WHY DO RMXP/VX CHIPSETS LOOK SO CRAPPY?

Pages: first 12 next last
Okay, I've never used VX or XP.. But even on the most well thought-out maps I've seen, the chipsets have looked crappy. I've seen one exception and that was a village in some DIRE and terrible game somebody made that I saw on youtube.

I know 2k/2k3 is really low resolution but even the RTP chipsets could look half-decent if you actually used them properly. Everything looks super-square on XP/VX and everything seems to clash.

Somebody please show me some epic visuals from an XP/VX map?
I'm really not! Maybe it's just me :/

Enlighten me?
You're just stating your taste.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I'd say it's more a matter of creators than the engines themselves. People have been using RM2k3 for a very long time and know how to make it look good. Most of the XP/VX user-base are comparatively much newer and less skilled. It's less so that the tilesets are bad (though VX's definitely has problems) so much as the developers just aren't on the same level as the veterans making "masterpieces" in RM2k3 with an entire console generation worth of rips.

100% of Rm2k/3's resources can be converted to XP or VX, by the way.
I don't think anyone would have brought this up if the mysterious legions of people who have ripped every SNES game known to man were still around to convert everything to XP/VX.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
VX's autotile system is actually neutered compared to even RM2k. That happens to lend itself to being a bit more square.

The 2k3 RTP was just made much better than XP and VX's.
Since we're talking about tastes... let me just say that...

RM2K3 RTP sucks big time, its objects are completely disproportionate, and though it doesn't look as blocky as VX or XP, it's just ugly.

In my opinion RTPs are just time savers, useful for people who want to experience RPG Maker without bothering to use custom graphics, but they should never ever ever be used in serious projects (at least not without heavy editing), because RTP projects will always be RTP projects.
Personally, I enjoy how VX looks (well, my game rather). The only problem for me is that you're only allowed to use so few chipsets... and I suppose making a mountain range could be difficult, due to the blockiness unless you have the right chips for it.
post=147288
I don't think anyone would have brought this up if the mysterious legions of people who have ripped every SNES game known to man were still around to convert everything to XP/VX.

i don't have the time
Solitayre
post=147288

This will do it for you.

There are similar devices out there for VX.
post=147294
post=147288
i don't have the time

What are you talking about, you make no games.
Yeah, the VX autotiling is a pain in the butt to work with when creating new chipsets. It's like Enterbrain purposely made it so that using anything other than RTP is a hassle! I heard that XP's map editor and chipset setup are the best of the bunch, though. Aren't there any pretty XP games?

I am with Darken and think that if the legions of mysterious internet people who ripped the SNES games did it for XP/VX, we'd have "pretty" XP/VX games. But of course that leads to its own set of problems... However, most of the userbase of XP and VX grew up with Playstation RPGs and you can't rip 3D games.

...and I can think of a few serious projects made in the RM2k3 RTP that have gone on to be pretty successful!
post=147297
What are you talking about, you make no games.

have you never wondered why

(p.s. i have been known to make games but that is not the point)
On another note, SNES tiles are 16x16 by default, and so are RM2K3's. VX tiles are 32x32. Yes, you could double SNES tiles, but then you would have to double every single graphic in your game or you would have major consistency issues, and most people aren't skilled enough to pull that off, as simple as it sounds.
post=147301
On another note, SNES tiles are 16x16 by default, and so are RM2K3's. VX tiles are 32x32. Yes, you could double SNES tiles, but than you would have to double every single graphic in your game or you would have major consistency issues, and most people aren't skilled enough to pull that off, as simple as it sounds.
I am going to attempt this with Dragon Quest NES chipsets and graphics. Someday...
Solitayre
post=147301
On another note, SNES tiles are 16x16 by default, and so are RM2K3's. VX tiles are 32x32. Yes, you could double SNES tiles, but than you would have to double every single graphic in your game or you would have major consistency issues, and most people aren't skilled enough to pull that off, as simple as it sounds.

I JUST posted a VERY USEFUL TOOL that will literally do all of the work for you.
noooo it won't
Doubling graphics is not hard, it's the same amount of work as converting everything into indexed images (in VX you do not have to have indexed images)
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I can kind of understand your take for VX, but for XP? It's possible to make some of the most organic-looking maps with that RTP. I actually find that one the best, despite how bland it looks.

And seriously, it's not like you are confined to using them. The RTP is there to get people started with their projects without having to spend so much time on graphics. If you are trying to make a serious project, on the other hand, custom graphics would be preferred.
Pages: first 12 next last