TOUCH ENCOUNTERS

Pages: 1
Hey there. People of the RMN community, I come with yet another daunting question.

In my new game P5, instead of random encounters, I now have touch encounters. Its really late in production to be asking, but it would make sense to have this system in anyway.

I'm trying to figure out how to code back attacks, and pre-emptive attacks with touch encounters, does anyone have a good ideas on how I can be able to do such a meaningful task? Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
You can check the directional facing of "this event" and "hero" by setting variables equal to their facing and then using the conditional. That should take care of most of the sneak attacks and the like. If you're worried about collisions, it's just the On Touch (Event, Hero) trigger type.
Pretty sure Kinetic Cipher had this, check inside it for reference.
post=147237
You can check the directional facing of "this event" and "hero" by setting variables equal to their facing and then using the conditional. That should take care of most of the sneak attacks and the like. If you're worried about collisions, it's just the On Touch (Event, Hero) trigger type.

This works, but there will be bugs since you're not tracking x and y coordinates. If the hero and monster are standing next to each other (rather than the hero standing behind the monster/different x coordinate), and they are facing the same direction, a back attack would still be triggered.

I think there is a tutorial here on RMN? Didn't FG make it?
A'ight, I'll check out the tutorials out then.
If you're going to have touch-encounters then, for the love of <insert relevant deity here> do not set them all to "Step Towards Hero". That is an awful way to do it.

Maybe I could write a series of these things?

Please elbaorate :P My current "system" is pretty reliant on this (seemed like the obvious thing to do :P). They're mindless monsters for the most part so I don't really want any running away from the hero.. But how would you go about it?
Well, if you set every monster on a screen to just "Move Towards Hero" then you're going to end up with a lot of events chasing the hero down at the same time. Not only does this not make sense (how can the enemy on the other side of the cliff see the hero?), but it makes it very possible for the hero to get trapped by a series of encounters that they then can't avoid. It is better to have enemies that just walk around randomly.

There's actually a remedy for that, make it after so many step towards hero, the monster stops for a few seconds and goes back to wandering around, OR you could even teleport the monster back to his original coordinate. Also just don't have so many fucking monsters on the screen at once (I've seen some RM games guilty as charged for this). Anyway I have not toyed with touch encounters for a long time so I can't tell you the exact eventing for it, but 'step towards hero' is still viable.

edit: oh wait, are you talking about "move towards hero" ALONE? and no wandering or radius vision mechanic added?
post=147340
Stepping towards hero is fine if:

- Enemies only start doing it once they see the hero.
- Enemies only do it if you get too close to them.
- Enemies only do it if you make a sound to alert them.

Etc.

What I meant, though, was that you shouldn't set all the monster events to "Move Towards Hero" and leave it as that without any other modifications. I've seen this done and it is horrible with anything more than 5 encounters on a map.

So far I've used it on a map where there's 3 Zombie-like opponents in a cramped corridor :), guess I'm good to go. :D

I'm definitely going to want to use some of those methods with "smarter" enemies though. It'll be awesome.
post=147247
post=147237
This works, but there will be bugs since you're not tracking x and y coordinates. If the hero and monster are standing next to each other (rather than the hero standing behind the monster/different x coordinate), and they are facing the same direction, a back attack would still be triggered.

You don't need to 'track,' just ascertain their relative location by taking x/y once and comparing.
@Fallen-Greiver

Well, unfortunately I just went with the basics and had their Movement Type: Toward Hero. And I do sorta want back attacks for both hero and enemies. Been wanting to do that, but my experiments have proven to be failures unfortunately.
If they're constantly moving towards you, that means they're always facing you...How are you supposed to get behind them for a surprise attack?
Hence the reason why I want to try and fix that, having them just walk towards you would be kind of dull, would it not?
Pages: 1