this is my first time doing it.( I've written lots of music, just not for games, which is why I have come here.)

A lot of you are game designers( and some of you composers), right? I need some feedback! What do my compositions need? What am I doing wrong? What am I doing right? C'mon, tear my work apart like a pack of wild wolves!

http://www.midishrine.com/midi/35980.mid

This is something I feel could be used as a battle theme in a sci-fi/ fantasy sort of game.

http://www.midishrine.com/midi/35981.mid

This is something I think could be used for either a cave level, or an abandoned temple or some such.

But, then again, what do I know? That's why I came here. To tell the truth, I'm a bit nervous, but no guts no glory, right?

( And just for kicks...http://www.myspace.com/mikebell96 this is some of the music I've made I know is good. But it wasn't made for games.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The first song sounds just as appropriate for a high-energy dungeon (like a final dungeon) or a cut scene of a war as for an actual battle. Compare the song played when escaping from Lufia 2's final dungeon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbQL_b18Wzc It feels very similar to your song to me, which is a good thing because that's one of the best tracks in the whole game! (Along with The Last Duel)

I feel both of your songs start out too slow, that they need to change sooner or they risk becoming irritating. Especially in an RPG, where the music changes often and hearing more than 20 seconds of a song is rare. Although there are situations where a longer song is usable, it seems to me that your song will have the most potential uses in games if it starts out fast and stays consistant after that.

In both cases the songs could stand to be busier. This is more true of the second one. The first one is better, but those quick repeating high notes in the background still get irritating when there's nothing else going on in the song. I don't know anything about composing music so I don't know if that's really a good way to fix it. But I know that's how I feel.

The first one is one I'd be much more likely to actually use. If I used the second song, it would be on a desolate world map for a post-apocalyptic science fiction game, or some other very low-energy setting. Possibly a gloomy sewer resistance hideout? Probably not a dungeon, unless the dungeon had no battles.
first song: the ostinato is way too repetitive and too long at the beginning. not enough melody (you want a battle theme to be something that'll get stuck in a player's head). not enough "energy" or "action" for a battle theme, violin needs a lot more "push" in having a battle-ish melody. rhythm section needs to be a lot more prominent and driving.
if I were to use this, I wouldn't use it as a battle theme, i'd probably use it at a "vital" cutscene where a lot of plot motion is happening

second: build-up is way too long to be background music of an area, and the whole song is generally too empty for the most part, needs more melody too, rather than just a few long notes repeated
post=145446
The first song sounds just as appropriate for a high-energy dungeon (like a final dungeon) or a cut scene of a war as for an actual battle. Compare the song played when escaping from Lufia 2's final dungeon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbQL_b18Wzc It feels very similar to your song to me, which is a good thing because that's one of the best tracks in the whole game! (Along with The Last Duel)

I feel both of your songs start out too slow, that they need to change sooner or they risk becoming irritating. Especially in an RPG, where the music changes often and hearing more than 20 seconds of a song is rare. Although there are situations where a longer song is usable, it seems to me that your song will have the most potential uses in games if it starts out fast and stays consistant after that.

In both cases the songs could stand to be busier. This is more true of the second one. The first one is better, but those quick repeating high notes in the background still get irritating when there's nothing else going on in the song. I don't know anything about composing music so I don't know if that's really a good way to fix it. But I know that's how I feel.

The first one is one I'd be much more likely to actually use. If I used the second song, it would be on a desolate world map for a post-apocalyptic science fiction game, or some other very low-energy setting. Possibly a gloomy sewer resistance hideout? Probably not a dungeon, unless the dungeon had no battles.

Your comment about my songs needing to be busier is interesting to me, since I was actually kind of afraid of people saying the dynamic in my songs change too much. Maybe that's just because of the games I play, I dunno. But you're the person who would be a potential client, so I'll listen to you.

post=145446

That was kind of the vibe I was going for. Slow, low energy( which is what I would think a cave or an abandoned temple level would be like) so that's good news to me.

Nevertheless, I shall take all this into mind. Especially the part about the irritating high notes. Thanks for the feedback, man, I appreciate it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
When I say busier, I don't mean it should necessarily change more, but rather have more things going on at once. More instruments, I guess. Like I said I'm not a composer and there's a strong possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about! But the repeating background with the high notes sounds fine as long as there are other sounds playing at the same time, it only irritates me when it's the only thing playing.
post=145450
first song: the ostinato is way too repetitive and too long at the beginning. not enough melody (you want a battle theme to be something that'll get stuck in a player's head). not enough "energy" or "action" for a battle theme, violin needs a lot more "push" in having a battle-ish melody. rhythm section needs to be a lot more prominent and driving.
if I were to use this, I wouldn't use it as a battle theme, i'd probably use it at a "vital" cutscene where a lot of plot motion is happening

second: build-up is way too long to be background music of an area, and the whole song is generally too empty for the most part, needs more melody too, rather than just a few long notes repeated

So, first song needs more balls, and second tune needs more melody and more stuff going on in it. Gotcha. I'll work on both of them, and show you guys the reworked versions. If that's OK.

PS, LockeZ, I've just started composing music for games myself, so I'm not exactly an expert either. That's why I asked for criticism instead of telling people " HAI GUYZ IMMA COMPOZER UZE MAH MUZIK IN UR GAMEZ ITZ AWESOME".
The first one would make a nice techno-ey dungeon music just the way it is, IMO. The first few seconds of it do get a bit grating, but I kind of like it the way it is, tbh. I like level music to be somewhat repetitive. This fits the bill. Some people might complain about that very thing, mind you.

The second one... Might be a good for like a sinister plot cutscene where badguys are planning things... I can't think of much else it'd be good for. Caves or temples in my game (or most games I guess) tend to have enemies in them, and it just doesn't have enough energy to convey that IMO. Also, it doesn't loop very well. If it were to be used as a quiet cave theme where there were no monsters or fighting, the atmosphere it creates is ruined by bad looping.

Again, totally love the first one. XD
The thing that makes me happy is that I know my tracks are at least usable, so I know I can at least make good sounding music.

However, you all pointed out to me that that they're not usable for the things I intended them to be used for, which, if I want to do video game composition... isn't good, since people will want me to compose to the situation given to me rather than just come up with something that sounds good in itself.

So, I've reworked the battle theme I wrote. If any of you are willing, would you tell me if this sounds more like a battle theme?

http://midishrine.com/midi/36060.mid

( Again, thanks for the feedback. Your comments really help me out.)
That sounds a lot more like a battle theme now, that's for sure.
LockeZ
Oh wow, that works so much better. Now I'm actually really tempted to use it.
I will agree with the others that your reworked song now sounds more like a battle theme, but I feel like the more drawn out portions that first appear around 0:26 kind of draw away from the energy of the song. If you shortened the notes by about half so that it goes through those portions faster, I feel like that will keep energy going and uphold the theme of the song better.
It definitely sounds more like a battle theme for sure... however there are still many reasons I wouldn't use it over alternatives. First off, the rhythm section still needs a lot more kick and complexity too it. Especially, during the long sections, those areas might work better with emphasized drums.
Listen to the FF6 battle theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOs1VdW4og Notice how the drums there have more of a "kick" to them. This is partially because the FF6 battle is a higher tempo but also the rhythm section syncs up with the melody.
Secondly, the player is going to spend a lot of time battling. The main melody you have going is kind of a very fast-paced violin thing, but it's not incredibly memorable. The parts where the brass joins in and the notes are a bit more drawn out are the best parts of the melody. However, the sections where it is just the violin playing quickly need more rhythmic variation and it needs to be more memorable.
And lastly, the intro needs a lot more of a sense of speed and build-up. Listen to the FF6 intro again, it just starts off with that "whoooooom" sound really quickly, then instantly goes into a drum and I think guitar beat right away to build intensity--and it's the kind of thing you would hum in your head while thinking of FF6 battles. Another good sample is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFMc40qxJK4 from Golden Sun. The buildup lasts about 3 seconds and it's a sort of rushing, cascading upwards, crescendoing buildup that instantly transitions into the main theme, a very intense way to start off a battle. To talk about what you have... it's nice sounding, but it is not particularly memorable or intense, and it needs a bit more distinction from the main theme to make the player go "BATTLE TIME GO GO GO."

It's not bad, but if you get what I'm saying... but it doesn't particularly stand out as a super recognizable and catchy battle theme.
post=123020
Oh wow, that works so much better. Now I'm actually really tempted to use it.

I say go ahead, mang!

post=1203210
It definitely sounds more like a battle theme for sure... however there are still many reasons I wouldn't use it over alternatives. First off, the rhythm section still needs a lot more kick and complexity too it. Especially, during the long sections, those areas might work better with emphasized drums.
Listen to the FF6 battle theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOs1VdW4og Notice how the drums there have more of a "kick" to them. This is partially because the FF6 battle is a higher tempo but also the rhythm section syncs up with the melody.
Secondly, the player is going to spend a lot of time battling. The main melody you have going is kind of a very fast-paced violin thing, but it's not incredibly memorable. The parts where the brass joins in and the notes are a bit more drawn out are the best parts of the melody. However, the sections where it is just the violin playing quickly need more rhythmic variation and it needs to be more memorable.
And lastly, the intro needs a lot more of a sense of speed and build-up. Listen to the FF6 intro again, it just starts off with that "whoooooom" sound really quickly, then instantly goes into a drum and I think guitar beat right away to build intensity--and it's the kind of thing you would hum in your head while thinking of FF6 battles. Another good sample is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFMc40qxJK4 from Golden Sun. The buildup lasts about 3 seconds and it's a sort of rushing, cascading upwards, crescendoing buildup that instantly transitions into the main theme, a very intense way to start off a battle. To talk about what you have... it's nice sounding, but it is not particularly memorable or intense, and it needs a bit more distinction from the main theme to make the player go "BATTLE TIME GO GO GO."

It's not bad, but if you get what I'm saying... but it doesn't particularly stand out as a super recognizable and catchy battle theme.

Still not ballsy enough for you, eh?( Ballsy and fast is the best way I can sum it up) Cool! Back to the lab then. I'mma get this shit spot on for ya as if ye hired me to do it!

post=12302302
I will agree with the others that your reworked song now sounds more like a battle theme, but I feel like the more drawn out portions that first appear around 0:26 kind of draw away from the energy of the song. If you shortened the notes by about half so that it goes through those portions faster, I feel like that will keep energy going and uphold the theme of the song better.

How about I cut the drawn out notes in half, and add, like, blast beats or something... would that work?
Cutting them in half would help, I believe. Not entirely sure if blast beats are necessary to keep the flow going, but that could be one way to do it. haha :]
post=145368
So... I've always wanted to make a video game soundtrack ever since I started learning music. I don't mean making music for a big commercial game, mind you, just an indie game such as the type you find on here.

I know my compositions aren't complete utter shit. However, it would be arrogant of me to assume that people would want to use them for their video games, since this is my first time doing it.( I've written lots of music, just not for games, which is why I have come here.)

A lot of you are game designers( and some of you composers), right? I need some feedback! What do my compositions need? What am I doing wrong? What am I doing right? C'mon, tear my work apart like a pack of wild wolves!

This is something I feel could be used as a battle theme in a sci-fi/ fantasy sort of game.

This is something I think could be used for either a cave level, or an abandoned temple or some such.

But, then again, what do I know? That's why I came here. To tell the truth, I'm a bit nervous, but no guts no glory, right?

( And just for kicks...http://www.myspace.com/mikebell96 this is some of the music I've made I know is good. But it wasn't made for games.)

post=145368
So... I've always wanted to make a video game soundtrack ever since I started
learning music. I don't mean making music for a big commercial game, mind you, just an indie game such as the type you find on here.

They sound rad man i dont know if anyones said this but peoples taste are different. some will likey some wont. if you're going for more classical orientated type music a la the early FF, adding apeggio's are nice (diminished arps are wicked for adding tension) harmonization is all good too. using it in the right place is the key though (there are many types of harmonization, minor thirds, the reletaive minor/major harmony or just next octave up/down) adding more layers (instruments) to get a more fuller sound. and the songs themsleves dont necessarily need to have tempo changes unless its a track for a specific scene in the game. If you've got a good grounding on music theory you should know what im blabbing on about.

If you already know all this, ignore what i said ;)
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
general h, i gotta say, i respect your attitude. you take constructive criticism like a champ.
post=146101
general h, i gotta say, i respect your attitude. you take constructive criticism like a champ.

this, so much
Sweet myspace track, man.
What gear are you using? And what do you record with?

I just got a BOSS ME-70 pedal that plugs right into my comp, but I have no idea what the best recording programs are.
post=146109
Sweet myspace track, man.
What gear are you using? And what do you record with?

I just got a BOSS ME-70 pedal that plugs right into my comp, but I have no idea what the best recording programs are.

I have a little Fender London Reverb amp( Think Fender solid state combo) and a boss blues driver. And an Ibanez ARX320 guitar. I mic em up with a Shure...fuck I can't remember at the moment... which goes through an M-Audio Fast Track Pro into my computer. For bass I just have an Ibanez Soundgear bass which plugs directly into the Fast Track Pro. The drums are just made in a sequencer program called Acoustica Beatcraft.

It's all recorded and... err, "mixed", using a program called Audacity.

post=146109
They sound rad man i dont know if anyones said this but peoples taste are different. some will likey some wont. if you're going for more classical orientated type music a la the early FF, adding apeggio's are nice (diminished arps are wicked for adding tension) harmonization is all good too. using it in the right place is the key though (there are many types of harmonization, minor thirds, the reletaive minor/major harmony or just next octave up/down) adding more layers (instruments) to get a more fuller sound. and the songs themsleves dont necessarily need to have tempo changes unless its a track for a specific scene in the game. If you've got a good grounding on music theory you should know what im blabbing on about.

If you already know all this, ignore what i said ;)

I'm aware peoples tastes are different, but I'm sort of treating this as if they were clients, and I gotta please them, since that's the attitude I'd have to take if I were actually doing this for somebody. If one of them was ragging on my Myspace track, I might get a little more defensive. Once I get better at it, I'll actually try offering this as a service.

And I know all that theory stuff( Just got myself accepted to music college, actually!), but I probably don't think about it as much as I should. The stuff I actually spend the most brain cells on are probably the chord changes, and the way the chords are voiced.

LockeZ
If you cut the empty blank space out of the end of the song I actually will. Right now that's really the only thing keeping me from adding it to my resources folder.

It might be true that the battle theme is a bit slow in parts and therefore could start to turn into unmemorable background noise if overused, but I would probably use it in a limited number of story battles or boss fights where the same elements simply make it sound more epic.
Pages: first 12 next last